BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• you cant reset anything by sending an sar   BCW are solicitors, who are their clients?   dx
    • the dca is BCW - i haven't heard from them since early 2015,   they wrote offering discounts etc, which seemed a strange approach straight off the bat  - this was when i told them i didn't acknowledge the debt, it was long-since time-barred, that i didn't believe that they had an enforceable agreement and they could either issue proceedings or bugger off.  I haven't heard a word since, via email or post, and assumed that my position had been accepted.   I check Experian and Equifax every month, and was advised to check TransUnion for completeness, which is where it shows.   If i make an SAR, is this likely to wake them up, or serve as an acknowledgment, or should I just wait until the end of the year when it would, i assume, drop off in any case?
    • dca please.?   Barclays would have marked the A/c Defaulted on or before sale, and issued a default notice a dca debt buyer cannot issue a default notice    send Barclays an sar.   the A/c was opened whilst resident in Scotland that means the debt is statute barred and extinguished,, dead gone parrot. though that has no relevance to a credit file.    
    • scan it all up to one multipage PDF read upload carefully   I suspect its the usual stuff they troll out for vanquis card debt those  application forms are not a credit agreement    lots of previous Lowell claimform threads here to read that explains why.   dx  
    • In late 2014, I received correspondence from a DCA acting on behalf of Barclays, pursuing a student overdraft of around £1k from 2003. I hadn't used this account in many years, well over six, and it is my belief (though, in full honesty,   I can't actually remember, and can't prove anything) that it was closed a couple of years later in around 2004/2005/2006 (and it wasn't on my credit file in 2014), and the overdraft transferred to RBS (an account also closed so long ago that it is long since gone from my credit file. I certainly don't recall using it after 2004, and it was quite common then to transfer student accounts/overdrafts between banks.   I emailed the DCA, stating that I didn't acknowledge the debt, that it would be statute-barred in any case, and requested an original credit agreement. None was forthcoming,   after some back and forth, I invited them to issue proceedings if they felt they had an enforceable credit agreement. They did not respond.   I am currently looking at applying for a mortgage, and have noticed that whilst this account doesn't appear on Equifax or Experian, it is on my TransUnion file, showing as set up in 2003 and defaulted in 2015.   Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? The 2019 Doyle case might make my contention that it was statute-barred somewhat shakier, though, equally, I haven't heard anything about it in over five years,   I cannot believe that, if the account was not closed/settled in the mid-2000s as I believe, that Barclays would not have issued a default notice before 2015. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?   I want this off my credit file, even if the account wasn't closed in 2004, I believe that Barclays/its DCA are trying to pull a fast one by recording a default in January 2015, but given that neither party has any records with which to validate their belief/position, it hardly seems fair that I pay out for something that either doesn't exist or ought to be statute barred? A further point is that whilst it is Barclays, the account was opened at a branch in Scotland (where I lived/studied), where I believe that the Limitation period is five years, so, even if it transpired that the default was legitimately in 2015, would the matter now be statute barred anyway? Or would it be six years given that I now live in England?
  • Our picks

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3502 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I'm quite worried that I've had a CCJ, but can't be sure. This sounds ridiculous, granted, but it happened over my council tax in 2004.

I split with my partner, registered for council tax, but no letter arrived. The council said they'd sent it- they hadn't. i wrote letters, emails and chased them, but found out later that they had been billing ME for MY council tax at my partners address! They carried on doing it and it was quite an acrimonious split from my partner and he was not passing on my mail. I was only 20 at the time, and when I left the house, thinking no more of it and moved back to my parents for uni, one day a bailiff turned up at my house demanding £800 of council tax. I was so scared that i paid this out of my student loan!

Now, i look back and think, hang on- can a bailiff come to your house WITHOUT a CCJ? I'm awaiting my credit report, but i'm worried about this. I never saw ANY paperwork from the council, so would never know what had happened! Does this sound to you like a CCJ, or can a council order bailiffs from a DCA?

x

urm...thinks your getting your knickers in a a twist here.

councils get liability orders [not CCJ's]- that results in the bailiffs if you dont pay [and sadly i bet you were well fleeced by the bailiff here but hay ho]

bailffs are NOTHING to do withDCA's [debt collection agencies]

bailiffs are assigned by a court after it has been to court and have powers etc issued to them [though they nearly always fleece you on illegal fees]

DCA's have NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER

and can only send threat-o-grams or be a pest on the phone .

they can do NOTHING to you.

but sadly fleece you even more if you let them.

HTH

dx

Ah- see, a week ago i was asked if i'd ever had a CCJ i thought, no! Then afterwards thought..hang on... what was that?

Given all this, do you think that the council served a liability order on me then? Is this, in credit terms, as bad as a ccj? When will it expire? Thank you!

doesn't show at all

dx

Thanks! it's put my mind to rest! x

Nope - it's not recorded at the court nor any credit reference agency.