• Tweets

• The Tories election campaign is basically whatever the Daily Mail and Express write about as concerns of the 'British people'.  The latest speech by Sunak about sick note Britain is the latest. Perhaps there needs to be a discussion on the mental health crisis that is stopping a large number of people from working.  When people are having to wait for months for a Mental Health assessment and then a very long time for any therapy treatment, then that is not going to help. The problem with many politicians speeches is that they identify problems, but when it comes to solutions that are going to cost billions, plus take many years to put into place, they shy away from the practical actions that would be required. Instead they will come up with some slight tinkering actions at a cheaper cost, that won't make much difference.  There are probably  hundreds of thousands of disabled people who would like to work, but many employers won't offer them employment as they are not willing to make the reasonable adjustments to make it happen. If the Government pledged to support employers financially with the costs that would be incurred, then I am sure we would see many more disabled people in workplaces.
    • yeah the outstanding balance is correct as I was already in a payment plan with hmrc up till about a year ago when they suddenly stopped taking payments from my bank so me being naive I just left it assuming they would get back in contact to resume payments but instead I got this letter.. I am just glad it won’t show on my credit file as I have only just got it to excellent   
    • I've had a look on their site to see if there is a way to download photos, but haven't found anything. The best thing is to send them a SAR on Monday.  Invest in a 2nd class stamp and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office. That way they will have to produce the original invoice, a windscreen ticket if it exists, photos, etc.  
    • So today I’ve recieved a letter from J&P after a long time this time with forms attached to respond back about how much I can repay etc and that if I do not respond within 30 days court proceedings will apply   I had wrote to NBD bank to inform them of my new address and to resolve this matter last month, but I haven’t had any confirmation or heard back from them. Should I write to them again?
    • Not consumer credit, so won't show on credit records. Are you 100% sure the Tax Credits payment is correct ? Did you receive an overpayment letter ? If not, there is no immediate need to set up a payment plan. Contact HMRC submitting a subject access request and if there is doubt about the overpayment amount, write to ask HMRC for a breakdown calculation of any overpayment amount. Make a subject access request to HMRC - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK Find out how to ask for access to personal data that HMRC holds about you, or someone who has died.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

supplier requested tenancy agreement or I can't register, is this correct??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've recently moved into a property and arrived home to find another letter (despite a previous visit) asking for £1800 from meterplus, acting on behalf of Npower.

I contacted Npower and have been told they will not register me until I send a copy of my tenancy agreement and they will refuse any request to change supplier.

I'm annoyed as the letting agent has already instructed Npower of a change of residency and contacted meterplus and I have already showed my agreement to meterplus when they visited.

My agreement has personal information which I do not want to divulge to npower really.

What I want to know is, can they request a copy of my agreement? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Tell them to get lost, you're not the tennant the debt relates to and they have to prove the debt is yours. That is their responsibility. They cannot ask you for money they are not sure you owe.

Copy the agreement and blot out the personal details you do not want them to see.

It's precisely because of what you are complaining of that they want to see and probably xerox the agreement. This will mean they don't get the wrong tennant should you leave and have arrears.

just the page confirming the address, the landlord details and the dates, and your signatures should do, and it is completely normal in these circumstances for a TA to be requested... otherwise we could all run up a massive bill and say a couple of weeks later we're a new tenant

You probably find that the previous tenant did a runner and left behind a huge bill. Thye want to make sure it si not the same tenant trying to pull a fast one. This is standard practice and nothing sinister.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get it copied and faxed to them

Once you got Npower off your back,go and choose another supplier

don't let Npower sign you up just because they where the last supplier and have a copy of your TA

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Before faxing the agreement npower said they'd make a note on the account and once they got the TA, register me. The TA was faxed to them on Saturday.

A notice of intent to apply for a warrant of entry to either disconnect, fit a pre payment metre or pay £1700 arrived today addressed to the occupier. All previous correspondence has been addressed to the previous tenant.

I managed to trace the previous tenants and they moved out of the property because the original outstanding debt belonged to the occupier before them but npower never sent a bill and the account kept being passed to different solicitors and finally back to npowers in house recovery department. They claim Npower saw their TA and the letting agent also informed them of the change and gave them the previous tenants new address. This has been confirmed by the letting agent, who also told me last week, it had all been sorted out.

I contacted np and they said there is nothing that can be done as the debt is still outstanding and needs paid. Can I do anything to stop npower from fitting a pre-payment metre? :-x

Yes you can refuse them entry as the outstanding money is for a previous tenant. Tough on Npower if it is for a previous tenant, that is not your issue. I would suggest getting the ball rolling to transfer away from Npower as soon as possible and if they blocked your application, you can claim compensation for each day that they prevent you from changing supplier.

Due to all the hassles you could claim compensation as from now but first of all contact Trading Standards and claim that you are being harrassed and thsi is a criminal offence under the Harrassment ACt 1998 and that you want TS to take action as soon as possible due to the seriosness of the case. You could even file a charge of harrassment at your nearest police statoin against Npower as it is NOT a civil matter and the police have to act on it.

Npower are managed by morons who pass the gene down the line. I had big hassles with Npower and know how this people think.

If the OP has supplied all the necessary and Npower have ignored it, the OP can hit Npower with a very big compensation claim, i.e. inconvenience, having tos tay in a hotel until reconnected etc. They are the most useless utility company on the face of this earth. I would nail them for everything they have got.

When they screwed up our account and we were not even registered to them, we got paid out nearly £110 to avoiud us claiming compensation.

Are you paying anyone for your utilities at the moment?

Why have they not accepted your tenancy agreement?

I'm not paying anyone at the moment as I prefer to may utility bills quarterly, I always have. I've only been in the property a little over a month and was awaiting a bill. I have requested a change of supplier, informed NP and then I received the notice yestarday.

They have not told me they are not accepting the TA. They told me I was to be registered and a bill would be sent. Today I have been told they will look into it and issue a bill. I expect it won't be a bill that solely includes my useage.

Thank you Surfer01 for sharing your experience. I informed npower I was switching suppliers and asked when I would receive a final bill, days later the warrant notice arrived!

Both meters are outside so they could access the property without my being present. I'm contacting TS and seeking advice today to hopefully stop them from disconnecting or fitting a pre-payment meter.

Hopefully you have an "opening" meter read from the day you moved in and hopefully TS will help resolve the situation quickly of you stress the urgency. If bailiffs come around, just show them your tenancy agreement and they will back off otherwise they will be in deep poo poo!

Have you contacted them to check if they have received the TA?

Also you won't be able to change suppliers whilst this debt is outstanding, so you need to make sure they have a copy of your agreement and set an account up for you, then you can switch

• 2 weeks later...

Typical NPower

I informed npower I was switching suppliers and asked when I would receive a final bill, days later the warrant notice arrived

When you say the warrant notice arrived do you mean that they have applied for a warrant or that a warrant has been granted by the magistrates court.

a) warrant alreadyy granted.

Were you informed the date time and place of any hearing. If not get onto the magistrates court and complain that you were not so infomed and therefore had no opportunity to defend. Tell that you have only been in the property for a short while and have proved this to NPower who persist in asking you to pay the last tenant's bill.

if you were informed it is possible to have a default warrant put aside so it is worthwhile talking to the court clerk to see what you must do.

a) warrant application only made. You should be informed of the date, time and place of the hearing. Go to the court 30 mins before the appointed time find NPower's warrant oficer and explain your situation and say that you will defend. Almost certainly the application will be withdrawn as there is no time to hear a defence at these rubberstamp default warrant sessions. NPower will then look very carefully at your case as they know you will be defending and they will find that they have no case.

You will of course seek ccompensation from N Power for your trouble.