Stolen vehicle subject to late licensing penalty?

Squizz84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

My car was stolen last September, and was found by the police a few weeks later completely burned out and unrepairable.

Since this happened, I have done the following:

- Reported this to the police (obviously)

- Reported this to my insurer

- Called the DVLA to see if any action was needed on my part (twice)

- Called the DVLA to see if I was eligible to claim back unspent tax due to the car being stolen.

Each person I have spoken to from the police/dvla have stated that there is a PNC report generated by the police that informs the DVLA that the car is stolen and no longer in my possession.

I have recently recieved a mail informing me that because I haven't taxed this vehicle, I am liable for an £80 "penalty".

I responded to the first letter by informing them again that the car was stolen, and gave them the crime reference number.

I have since recieved another letter acknowledging that I may no longer be the owner of this vehicle but notification of its disposal was not recieved as required.

I have called my local police station and spoken to the officer who dealt with the crime, and was again told that no action was needed on my part because the DVLA are notified automatically.

On calling the Continuous Registration Office today, I was told that this wasn't the case - they had no record of my phone calls and I am still liable. I offered to give her the direct line to the police officer I had spoken with, and she dismissed me out of hand saying that they would not do this. She also claims that no calls to the DVLA are recorded, so I can't prove that anyone told me this.

I cannot find anything on the DVLA website, direct.gov or within the The Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) Regulations 2002 (which is referenced in the 2nd letter, specifically regulation 22 to 24)or anything in the V5C that offers any guidelines on what to do in this situation - can any of you offer any advice?Thanks in advance

This is what I thought, and what I've been told on several occasions.

Would you suggest that I write another letter highlighting this and tell them to take it to court if they have any further problems?

I may also call the DVLA to ask for advice regarding stolen vehicles and record it, see if I get the same response again.

Did you ever apply for the unused portion of the tax back? Or was there less than a month left?

I would certainly write to them again, again giving them the crime number, and point out the guidance on the governments own site says that you did not need to do anything.

I suspect that because the system is automatic you got a numpty who knows nothing about it!

It seems that you are still the registered keeper and they have not been informed that the vehicle has been scrapped and so they are chasing you for the late licensing penalty. As it was recovered, although burnt out, DVLA may not have been informed of its condition and think that you got it back.

Edited by Raykay