DWP Investigation Harassment?

Ozzman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5007 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently living with my mother and acting as her carer, she receives full DLA and IS. Last year she was forced to fill out pages of forms and attend an interview (despite being disabled) at her 'local job centre' which was quite a few miles away. This was due to an anon. call that we suspected to be malicious jealousy, since she had recently gotten a new disabled modified car on the motability scheme. The accusation was that her ex-husband (my father) was living with her (he has his own place and is also receiving benefits due to ill health), she attended the interview and was told at the end of it that they "expected nothing to come of it". We never heard anything back.

Some months later on now, my father has new neighbours that have apparently just moved in to the house next to his. Three days after they moved in, his new neighbour apparently came round and told him that the DWP had phoned him and were asking questions about both my mother and father, and where they were living, he also mentioned a few personal details that he shouldn't have know. Two days after this, the neighbour comes around again and tells my father that the DWP have called around to his (the neighbours' house), and this time they were taking pictures of the cars in his drive, photographs of his mother that they supposedly mistook for mine, and apparently asking more questions including about a mortgage from years ago.

The whole thing seems very fishy to me, and not at all like how the DWP dealt with the situation the first time when they apparently got the anon. call. It all seems very unethical, especially the questioning and personal details that they have apparently given out to strangers.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this one of the ways the DWP are known to operate, or does it sound like something else? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Oz.

It could be the DWP but I smell a rat. The part of DWP who deals with this would not normally be so "open". Although they would (and can but only in very specific circumstances) ask questions of neighbours, they are usually far more careful about jeapordising a potential case for fraud.

My initial feeling is that it is more likely to be a debt collection agency, or a private investigator working for one. They are notorious for posing as government officials to try and dupe people to give information, and go to great lengths to convince people they are officials. They also regularly phone governement departments pretending to be from other government departments (they are rather proficient in some of the terms used), in attempts to glean information. Doesn't mean your father is in debt - DCA's will hound someone with the same name as the debtor if they think it is who they are looking for.

But again, it's not striking me as usual DCA behaviour either - and they seem to "know" too much, which makes me wonder if it is perhaps DWP afterall.

If it is DWP then they do ask neighbours questions at times to gain information if they are looking at fraud - but they cannot share information with them, nor can any company. Whoever they are (if you ever find out, and especially if it is DWP who should know better) make an official complaint about a breach of the DPA 1998. They shouldn't be sharing personal information about your father with his neighbours, which they do not have a need or a right to know about.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Only my personal opinion, I wouldn't put it past them and 'just because you're paranoid it don't mean that they're not out to get you'.

It sounds more like the old East German Stasi than what you'd expect here.

Apparently they've adopted a new slogan borrowed from the Nazis.

auschwitzs.jpg

But in all seriousness now, I think that Erika has the real answer.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

No this is not the way the DWP operate.

There are two things that immediately spring to mind - the first being how on earth would the DWP get the new next door neighbours phone number, the second is that even if they were conducting surveillance they would certainly not be openly taking photographs of cars on the drive.

Neither would they stop an unknown woman on the street to discuss a mortgage.

It doesn't ring true to me.......

It could be the Daily Mail trying to ferment hatred of the ill and disabled with yet another one of their scurrilous and completely misinformed "stories".

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

the first being how on earth would the DWP get the new next door neighbours phone number

That is easier than you think, this is a government dept remember.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

the DWP would not know about a mortgage, as mentioned it would probably be some form of a debt collector and if it is, they have breached so many laws re data protection etc...

Have a word with the neighbour and see if they can get some ID or a name and phone number. Perhaps they can play along and say that if they get any information they will call the them but need a phone number.

that way you can do some more investigating. If you get a phone number, stick it into google and im sure some details will come up.

• Haha 1

Ozzman, I am very sorry for you I find anything to do with personal information and the way its misused really annoying. Its probably because it was a big part of my job for 25 years.

Firstly your anon call, how awful. I have just moved back to the marital home after my hsband died in tragic circumstances, we were separated but still cared, I told the neighbours I was thinking of boarding it up and moving abroad, that scared them and made them worry about their misable property prices.

Data rptection rules apply to all organisations DWP debt collectors and icludes all information including filed paperwork not on computer systems. Find out who this is and demand subject access within 28 days.

Experian hold masses of info, but if you look at your own file it will tell you who has made applications to experian for information. ie a search by orange for mobile phone contract etc.

Me I am proceeding well with my quest for justice on behalf of my late husband.

It could be the Daily Mail trying to ferment hatred of the ill and disabled with yet another one of their scurrilous and completely misinformed "stories".

:lol: nice lol well spotted sure

you don't work for the Daily Mail :eek::lol:

dk

you don't work for the Daily Mail :shock::lol:
Au contraire, I think that I could be next on their "hit-list" though since I made this complaint about them to the Press Complaints Commission.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/261429-welfare-atosh-government-debate-23.html#post2993085

:D i think you might be correct on being next for the "hit-list", they are on your "*hit-list". :D

I had already read the post to which you linked to

keep on posting while there tied up with you they may leave the rest of us alone

;) i'm sure if they hit you :eek: we will get chalk and slate so you can carry on hitting them. ;)

dk

• 2 weeks later...
the DWP would not know about a mortgage, as mentioned it would probably be some form of a debt collector and if it is, they have breached so many laws re data protection etc...

Yes they would, a simple credit search would reveal that.

Still does not sound like the DWP though. If I was doing joint working with a DWP investigator and he did this I'd be out of there like a shot!

Yes they would, a simple credit search would reveal that.

Still does not sound like the DWP though. If I was doing joint working with a DWP investigator and he did this I'd be out of there like a shot!

Well have I got news for you all. The DWP have been trialling using the services and staff of Experian™ for fraud investigations and they get paid by results. The DWP have said that they were encouraged by the results and would be expanding the Experian™ contract to cover more regions.
Based on its existing work with the Government and its experience of tackling fraud in the public and private sector, Experian estimates that over £1 billion could be claimed back for the taxpayer and public purse.
Experian plc - £1bn of savings through better fraud detection in public sector

Read the full story from The Independent.

Credit agencies lined up to pinpoint benefit cheats - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

So now the government is paying private companies to spy on benefit claimants - echoes of East Germany & Romania under Ceausescu - why isn't there more in the mainstream media about this ? what happened to data protection ? The companies will cross-reference everything about a claimant, & go around asking neighbours for information, besmirching the claimant's reputation & raising doubts about the claimant's character in the neighbour's mind. Charming.

You should make a formal complaint to the data protection officer, see if you can get a statement in writing from your neighbour stating what information was shared & what questions were asked.

talking about experian for a sec , i emailed a list of discrepencies to them (7 in total) :rolleyes:(put on what you like,why dont ya.)

" i have no faiht/ confidence in these organisations(atos/dwp any more.)

"true and accurate " information "yeah right":rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Oz, is it possible that the DWP have found any savings or any similar thing not declared by your mother that could initiate a deeper look into her ciricumstances? In relation to the DWP asking questions of neighbours, they certainly would. Several months ago, my wife received a letter from the Council Tax office telling her that her son (which she doesn't have) needs to contact them as he has left the property in which he was living and owes £700+ in unpaid CT. The name of the "son" was on the letter. The "son" is the son of one of our neighbours. That may sound a little confusing, but in essence, what the letter was really asking is: Dear Mrs......would you be prepared to tell us if you know where so and so lives. My wife wrote back to them telling them that she does not have a son and not to contact her again. (They had written a similar letter months before the one I am writing about, but I can't remember the details it contained but my wife just gave it to the neighbour and did not respond to the CT office) Don't think that they won't openly take photos of anything they want either. If they can't get their info undercover, they will just get it openly. And remember that they are allowed to film anyone in a public place. Furthermore, this Government especially, will back them to the hilt.

Keep us informed Oz as we are with you all the way. And remember - Never "give" them any info that could incriminate yourselves. What I mean is that if you "give" it to them, means that they didn't have it already. In other words, don't put your foot in it.

Wishing you a peaceful outcome mate.

Hi, You can probably tell if a debt collector has been looking for you. Order your experian account, its free for the first month as long as you remember to cancel it after the month.

You will be able to see if a company you do not recognise has been looking at your account.

I was searched by Edit solutions (i didnt give my permission) I googled this company and found out it was an investigation company, I got their phone number and phoned them and they told me that they had been hired to trace my address, they actually told me who had hired them.

I have complained to Experian but they have so far ignored my complaint.

I thought that my credtit details were private but it looks as if these companys do let unauthorised companys to search your report.

Edit told me that they have to state whether of not the search has been given permission and they had told experian thatthey had no permission but they were alowwed to look at the report anyway.

Its unbelievable that private companys can have so much access to our private information and we cant do anything about it.

Edited by saintly_1
requested

Hi cbbc, would it be possible for OZ to check if the DWP were looking at his family's bank accounts. Or is there anyway of finding this kind of information out?? It would be good not only if Oz does a search, but anyone who thinks they may be targetted by anyone else.

Cheers

Hi, I dont know. I'm going from my own experience rather than any inside knowledge of how this works.

I would think though that the DWP would look at your bank accounts with out you being able to find out until they wanted you to know.

It wasnt the DWP who was looking at my account.