Victim no more v. B B Barclays

victimnomore
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here we go - I'm on the path now!

Amazingly (and it would amaze anyone who saw my "filing system"), I was able to locate all my statements covering the last six years.

Totalling up all the "Unauthorised Overdraft", "Paid Referral" and "Charge for item returned unpaid" fees came up with a staggering 4figure amount. Considering that during all this time I've been on Income Support you can probably imagine the damage and stress caused by this leaching of MY money.

It is, of course, perfectly legitimate for banks to charge for their services; but what is totally despicable is that all their charges should be rolled up and dumped on those who can least afford to pay.

Anyway, back to the plot .. ..

I've sent in my initial letter, recorded delivery to Barclays registered office, requesting repayment of the total within 14 days.

I'm now waiting to see if anything happens before going to the next step of sending in the LBA (letter before action).

A quick solution would be nice of course, but at least part of me is looking forward to getting to a court claim so that they'll have to pay interest as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Victimnomore

"Barclays - it looks like an eagle but it's really a vampire bat"

• Confused 1

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted :)

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks, Crashbandicoot. Good luck to you too!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Just had a phone call from Barclays.

It was not from head office (where my letter was sent) nor from my local branch, but from the "debt" department in Manchester, and making no referrence to my dispute.

He called to let me know that I am currently about £7 over my overdraft limit, and anxious to know what I was going to do about it. He claimed that whenever an account goes "over" it is referred to them. Funny I've never had a call from them before though .. .. hmm.

He seemed pleasant enough in himself, but did manage to issue a mildly worded threat that my overdraft facility "could be taken away".

Is this some new sly backdoor tactic, a guerilla-war-type counter-attack? Or am I a paranoid old fool?

Anybody else had anything like this?

Time, methinks, to activate my "parachute" account.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

The "parachute" account is now open, and should be fully operational within the next few days.

I'm going to be transferring all my payments (in and out) to my new account, so then Barclays attempts to drag things out and/or to hastle me won't affect my day-to-day finances. Ha!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

The "parachute" account is now open, and should be fully operational within the next few days.

I'm going to be transferring all my payments (in and out) to my new account, so then Barclays attempts to drag things out and/or to hastle me won't affect my day-to-day finances. Ha!

Just sending some good luck your way :oops:

:pNikki:p

22/8/06 Subject Access Request sent to Barclays

21/9/06 Statements here.

22/9/06 Sent request for repayment of charges. £2,380 :-o

19/10/06 LBA sent

19/10/06 Barclays send offer, Nikki sends thanks but no thanks letter

FAQs :::::::::::::::::::::::::- PLEASE READ THESE FIRST!!! -::::::::::::::::::: Read these, they really do help!

Received, with thanks, Nikki.

And returned, with good wishes!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

14 days from my first request expired yesterday.

So sent letter before action (LBA), and it was delivered to Barclays registered office today.

Incidentally they hit me with another "Charge for item unpaid" while I was waiting, so my LBA included;

"I sent a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming in my original letter of 20 August 2006. I enclose an updated copy since you appear to be continuing your policy of applying such charges to my account."

I'm not going to let them get away with anything!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Received a letter in today's post, from (though not personally signed by) "Mike Brophy, Head of Customer Relations":-

I refer to your recent letter regarding the charges you have incurred.

All correspondence has now been passed to me in accordance with our internal complaints

process. I am committed to resolving your complaint as quickly as possible and I will

investigate the matter thoroughly with due regard to your comments.

I expect to be able to contact you again by 27 September.

Please find enclosed a copy of our complaints leaflet, which explains how we will deal with

this matter.

Thank you for your patience. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not

hesitate to contact me on 0207 116 4561

Yours sincerely ...

Banks eh? If they can't bully you they'll patronize you!

My reply:-

I today received your letter dated 4 September.

I note your phrase “I am committed to resolving your complaint as quickly as possible”

You enclosed your leaflet “Don’t hold back your feedback” from which I note that you are already in breach of your own complaint handling procedures.

Bearing in mind that my letter was received at your registered address on 22 August 2006, I quote from your own leaflet:

“We will do our best to sort out your complaint immediately.” (you failed to do so) “If we can’t do that, we always aim to deal with your complaint by the next day.” (you failed to do so) “Sometimes it may take longer to fully investigate your concerns. If this is the case, we will .. .. Write to you within five days” (you failed to do so)

I regret that I find your response to my letter of 20 August 2006 to be wholly inadequate.

In view of the fact that my original letter gave you ample time to respond (as your leaflet now confirms) I would refer you to my letter dated 5 September 2006 received at your registered office 6 September 2006 and headed “LETTER BEFORE ACTION”, which I trust you will treat with more urgency.

Yours faithfully

As always, OUR timetable not theirs. (Life is too short for Barclay's tme-scale!)

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bit of a revelation! It concerns overdraft interest.

I knew that overdraft interest could be reclaimed if, and only if, it related to an overdraft or part of an overdraft caused by unlawful fees. I assumed that it would be very complicated, if not impossible, to work out how much of the overdraft interest was involved; and I also assumed that it wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Hating the idea of the bank getting away with anything though, I’ve just had another look at my account history. The result was, honestly, SHOCKING!!

The first shock was that I could work it out at all, but thanks to a helpful (more shock!) feature of Barclays statements I could, fairly easily.

When Barclays are about to put extra charges on your account, on normal PRINTED statements they include, at the end of each of their accounting periods, a section headed “About your next statement”. This section states the dates of the period (e.g. 8 Aug 2006 to 7 Sep 2006), the date the charges will be applied and of course what those charges are.

I realised that if I looked at each of these “About your next statement” entries in turn (fortunately I have al my printed statements on file going back well over 6 years), I needed to ask a simple question for each one; was the cumulative total of unlawful fees at the start of the accounting period greater than the maximum account overdraft within the period? If so, then without the unlawful charges there would have been no overdraft and the overdraft interest would then itself be an unlawful charge and therefore claimable.

I was amazed to find that, for every single accounting period in the last six years, even at the start, my overdraft was being caused solely by previous unlawful charges. I feel a very deep sense of outrage that, despite being charged £2,520 for being overdrawn, I have never in all that time had a GENUINE overdraft.

Therefore ALL the overdraft interest in the last six years I am now considering to be unlawful and I intend to reclaim it together, with the statutory 8% per annum on it, in my imminent court claim.

Oh, and is it worth it? Definitely, it’s over £100 even before statutory interest.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

I've just got in from town where I submitted my claim in person at the local County Court. Claimed for Fees plus Overdraft Interest on Fees plus Statutory Interest.

The court machine grinds into action .. ..

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Best of luck with this victim no more and thanks for your advice! ;)

Fight one more round. When your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard, fight one more round. When your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired that you wish your opponent would crack you one on the jaw and put you to sleep, fight one more round - remembering that the man who always fights one more round is never whipped.

James Corbett

Finally got my "nice" letter from Barclays - I was beginning to feel ignored!

As a "gesture of goodwill" (Aw, bless 'em) they're going to let me have back £1,000 of the money they've "taken" from me - they're only going to keep most of it, oooh goody!

Putting aside the sarcasm, I'm tempted to send them a two word reply (the second word being "off"), but I suppose I'll have to wrap it up in more polite terms! "I accept but only as part payment .. .. blah blah .."

Also today they've charged yet another 30.00 Paid Referral Fee on my account. I wonder if that's another "goodwill gesture". Or is it another kind of gesture entirely?

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

Received "Notice of Issue" from the County Court today.

The court will send the claim to the defendant, Barclays, and it'll be deemed served on 29 September giving them till 13 October to reply. We progress!!

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

am at the same stage as you victim - 28 days for their defence is up on the 17 october...i await with interest what my man adrain ruffhead has to say about all this as, so far, it's just been standard letters and leaflets - bring me the meat!!!

all the best old chap

nutty

Thanks, nutty, all the best to you too.

Yes, bring it on Barclays!

WE ARE READY FOR YOU.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

reading your posts with interest. Just about to start my claim, a staggering £3430! I'm a bit apprehensive as I am still currently employed by them, (three weeks notice to go!). BTW there has (to date there has been no internal literature issued on this subject).

Well, you're in an interesting position, rugbymum. Nice to have you along.

(I'm glad I'm already on record as saying how nice the actual people who work for Barclays are - my argument is with the head office policy-makers, honest!!)

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

SHOCK!!

Barclays have withdrawn their £1000 "goodwill" gesture, unless of course as "full and final". What a surprise!!

It took yet another "Customer Relations Manager" (each letter I get is from a different one) to write it, yet funnily enough the wording is identical to letters other members have received at this stage.

Ah well, onward and upward .. .. ..

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

• 2 weeks later...

Today's post brought "Notice that Acknowledgement of Service Has Been Filed" from my local County Court.

"The Defendant filed an Acknowledgfement of Service on 11 October 2006

The defendant responded to the claim indicating an intention to defend all of the claim.

The defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim ... to file a defence. .. .. &c. "

Gosh, who'd a thought it??

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

thought i'd drop by old boy - it IS night time after all...eight days to go, eh? been keeping up with your progress - doing well so far; if your claim is anything like mine (and all the others) then they'll file their (very standard) defence a sliver before the clock strikes TOO LATE!!

if you want a little advance peek at what they're going to say then check out the druid's thread for a transcript and save your pennies for the allocation questionnaire and fee..then it's sit back and wait for the date...

best of luck old chap

nutty

PS. who's your he/she at barclays? the one that is to file the defence that is..

xx

Thanks for the good wishes nutgatherer, and the same to you.

Yes I've seen the standard so-called defence. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy (I need a laugh!) and really looking forward to sending in that AQ and taking another step forward.

I haven't got a name for the Barclays contact yet - I suppose that'll be on the defence when I get it.

Victimnomore

Barclays Case1

Barclays Case2

Halifax Case1

Halifax Case2

• 2 weeks later...

Vernon, open a thread of your own so that we can track your progress and it will be easier for anyone to help you.

Go here and scroll down to bottom left and click "New Thread".

In answer to your question though, If you are not using Moneyclaimonline, use your local court, unless you happen to live in the Knutsford catchment area when that would be then your local Court. I'm not sure about the Court fee though, the Court Staff will advise you on that.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman