DVLA Failing to help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone in the wide world of the web can give me some guidance. I have failed to get any anywhere else.

I needed to change the status of my vehicle tax from Disabled/Exempt to normal tax status in 2008. I thought this would be a simple task. It would seem that I was wrong.

I called the DVLA helpline and explained what I wanted to do. "Oh yes no problem" I was told by the person on the phone. Apparently all I needed to do was to go to my local office or post the documents, marked with the necessary changes and post it to the DVLA at Swansey. I did this and awaited a response. Nothing happened. For three months. (I had been told it could take up to two)

Called up the DVLA who said that they had no record of any of this. I then asked where my documents were. "Probably held up in the system. Wait a while more and I will flag it here"

This has gone on and on and on. by phone and by letter.

Today I was attended by a bailiff, who demanded that I pay a fine and costs totalling nearly £1000 pounds. For not sorting out the tax on my vehicle!

In order that she would leave I had to pay the fine.

The DVLA call-centre are very polite but no help, my letters have never generated a reply and I still don't have my Log Book.

I just don't know where to go or what to do next!

Shame you didn't deal with your local office, who would turn this round within a week at most.

What was your fine for? And if indeed a bailiff, what was the Court and the charge? If it was for using the vehicle untaxed etc, it may be hard to challenge, but we need more info.

The bottom line would be in proving to the court you were prevented from retaxing due to the change, but if this ran into months rather than weeks, this option becomes less viable. The fact the bailiffs are now seeking payment, I cannot think of a valid reason that would permit this fine to be recalled. You may simply have to pay what they claim, and regularise the vehicle asap before more fines accrue.