• Tweets

• we have known for a very very long time that 9/10 the OC never knows IRRWW are chasing debtors nor  in some cases even taking money from them that the OC never ever see!! IDRWW pockets it -  free money - lets all go on a staff holiday. there was an article some years back whereby that quoted some +£4M debtors had paid to IDRWW on UAE debts that when contacted the originating banks knew nothing about....😎  
    • let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
    • DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Chalkitup v Barclaycard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Totally confused on this account - advice needed please....

Background is:

2006 - Ran into financial difficulties - started Debt Managment Plan with CCCS - Paid monthly way over what I could really afford as was scared by all the threats etc that I received from creditors / DCA's.

2007 - Found CAG - started CCA requests to a few "difficult" creditors

2007 to Feb 2010 - got some creditors removed from my CCCS DMP because they did not comply to CCA requests

Feb 2010 - Big bust up with CCCS (separate thread) as they refused to remove creditors from DMP anymore even if they sent nothing in response to CCA request - I went through annual CCCS review and as it happens I did not have enough cash left over each month to pay creditors even £5 each (CCCS told me the minimum they allow) - CCCS stopped my DMP and advised I offer £1 a month to each creditor and see if I can manage on that!!

Now dealing with "lots" of original creditors and DCA's on my own (well not true actually - CAG and I are dealing with them) but Barclaycard are confusing me:-

Three weeks ago - BC send me letter that Repayment Arrangement Cancelled

Next day - I send CCA request

Six days later - I receive from BC a blank application form and Conditions of use (neither have any date reference on) and letter saying we can send these now in response to CCA request (been all through this with other creditors)

Following week - I get up to date T&Cs sent to me from BC

Two days ago - receive DN from Mercers giving me till 02 July to pay arrears (sent 1st class and dates are correct:mad: but there is an ongoing issue on CAG re not sent from original creditor)

Today - I receive June statement from BC saying pay arrears immediately and £xxxx by 15/07 - They add Mercers are now dealing with account - And they know I have financial difficulties at present plus CCCS took me off their DMP because not enough cash yet BC have added £12 late payment fee and to add insult to injury they are now adding £260+ a month interest from now on.

Absolutely no point me offering £1 a month (and I will not anyway after receiving their docs in reply to my CCA request) when they are adding £270+ a month in interest and fees ......

Any advice please?

Thank you

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A little humour in these bleak times ....

Mercers logic for Caggers to learn ..... Mercers do not ask security questions when they phone us ........

According to my Truecall online log Mercers have phoned me two or three times a day for the last three weeks but as they are using an autodialler they have not got through the Truecall system.

The last three days they have manually dialled me but I have not been in and no messages have been left. Yesterday I received a phone call and answered ......

Mercers chap ........ can you give me your year of birth Mr Chalkitup

Chalkitup ........ I do not give security details over the phone

Mercers ........... I am not asking for your birthdate just the year you were born

Chalkitup .......... but that is part of my birthdate isn't it?

Mercers ........... NO !!!!!!!! .... your birthdate would be the date month and year you were born and I have just asked you for the year

Chalkitup ........... but that is still a security question isn't it?

Mercers ............ NO !!!!! ..... a security question would be like (AND HE ACTUALLY SAID THIS ... ALL RECORDED) ..... what year were you born ???????? ..... then a silent pause until he says ...... no I mean what is your birthdate:-D ..... at this point I could not stop laughing and he said ... the answer would be something like 9 .. 4 .... 87 (not my birthdate by the way) .... I am just asking for the year you were born

Chalkitup ......... yea .... but the year I was born would be part of the answer to the question you just told me would be a security question and hence makes the question what year were you born a security question and could be used for i/d theft

Mercers ..... (having realised he was talking Planet Numpty language) ...... I understand your dilemma but until you give me your year of birth I can not discus the account and our conversation will only benefit you in the long run .....

Chalkitup ...... getting bored now so I told him I had put in writing to Barclaycard that everything must be in writing and that I had also requested that my telephone numbers were removed from their systems as I am legally entitled to do - then I added "of course it is much better having a paper trail of everything for when legal action takes place but the transcripts from all the telephone calls I automatically record can do just as well in some circumstances"

The Mercers chap suddenly finished the call in quite a hurry!!

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Have you sent an account in dispute letter?

'Six days later - I receive from BC a blank application form'

Hello,

Not sent anything to Mercers or Barclaycard since received DN three weeks ago ........Not sure which route to go ...... I can either .....

Send Mercers dispute letter and ask if the blank application form and Conditions of use (neither have any date reference on) that BC sent me are "true, honest and accurate copies of my executed agreement".

I will then await their reply .......

Or do I .....

Just await a termination letter?

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Is the DN laid out in the prescribed fashion?

What do they state you must pay to rectify the account, and how much time have they allowed?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Is the DN laid out in the prescribed fashion?

What do they state you must pay to rectify the account, and how much time have they allowed?

Hello Bazooka Boo,

Interesting point re DN .......

I have received exactly the same DN as in link below ... ... from Mercers?? (not Barclaycard) and dates are .... dated 15 June 2010 ...... make arrears payment to reach Barclaycard?? before 2 July 2010. Exactly the same postage as the envelope shown in the example as well.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/196312-invalid-default-notices-50.html post 2973

I see means2anend mentions some interesting points re the DN in post 2977.

Hence my plan of waiting for termination and then accepting UR.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Doing some very quick calculations and going on assumptions here, although the DN is dated the 15th, it will almost have certainly been 2nd class post (TNT walksort) so 3-4 days for delivery, time in which to rectify the account 2nd July, giving in the region of 10 days in which to rectify??

Any chance you know exactly when you received the DN?

And does it ask for the arrears to rectify the account, or the full balance?

Any chance you could scan and post up the DN as it sound faulty, and unenforceable, if they terminate the account on a faulty DN all you are 'legally' obliged to pay them is the arrears.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

DN received 18/06/10 ........ Their envelope has 1 Royal Mail on it which will be taken as Royal Mail First Class post.

Asks only for arrears.

But it is from Mercers and not Barclaycard!

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

'But it is from Mercers and not Barclaycard!' that sums it up nicely;)

DN received 18/06/10 ........ Their envelope has 1 Royal Mail on it which will be taken as Royal Mail First Class post.

Asks only for arrears.

But it is from Mercers and not Barclaycard!

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Guest Cartaphilus
I understand your dilemma but until you give me your year of birth I can not discus the account and our conversation will only benefit you in the long run .....
What's scary is the person saying that actually believes it ... :D

Translation 'Your dilemna is not any of my concern, you will answer my questions or else! (imagines them flicking hair back to emphasise the point) ... I am not here to listen, I don't care if you can pay ... Nothing will benefit you from this conversation except ... You will pay or else! Planet Sadlycard wants you to understand that you will pay us!'

Wonder what they do when they get home? Imagines some kind of Pleasantville like social life. Hmmm. ;):razz:

In fact, on two occassions one morning a long while ago I had one of Planet Sadlycard screaming down the phone line at me saying 'We are going to sue you'. Shame Sadlycard were fined several months later for making a high volume of calls to people. Not. ;)

Edited by Cartaphilus

Mercers IS Sharklaycard, just their in house collection team.

Hello BB,

Yes I know ........ but for the purposes of a DN my original agreement was with Barclaycard not Mercers their in house collection team.

This point has been raised on the Invalid Default Notices thread.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Always good to know someone is there to help you.

I felt lonely Sunday evening (around 8pm!!) so I decided to answer the second Mercers (Barclaycard inhouse DCA) phone call of the day :D ...... they have been calling two / three times a day for over the last month but my Truecall deals with them (unless I answer if I feel like recording more of the DCA chat for future use!!!) .....

Here are some highlights from the call ....

Mercers ....... year of birth please Chalkitup

Chalkitup ........ your full name please Ms Mercers lady

Mercers ...... my name is xxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Chalkitup ...... can you spell that please

Mercers ....... x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Now .... Chalkitup asking for her name must have confused the poor Mercers lady regarding Data Protection security questions because she never asked me another security question again ....... so for nine minutes she chatted away about my account and the only "data protection security question" answered was by Ms Mercers lady giving Chalkitup her name (or at least a name!!!!!). I could have been anyone!!

Chalkitup (continues) ...... but I have written saying no tel calls

Mercers ..... I am only phoning to help you ...... she kept saying over and over

Chalkitup ..... but you already know that I was paying Barclaycard via the DMP with the charity CCCS but they stopped my DMP because I do not have enough money left over each month to afford even a £1 to each creditor and I am on benefits and I rent where I live ...

And the help given to me by this kind Mercers lady after I have told her of my problems .........

Mercers ....... you are now £x,xxx in arrears since Feb and owe £xx,xxx ...... How much can you pay each month

Chalkitup ...... (I repeated my last sentence to her thinking she probably misheard (benefit of doubt!!!))

Mercers ...... (more kind help) ..... can you give me your mobile tel number but I will hold off all calls from Mercers for two weeks but Barclaycard have every right to call you at home because you owe them money. ALSO because you have stopped your DMP we will now start applying interest monthly, which is currently £280.00 a month, to the account and she then added that if the debt escalates any further :confused: (but it will if you add interest) they will sell the debt on to a DCA!!!

Telephone call recorded and stored

So glad she was there to HELP ME :| .... what would I have done without her help?

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Well Mercers are helping me even more ....... following the recent telephone call......:rolleyes:

Today I receiced a letter from them saying "Immediate Action Needed - Account still overdue so we are passing it to a local debt collector who may call at your home to obtain full repayment.

Can I now consider that they have terminated the account as they wrote "to obtain full repayment" or would I be on thin ice there?

And I have already sent them the no callers letter about two months ago!!!

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

I am of the opinion that as soon as they ask for the full amount to be paid, this can be seen as them terminating the agreement, however, wait until the do pass it onto another moron and they undoubtedley will tell you to pay the full amount within 2 hours, this will definitely be a termination of the agreement.

Thank you BB .... I will await one more letter from whoever seeking the full amount before I proceed.

Talk about making things complicated ....... How many different names are Barclays planning to use to contact me to demand payment??? ......... After all this Mercers activity asking for payment ..... today I have received a statement from Barclaycard and they are saying I must pay them £400+ immediately and 400+ by ??/08/10.

And of course they have added another £280+ interest and £12 late payment fee???

Do they not listen to us at all ....... CCCS told them I can not afford £1 a month to them ..... so they immediately start adding £300 a month to my balance.

Absolutely ludicrous.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

I wouldn't worry, this is exactly what got them into the mess in the first place..I nearly said it's only their money, but remembered it's not, it's bloody ours!:eek:

You should tell them to wind their necks in, how many more times do they think the public is going to bail them out:mad:

have you actually disputed the account in any way shape or form Chalkitup?

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.

have you actually disputed the account in any way shape or form Chalkitup?

Hello,

Not yet sent dispute letter ..... awaiting termination letter or another demand for full payment from them and I will then accept UR.

Then I plan to send dispute letter and reply to the letter I received from Barclaycard in response to my CCA request which had enclosed a blank application form and Conditions of use (neither have any date reference on).

Talking of which ...... can anyone please help here ...... Barclaycard letter had two paragraphs in it which I am struggling to understand ......... the first is .. (I never mentioned CPR at all in my CCA request???)....

"With reference to the Civil Procedurelink3.gif Rules. We have provided you with sufficient information to allow you to understand our position. The CPR does not confer an automatic entitlement to documents before proceedings start. CPR31.16 provides that a party may apply to the court for pre-action disclosure in certain limited circumstances, which do not apply here. The application must be supported by evidence and the usual order is for the applicant to pay the costs of the application, including the respondent's costs, together with the respondent's costs of complying with any order that is made as a result (CPR48.1(2))."

The second paragraph I am having difficulty understanding is:-

"While there is no formal obligation on our part to provide documentation in answer to Validation of Debt correspondence, we have undertaken steps to provide you with the contractual terms under which your financial obligations arise and a statement of account"

Are they misleading me in the first paragraph and surely in the second paragraph in response to a CCA request they are meant to send T&Cs and a statement of account anyway.

Thanks

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

I don't understand why you haven't already sent the dispute letter. With the account in dispute you can tell Mercers to fox trot oscar. You have a good enough reason to dispute it, why delay?

The 1st paragrpah refers to a Part 18 request under the Civil Procedure Rules. Defendants can write to the Claimant asking for evidence being relied on in court proceedings (telephone transcripts etc). (lol, I think you're quite good at keeping those already aren't you?) ;-)

Check your orioginal letter to them just to check to see if you didn't include a Part 18 rerquest accidentally at the same time as a CCA reuest. It makes no odds anyway? If it goes to court you can ask for that info then. Sounds like Barcrap have accidentally pasted in a standard paragraph on Part 18 requests. So go back to them and make them explain themselves.

The other para refers to the OFT's 2003 Guidelines I think. You are entitled to a copy of the agreement (including a reconstructed copy) and my understanding is that ToB had to be included or referred to in that? I would read up on the OFT's guidance notes (existing 2003 and draft 2010) and go back to them quoting hook line and sinker what they ARE obliged to provide you. At the same time dispute your account and get Merciless off your back.

Advice and comments posted by The Debt Star reflect only my personal opinion and it is up to you alone to decide what action you should take. You should always seek independent legal advice from your own qualified legal advisor.