I've done a really stupid thing...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I hope I can get some help!

I had debts from years and years ago and they finally caught up with me.

Yes, I was stupid and young to think that they wouldn't, and now they have.

Lowell Financial Group contacted me about them, threatening legal action, they phoned me all day and all night for weeks, with letter after letter. So last September I finally stopped hiding and called them, they sorted out with me a payment plan, which I have been barely able to afford

but I wanted to be harrassment free!

I paid the debt for about 8 months, then my partner lost his job in February and I had to use all my money to keep our flat going. I haven't been able to pay them since, so I am being harrassed again on a daily basis.

The real kicker is that I checked my Credit report and the above mentioned debts would have been statute barred in November 2009 (which is why I think the constant harrassment got so bad) .... but because I acknowledged the debt without knowing about the 6 years (I read it all on this website today) that doesn't count anymore.

I am in a really difficult situation and I just don't know what to do, One debt is for roughly £250 and the other for roughly £2,000.

Is there anyway I can stop them harrassing me and make them accept a much much smaller monthly payments - e.g. £5

Any help would be greatly appreciated

With thanks,

Leanne

Edited by welcometothejungle

Guest Cartaphilus

You need to specify exactly what these debts are ie loans/overdrafts/credit cards? Then it's easier to provide help.

So last September I finally stopped hiding and called them, they sorted out with me a payment plan, which I have been barely able to afford

but I wanted to be harrassment free!

Don't bother calling them again, it's a total and utter waste of time and cost of the call. Keep everything in writing - and I imagine their idea of a 'payment plan' was more than you could afford (and I'd surmise you had no written confirmation of it, either from them for your own records for later usage) and what they said you had to pay? Yes/no?

Guest Cartaphilus
I had debts from years and years ago and they finally caught up with me.

Yes, I was stupid and young to think that they wouldn't, and now they have.

Like I said, you need to be more specific with information eg what years were these taken out in order for the right kind of help to be provide. And that it also is appropriate to your situation.

How old are these debts?

Has there been a period of 6 years (5 in lucky Scotland:rolleyes:) where you didn't make any payment toward them?

Lowlifes are one of the lowest DCA's there is, and easily confused.

As said, DO NOT talk to them over the phone EVER! Keep everything in writing and don't sign any letters you send to them.

If they ring you just hang up tell them to foxtrot oscar or tell them 'everything in writing' then hang up.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

fire off some cca requests

you should also stop the payments too.

you paid under duress without knowing your rights at the time.

when was the last financial payment you made on these debts?

by what start date are you starting your 6yrs from?

they might well be over 6 yrs anyhow as the process takes a few months to kick-in

if they are over 6yrs from your last payment then they were and ARE remain statute barred and NOTHING can unbar them.

not even you then paying or a letter nor a judge.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The real kicker is that I checked my Credit report and the above mentioned debts would have been statute barred in November 2009 (which is why I think the constant harrassment got so bad) .... but because I acknowledged the debt without knowing about the 6 years (I read it all on this website today) that doesn't count anymore.

When you say you 'acknowledged' it, was this over the phone, in writing or via a payment last year?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Guest Cartaphilus
Is there anyway I can stop them harrassing me and make them accept a much much smaller monthly payments - e.g. £5

You can pay them as little as a £1 and only what fits into your financial budget eg not what 'seems right' to pay them but what you can afford.

However, for now if you give more details on what these debts are, years and so on I am sure there will be something that can be done and potentially very easily dealt with.

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the responses.

The debts are from the year 2003 - that is the date the credit agreement was taken out... not from when they defaulted (which I believe was a year later).

The smaller debt is for 3G mobile. £250

The larger debt is an overdraft with Barclays Bank. £2000.00

I 'acknowledged' the debt over the phone by saying I had recieved their letters and wished to begin a payment plan. I did this in September 2009.

I began paying them the same month.

Before the recent payments, I had not paid anything towards them since 2004.

I am not sure exactly when the 3G debt's 6 years would have been up. But the Barclays Bank credit agreement was signed in November 2003 - I remember it well. (so when I acknowledged the debt, it wasn't quite 6 years.)

They did send me a letter outlining what I had agreed to pay.

Shall I write to them and demand that all correspondance be in writing and state what I am willing to pay? Can I also state that I am not willing to negotiate on that figure? Can I also say that I will contact THEM every month to make the payment and not give away my bank details etc? I am worried that they will take money without asking!

I don't want to 'worm my way' out of paying. I owe the money so I should pay it. But, I also want to be treated with some humanity!

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Hi wttj

Sorry but do not expect any compassion or humanity from these animals. It is not even written in their genes. Outright greed and avarice --- yes anything else ---no.

However if you get a mindset of treating all bankers et al and associated pirates, brigands and rovers as amoral ruthless criminals then you have some chance of success. Under no circumstance reveal any weakness at all and definitely not any health problem, they WILL exploit this to the fullest extent and remember it is a matter of record from the coroners courts that they have driven deliberately people to their deaths.

BUT you can win if you resolve yourself to do so and this site is the best place to be.

regards

oilyrag.:)

You will be in a stronger position to negotiate if you know whether or not these debts are legally enforceable. I don't have these creditors so can't advise here.

It might be worth spending a few hours searching the forum for other threads relating to these creditors. (For example, if you had a Capital One card from the late 90s or early 2000s these aren't enforceable and you would find that out quite easily.)

Have you been charged unfair penalty charges? That is something else to consider.

You'll get more help if you have two separate threads so maybe the site team could start two new ones for you and merge the first postings from this one on to both of them. You should put 'Barclays overdraft' and '3G mobile' in the thread titles.

The reason for this is that the thread titles will alert more people to your threads who are battling the same creditors.

That's just something you might want to consider. If you want to do that just hit the red triangle on the left and send a message to the site team.

You can write to Lowells asking for a copy of your original alleged credit agreements too. You have to enclose £1 for each - and send a PO not a cheque so they can't lift your signature.

DD

Hi welcome to CAG

Never speak to them on the phone. THere is a letter in th resources library to advise them of this. The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors Also send a CCA request for each accont with a £1 postal order for each one. Send recorded delivery and do not sign yor name.

Debts do not become statute barred until 6 years after the last paymnt.