gweeglzy

supplier requested tenancy agreement or I can't register, is this correct??

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3677 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've recently moved into a property and arrived home to find another letter (despite a previous visit) asking for £1800 from meterplus, acting on behalf of Npower.

I contacted Npower and have been told they will not register me until I send a copy of my tenancy agreement and they will refuse any request to change supplier.

I'm annoyed as the letting agent has already instructed Npower of a change of residency and contacted meterplus and I have already showed my agreement to meterplus when they visited.

My agreement has personal information which I do not want to divulge to npower really.

What I want to know is, can they request a copy of my agreement? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Tell them to get lost, you're not the tennant the debt relates to and they have to prove the debt is yours. That is their responsibility. They cannot ask you for money they are not sure you owe.

Post removed.

Edited by zazen.warrior

Copy the agreement and blot out the personal details you do not want them to see.

It's precisely because of what you are complaining of that they want to see and probably xerox the agreement. This will mean they don't get the wrong tennant should you leave and have arrears.

just the page confirming the address, the landlord details and the dates, and your signatures should do, and it is completely normal in these circumstances for a TA to be requested... otherwise we could all run up a massive bill and say a couple of weeks later we're a new tenant

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get it copied and faxed to them

You probably find that the previous tenant did a runner and left behind a huge bill. Thye want to make sure it si not the same tenant trying to pull a fast one. This is standard practice and nothing sinister.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get it copied and faxed to them

Once you got Npower off your back,go and choose another supplier

don't let Npower sign you up just because they where the last supplier and have a copy of your TA

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Before faxing the agreement npower said they'd make a note on the account and once they got the TA, register me. The TA was faxed to them on Saturday.

A notice of intent to apply for a warrant of entry to either disconnect, fit a pre payment metre or pay £1700 arrived today addressed to the occupier. All previous correspondence has been addressed to the previous tenant.

I managed to trace the previous tenants and they moved out of the property because the original outstanding debt belonged to the occupier before them but npower never sent a bill and the account kept being passed to different solicitors and finally back to npowers in house recovery department. They claim Npower saw their TA and the letting agent also informed them of the change and gave them the previous tenants new address. This has been confirmed by the letting agent, who also told me last week, it had all been sorted out.

I contacted np and they said there is nothing that can be done as the debt is still outstanding and needs paid. Can I do anything to stop npower from fitting a pre-payment metre? :-x

Yes you can refuse them entry as the outstanding money is for a previous tenant. Tough on Npower if it is for a previous tenant, that is not your issue. I would suggest getting the ball rolling to transfer away from Npower as soon as possible and if they blocked your application, you can claim compensation for each day that they prevent you from changing supplier.

Due to all the hassles you could claim compensation as from now but first of all contact Trading Standards and claim that you are being harrassed and thsi is a criminal offence under the Harrassment ACt 1998 and that you want TS to take action as soon as possible due to the seriosness of the case. You could even file a charge of harrassment at your nearest police statoin against Npower as it is NOT a civil matter and the police have to act on it.

Npower are managed by morons who pass the gene down the line. I had big hassles with Npower and know how this people think.

Post removed.

Edited by zazen.warrior

If the OP has supplied all the necessary and Npower have ignored it, the OP can hit Npower with a very big compensation claim, i.e. inconvenience, having tos tay in a hotel until reconnected etc. They are the most useless utility company on the face of this earth. I would nail them for everything they have got.

When they screwed up our account and we were not even registered to them, we got paid out nearly £110 to avoiud us claiming compensation.

Post removed.

Edited by zazen.warrior

Are you paying anyone for your utilities at the moment?

Why have they not accepted your tenancy agreement?

I'm not paying anyone at the moment as I prefer to may utility bills quarterly, I always have. I've only been in the property a little over a month and was awaiting a bill. I have requested a change of supplier, informed NP and then I received the notice yestarday.

They have not told me they are not accepting the TA. They told me I was to be registered and a bill would be sent. Today I have been told they will look into it and issue a bill. I expect it won't be a bill that solely includes my useage.

Thank you Surfer01 for sharing your experience. I informed npower I was switching suppliers and asked when I would receive a final bill, days later the warrant notice arrived!

Both meters are outside so they could access the property without my being present. I'm contacting TS and seeking advice today to hopefully stop them from disconnecting or fitting a pre-payment meter.

Hopefully you have an "opening" meter read from the day you moved in and hopefully TS will help resolve the situation quickly of you stress the urgency. If bailiffs come around, just show them your tenancy agreement and they will back off otherwise they will be in deep poo poo!

Have you contacted them to check if they have received the TA?

Also you won't be able to change suppliers whilst this debt is outstanding, so you need to make sure they have a copy of your agreement and set an account up for you, then you can switch

Typical NPower

I informed npower I was switching suppliers and asked when I would receive a final bill, days later the warrant notice arrived

When you say the warrant notice arrived do you mean that they have applied for a warrant or that a warrant has been granted by the magistrates court.

a) warrant alreadyy granted.

Were you informed the date time and place of any hearing. If not get onto the magistrates court and complain that you were not so infomed and therefore had no opportunity to defend. Tell that you have only been in the property for a short while and have proved this to NPower who persist in asking you to pay the last tenant's bill.

if you were informed it is possible to have a default warrant put aside so it is worthwhile talking to the court clerk to see what you must do.

a) warrant application only made. You should be informed of the date, time and place of the hearing. Go to the court 30 mins before the appointed time find NPower's warrant oficer and explain your situation and say that you will defend. Almost certainly the application will be withdrawn as there is no time to hear a defence at these rubberstamp default warrant sessions. NPower will then look very carefully at your case as they know you will be defending and they will find that they have no case.

You will of course seek ccompensation from N Power for your trouble.

Post removed.

Edited by zazen.warrior