• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome Credit Agreement - Manipulated?!?

drob
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have to admit, that this type of agreement is not within my knowledge. I dont understand what you are meaning by "cobbled" together.

By Cobbled together i am refering to Welcome copying and pasting bits together.

Were your name and address on the document. I am not sure what the consequences of there not being an agreement number on the paperwork means unless other details are radically incorrect as well.

Yes my name and address was on the document. I removed all my personal details for the purpose of my thread, although no agreement number was on the document.

Are you saying that the terms and conditions were not or could not be part of the original document. Did you ever receive a copy of the original document by which you can confirm without proof that they are two unconnected pages ?

I did not receive any terms and conditions as I never signed an ammended agreement with the Insurances removed.

What does concern me is that, if radical changes are made to an agreement as in this case the removal of the insurance. Then I would have thought a new agreement would have been drawn up, as I already said. It changes the whole agreement and you would need protection should as has happened.. litigation happened.

Plus of course you are claiming that the signature isnt yours. You would need to hire an expert witness to back up your claim if this were to end up in court.

It is my signature on a document that I never signed. Welcome could have copied or pasted my signature from another document.

The qoute below was taken from your first post. You say the agreement was started in November 2008.. then later on that you sent a CCA request in April 2008 ? do you mean April 2009 ?

Sorry, yes i meant April 2009

The only thing I can suggest you do is write to Welcome ,advising that you have serious doubts about the authenticity of the paperwork they have provided you with and until such times as they provide you with an accurate copy of the original then you consider the account to be in dispute.

I will write to them and quote the above.

If at such times legal action is commenced, then you will be entitled under CPR31.15 to ask to inspect the original document. I would think as this account is so new, then they would have the original document on file.

HTH

Thank you for your advice .....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*Update*

I wrote to welcome and in the letter I told them the following..........

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms. I must inform you that I have serious doubts about the authenticity of the paperwork you have provided me with and until such times you provide me with an accurate copy of the original true copy of the executed agreement then you can consider the account to be in dispute.

I received a reply today from Welcome......... all they have done is send me the same agreement and the same terms & conditions. In the letter they quote the following

"I have again enclosed a copy of your legal agreement and terms of the credit agreement for your reference. Please note we do not hold 'originals' as a scanned copy of your agreement is enforceable"

1. For the agreement to be an executed agreement, does the agreement need to be signed by Welcome?

2. Why did they not respond to my allegation that i have doubts about it's authenticity?

1. For the agreement to be an executed agreement, does the agreement need to be signed by Welcome?

Yes. s.189(1) CCA1974.

2. Why did they not respond to my allegation that i have doubts about it's authenticity?

Because if they admit that it's game over for them, so they have to ignore it and hope you will continue to pay them.

• Haha 1

Thank you IainHL ......

What do you think my next move should be, condidering that the agreement has not been exexuted properly and that Welcome do not hold originals?

If this were ever to proceed to litigation then you will be able to ask to see /inspect the original under CPR31.15.

Whilst recent test cases have said a creditor can reconstruct to satisfy s78 requests , they are still obliged to provide the original for court. Or at least be able to prove they reconstructed from the original.

TBH, I am not fully convinced that continuing to request a document which they evidently are not going to provide to you is worth the stress.

However, at the same time, I am not sure what would be your best options to move forward.

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The agreement that Welcome have sent twice has been reconstructed, however Welcome believe that this document is a legal and enforeable agreement.

If this did proceed to litigation then Welcome will not be able to provide the original document because they have already admitted to me in writing that they do not hold 'originals' as a scanned copy of the agreement is enforceable so they will not be able to prove that the scanned document is reconstructed from the original.

I am thinking of writing back To Welcome and point out that......

1. I still have serious doubts about the authenticity of the document.

2. The document has not been properly executed as per s.189(1) CCA1974

3. If they decided to proceed with litigation they would have to the original for court. Or at least be able to prove they reconstructed from the original and that they have already admitted that they do not keep originals.

4. Ask for all charges to be removed from the outstanding balance

5. Offer a realistic repayment plan to repay the outstanding balance

Has anyone any thoughts on my reply to Welcome or and advicewhat else to put in my letter??

hi drob

long time no see

to commence litigation, welcome would need the original to enforce in court,

not a micky mouse reconstructed one, the reconstructed agreement must be taken trom the original

• Haha 1

Hi postggj

So do you think that writing to Welcome with what i have posted in #31 above is wise or do you have any suggestions what to write?

let me do a rough draft of a letter to send welcome

its quite rare for welcome to issue court action, its normally the other way round

just remind me

when did welcome default the account and i take it thats the usual pay within 14 days on the default notice and not a numerical date

let me do a rough draft of a letter to send welcome

its quite rare for welcome to issue court action, its normally the other way round

just remind me

when did welcome default the account and i take it thats the usual pay within 14 days on the default notice and not a numerical date

Date of Notice 17/06/2010 (sent by normal post and not recorded) and yes they gave 14 days notice to pay the arrears.

well they are stuffed anyway but keep the dn under your hat

check back tonight and ill do a rough letter for you to play with

we just need a termination notice now for end game

Thank You postggj, will check back tonight

well they are stuffed anyway but keep the dn under your hat

check back tonight and ill do a rough letter for you to play with

we just need a termination notice now for end game

Hi postggj

Any luck in the draught letter?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

I received a telephone call from Welcome last week who could not understand what my compliant was all about. I explained that in my opinion the agreement that you have sent has been copied and pasted together as I do not recall ever signing a secong agreement. He replied " We do not keep original copies of agreements, we scan the agreements and then throw them away" He then said "So you will not be making any payment today then" I replied NO.

On 13th August I received another default notice and letter.... copies attached .... I just don't know what to do next, can anyone help???

wwl1.PDF

wwl2.PDF

They still haven't learned. The new default notice is as valid as the previous one (in other words it isn't compliant).

I take it from the lack of black pen at the bottom of the covering letter attached above that there was no named person for you to contact? Typical ineptitude.

The comment about them not keeping originals but scanning them and throwing them away is irrelevant. If they had scanned it there would be no need to send you a cut and paste job.

I suggest right for the moment you do nothing. When did you last pay them anything?

I will try and take a read through your thread sometime this week and see if I can suggest a form of words you could throw at them, should you wish.

Regardless of the fact there is a covering letter, I am pretty certain the DN should have the name and address of the Company on it. The DN should also be addressed to you personally. That is nothing more than a template document.

It also fails the "date" test. It should have a specific date which allows for time in the post. Yours doesnt. It says "within 14 days".. ooops !! :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thing is until they actually demand the whole of the outstanding amount or specifically write to say the agreement is terminated and demand the whole amount.. they can issue as many DNs they like until they "get it right" so are you wise to keep reminding them they have screwed it up ?

BCOBS

Regardless of the fact there is a covering letter, I am pretty certain the DN should have the name and address of the Company on it. The DN should also be addressed to you personally. That is nothing more than a template document.

It also fails the "date" test. It should have a specific date which allows for time in the post. Yours doesnt. It says "within 14 days".. ooops !! :)

Hi citizenB, thank you for your response....

• The DN does state the name and address of the company.
  • The DN does state "within 14 days from the date of this notice" or does it have to actualy state the exact date???
  • The alleged ammended agreement in my view has not been executed because Welcome have not signed the agreement, is this correct?

sorry drob, I meant it had to be on their headed paper :) Yes, it should state a date that allows for at least 2 working days - 1st class or 4 working days - 2nd class or UK Mail.

So if I was sending you a DN dated 1st September (tomorrow) then the remedy date would need to be shown as 17th September 2010 if it were posted 1st class and I think 21st if it were posted 2nd class mail (as 2 of the posting days would be a weekend).

Hmmm, signing of agreements. If it were signed tomorrow then it would be executed and I rather suspect a judge would allow that. Now if YOU hadnt signed it.. that would be a different matter.. sorry...

BCOBS

Update

I received a letter from Lewis Debt Recovery this morning demanding the outstanding balavce of £1034.46. So good old Welcome have passed an account in serious dispute to a Debt Collection Agency.

So in summary....

1. In my opinion Welcome have supplied me with a Credit Agreement that has been, in my opinion manipulated.

2. Welcome have admitted that they do not have an original copy of my agreement as they do not keep the original document.

3. Welcome will be unable to prove that the agreement thay have sent to me has been reconstructed from the original

4. Default Notice has not been executed properly

5. Account has been passed to a Debt Collection Agency whilst in dispute

Any comments or suggestions on what to do next will be most grateful!