Need to save £6000 in 3yrs-How should i do it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, my parents took out an endowment policy 22 years ago to pay their mortgage and unfortunately it is going to be between £6000 and £7000 under what they need! This endowment matures in three years, i explained that if they were to start saving for it now (using the amount of £6000 as an example) then they would have to save £166 per month for 36 months. My question is has anyone any advice as to any other options other than a simple saving account over three years? After the endowment nightmare they dont want any/very little risk!

All answers greatly appreciated!

Ps-i believe they pay the endowment payments and the social security (or whatever the latest name for them is) pay the interest because my dad is semi-disabled.

They are basic rate tax payers! My mum is 62 and my Dad is 64....65 next week! Does this info help please?

• 4 weeks later...

So you're not asking how they should actually scrimp and save to find the money, rather you want to know where they can store it safely once they have it set aside, is that right?

I think some sort of savings account would maybe be the best option to be honest. If i was in that situation I think it's what I would do. Maybe a 6 or 12 month notice account would suit if they're absolutely not going to be taking any money out at short notice. They usually offer higher interest rates. Or maybe a cash ISA?

Have a look around (google, Which?, moneysupermarket.com etc) and see which banks or building societies offer the best rates on different types of accounts. Some savings accounts are pitiful, some are not too bad. Some offer better rates to online customers as well.

Hope that might help you some :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Cash Isa is probably a good idea however NS&I do a direct saver account with a interest rate at the moment of 2%

its easy access and can be done online, also its safe

that might be the way to go - Good Luck

Depositing the money in a good security bank with low (3-4%) interest would be a good option for you, and I have to agree that storing so much money in your home is not a good thing, even if it isn't very much some crazy "guys" might want to steal it from you so you better keep it secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Have they spoken to their mortgage provider. They may be able to arrange to pay extra off their mortgage each month, which should reduce the amount required to be paid off at the end of the term.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D