Default damages [PCWorld wrong laptop sold & HFC Finance]- Supreme Court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the court allows it, we'll tidy up the pleadings.

The facts and evidence remain as always. This should have more weight than the pleadings.

It is to be hoped, unfortunately the courts tend to look for a technical argument to back up their judgments. There is no doubt that there is a major injustice here and you would hope that the court would see it and make the appropriate decision, unfortunately as we learned in the bank charge issue they often don't, they go with the technicality.

It cannot be right of course that you are made accountable for goods you have not received, and i am sure that eventually this loophole will be sealed, the question as i see it is , is there scope within the CCA or was it a situation where the act has no power, and amendments or new law is required.

DB

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Dont get me wrong i 100% agree that there has been an injustice here. MY concern is that people are being encouraged to invest and i have not seen any mention of the fact that the Supreme court may find against Mr Durkin.

There seems to have been little or no discussion about the legal merits of this on here and from what i see very little ensewhere.

I think that their several points that need to be addressed, not least the appeal courts assesment of the function of section 75 , which if i read it right will have to be overturned if the case for reparation is to succeed.

I think if people are going to invest , they should be aware of the facts, personally i will be investing but only what I can afford to lose, because I think it a cause worth fighting, but i am a realist.

I would start a new thread about this , but from previous experience i find that sometimes people interpret rugged analysis of an argument as criticism and i suspect i would be drawn to the job of playing devils advocate in order to get some constructive debate. This is the section that makes me wary.

[63] The Sheriff held the appellant validly rescinded his contract of sale with the first respondents on 29 December 1998 and his finding to that effect was not challenged before this court. However, for the reasons we have given, it was not open to the appellant to rescind the credit agreement, by invoking the provisions of section 75(1) of the 1974 Act. No other basis for rescinding the credit agreement has been advanced on behalf of the appellant. It follows, therefore, that throughout the period of time the entries posted by the second respondents remained on the registers of the credit reference agencies they were factually accurate, apart from the arithmetical error of referring to £1499 when it should have been £1449.

[64] The Sheriff dealt with the delictual issues which arose in this case in paras 93 - 121 of his judgment. Standing the conclusion we have reached on the rescission issues that also arose, it is unnecessary for us to deal with them in detail. Indeed it was recognised on behalf of the appellant that if we found against the appellant on the issue of whether he had been entitled to rescind his credit agreement by relying on the provisions of section 75(1), it would not open to him to successfully defend the award of damages that the sheriff had made in favour of the appellant.

[65] That concession was very properly made. The provisions of the 1974 Act admit the possibility of a creditor such as the second respondents supplying information relating to a debtor, such as the appellant, to a credit reference agency licensed under the Act. The credit agreement between the appellant and the second respondents in the present case explicitly provided that the appellant agreed that the second respondents could supply information relating to the credit agreement and to his conduct of the loan he received in terms of that agreement to credit reference agencies. The provisions of section 159 of the 1974 Act enabled the appellant to give notice of correction to credit reference agencies, which he did. In such circumstances, standing the appellant's conscious decision not to make any payments under the credit agreement to the second respondents and the conclusion we have reached on the issue of whether the appellant was entitled to rescind his credit agreement with the second respondents, by relying on the provisions of section 75(1), we consider that the second respondents were entitled to treat the appellant as being in default of the credit agreement. In these circumstances it follows that the Sheriff was not entitled to hold that the second respondents had made false representations relating to the appellant; that the second respondents had breached a duty of care they owed to him; and that the appellant was entitled to the award of damages he made.

Any thoughts anybody.

D

Edited by Dodgeball

Hi DB,

Sorry not to be able to elaborate too much on this before it goes to the court.

Bottom line is that the bank cannot win if the appeal is accepted. The contract was processed fraudulently.

The bank has successfully argued that we shouldn't be entitled to legal aid and will also try to prevent the appeal through various points of procedure. It's full of malice that the government is fast becoming obliged to address.

It's understood that the court too is wise to these tactics and will assist in the pursuit of justice.

I imagine only the Supreme court will have the answers to these specific paragraphs that should never have been written.

Facts and evidence haven't been considered. Scotland's highest court has shockingly failed to deliver justice in very suspicious circumstances.

Richard.

i had used the precedent created in the awarding of costs issue. Which i may say has been a great help to many.

Did you get any feedback about this Durkin case from any English judges?

The two cases i was directly involved with were both settled out of court. It seems accepted that damages arising from a wrongly placed marker is well established thanks to your good self.

I have to say the amounts involved were considerably less than are at stake here.

There are a couple of cases on the go at the moment in the place that dare not speak its name on here, but you are probably aware of them.

DB

• 2 months later...

Not sure how to follow a thread without posting.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

• 5 months later...

Hearing listed for January 28th - 2014!

Another year then living hand to mouth and another winter to endure.

Oh well. Let's hope justice improvements will result and the right people are suitably punished.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Ever get the feeling theyre just trying to grind you down :sad:

They've maliciously and successfully been grinding us down since 1998. Those responsible will need to be ground down themselves.

Perhaps this is a good time to build a new prison, ready for the influx.

Cheers,

Richard.

• 9 months later...

Happy New Year Folks,

Written case attached for Jan 28th.

HFC being earmarked as criminals to boot.

Let's hope a few of them, including those that have tried to resign themselves out of trouble, will finally be jailed.

Cheers,

Richard.

[ATTACH]48393[/ATTACH]

This is excellent news :)

Will we see any criminial proceedings come out of this ?

What will you get out of this ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CB,

Criminal proceedings will depend on the Procurator Fiscal, following the ruling. It needs to happen if the criminal bankers are ever to be stopped.

Hopefully, we'll finally be awarded true reparation that will allow us to set up a family home and plan foir the future.

Happy 2014.

Richard.

It has been a long hard road for you Richard and I sincerely hope this turns out well for you , if anyone deserved it you do IMHO.

I notice mention of the pre-contractual issues in the defense(section 56) was this a result of the judges earlier remarks? personally I think that this is a strong argument.

It has been a long hard road for you Richard and I sincerely hope this turns out well for you , if anyone deserved it you do IMHO.

I notice mention of the pre-contractual issues in the defense(section 56) was this a result of the judges earlier remarks? personally I think that this is a strong argument.

Thanks DB.

Andrew simply read the facts and applied his knowledge.

I have mentioned fraud from the outset and it has actually been mentioned in both lower courts as well as being written into the condescendence. (Just not written as an official legal argument, apparently). Well, this time, it's written.

The Edinburgh judges could have found a way to rule in my favour, as the sheriff did. They chose not to. Outrageous. I wonder if they'll be investigated.

Happy 2014.

Richard

Good luck Richard. I hope this will be the end of this so that you can move forward.

Thanks for keeping us updated too. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Got everything crossed for you Richard. It does make it hard to walk though. :-)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Here's the latest drivel from the criminals. Crying because they'll be prejudiced and already trying to blame it all on an employee rather than take responsibility from the top.

Edited by Durkin
Punctuation