car write off?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Today I had a lorry sideswipe me (his fault).

My front bumper was ripped off, the passenger electric mirror was ripped off, the passenger front and rear doors are very badly scratched and a dent along the whole thing (will need new skins on each) the front wheel arch on passenger side is dented and scratched, the front panel is scratched and dented on passenger side and cosmetic damage here and there on the other side due to being pushed into trees/bushes on the driver side. the temperature sensor and a few wires are also hanging out where the front bumper once was

i drive an 04 plate vectra 1.8ls with 57k miles. i bought it last year with 39k miles form £3600. do you think they will write the car off? I loved my Vectra but will buy another if written off. i dont want a vectra that has been tainted by damage even if repaired.boom.gif

Cheers all,

Steve

Although I can understand your reluctance to keep a car that has had to have major repair work, you will have no say in whether it is repaired or written off by the insurance companies. As far as I know, they will use their "normal" formula of repair cost against car value to determine if it is a write off which used to be if the repair would be more than about 50% of the current car value.

Don't be so wishful for a write off though, because the value the insurance companies put on your car doesn't always reflect what you think it is worth!

HI Thanks for the response.

I understand they will give me marketvalue etc and will offer a low amount if written off.

I have done some research on this forum and others reccommending to copy and paste cars of similar age and mileage etc and to use these prices as examples of what the payout should be. I can be a tough cookie when i need to be but understand it may be a drawn out process. Also, Until they payout (assuming its written off - it will certainly cost more than 50% of the cars value), they will have to pay for my hire car cost, which will keep putting the payout price up.

Incidentally the 3rd party admitted liability (said he didnt see me as i was in his blind spot) to the police offer attending) and so the cost to me will be zero.

thanks,

Steve

I can be a tough cookie when i need to be but understand it may be a drawn out process. Also, Until they payout (assuming its written off - it will certainly cost more than 50% of the cars value), they will have to pay for my hire car cost, which will keep putting the payout price up.

Be careful in this area also regarding hire costs. These are not unlimited and (for example) even as the innocent party, you are required to keep all costs incurred to a minimum. This could include buying a cheap "runaround" whilst the claim is progressing if the alternative seems to be a fairly long term hire, especially if an offer is made to you which you reject and the hire is now going beyond what the insurance companies think is "reasonable".

The car has now been written off and they have offered me £2300 which of course I have rejected.

I spoke to the case officer yesterday who understood that 2300 would not buy me anything like what I had, and I told her of the evidence I have gathered of 10 2004 1.8ls vectras with 50-60k miles which all cost between £3100 and £3800. I have omitted the lowest costing and the ridiculously high costing and sought the median.

The case officer seemed to agree of the low offer and said it was a starting point. In lieu of the evidence I told her I would not accept under £3300 which I hope the next offer will be closer to.

Scarletboyambyth

As the other driver was at fault, you can sue him for the difference.

Whilst your contract with your insurance allows them to offer trade value, you are entitled to be put back into the same position as you were in before the 'accident'.

As the other driver was at fault, you can sue him for the difference.

Whilst your contract with your insurance allows them to offer trade value, you are entitled to be put back into the same position as you were in before the 'accident'.

I'm not convinced that would stand up.

The principle of insurance is to be put back into the position you were in and that duty lies with the OP's insurers (if they are fully comprehensive and choose to claim from them). In the event that happens the TP insurers are only responsible and liable for uninsured losses. The OP's insurers do not offer trade value, they are bound by contract to offer what they think it would take to replace the car with a similar one, their offer will be based on what the engineer/assessor values the car at, and to be fair it is rarely GG trade value that is offered.

(The OP does have the choice to deal direct with the TP insurers and not their own insurers)

The OP cannot have 'two bites of the cherry' ie to accept one figure from their own insurers as being the value of the car and then to persue a claim against the other insurers stating they were paid out less than market value and are now seeking the difference.

I am 99% certain the judge would find for the other side if such a claim were made.

Mossy

Just an another update and to say thanks!

I have received the requested figure of £3300.

I cannot praise bell insurace enough. They have been great and I can now find another car. any suggestions for circa £3500 and a car big enough and comfy enough to drive 20,000 miles a year?

Steve