BankFodder BankFodder

twofoot

How can I get a CRA check from abroad?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3502 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Here's the problem. Ten years ago I lived in UK with Natwestlink3.gif bank a/c. On leaving UK went to close a/c and cancel all DD & SO. Bank said fine but better to leave a/c dormant. Signed papers and left UK. 5 years later they tell me I'm overdrawn on same a/c. On checking I find they been paying a DD for years after cancelled so I lodge complaint which they deny. They say pay up or we will inform CRAlink3.gif. I say fine do what you like as I live abroad and CRA means nowt to me. Not heard anything since,(about a year). I will be returning to uk in a year or two and don't want a bad CRA file but to check it I need a UK address, is there anyway I can get the CRA file without a UK address. I don't have a UK address I can use. From what I can see there must be a UK address within the last 6 yearslink3.gif in order for them to start a file. Also I don't think any of the CRA's will send a file abroad. I believe Natwest use Equifax for credit referencing.

I will be returning to uk in a year or two and don't want a bad CRA file but to check it I need a UK address, is there anyway I can get the CRA file without a UK address. I don't have a UK address I can use. From what I can see there must be a UK address within the last 6 yearslink3.gif in order for them to start a file. Also I don't think any of the CRA's will send a file abroad. I believe Natwest use Equifax for credit referencing.

You need a current UK address, one that can be verified as your home address either with electoral roll or by credit card, bank details, utilities...

It's not so much the address, they have to be 100% sure of your identity too or else they would be forever sending peoples details to Amsterdam, Nigeria etc, etc,

If you have an EU identity card or UK passport they might accept that as proof but you'd probably have to go to the Consulate to get it verified and it costs a pretty penny depending on where you are.

No harm in getting in touch and asking them how to go about it, but i suspect they will only send it within the UK to someone who can be 100% verified.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Just a thought. Would there be a CRA file for some someone without a UK address.

Just a thought. Would there be a CRA file for some someone without a UK address.

Seems unlikely, but if you were previously UK resident there is such a thing as GAIN, (gone away information network), which keeps records of your last known whereabouts and I think that includes overseas too.

DCA's pay a subscription to use the service in an attempt to find people who have 'disappeared' - but all too often it's a bit pointless unless it's a sizeable debt, the person still has property in the UK, and/or a CCJ is still in force.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Only in the country where you reside, if these particular companies have extended their tentacles.

CRA's are everywhere, under different names. Equifax have gone global.

If you are overdrawn it will be failed DD charges added to the account. this is why they wanted it dormant. I would be starting the DPASAR procedure on Natwest NOW..just to see what is on the account and how the OD has occurred.

The Od occurred because they paid the DD for several years and then realised I wasn't using the a/c. They admitted the a/c was dormant but still existed. Their excuse was I should have cancelled the DD with payee not just NW. I did cancel it with both parties but they say they want proof which I don't have. They said they'd take legal action but when I advised them they'd need a uk address to get a ccj they went quiet. I just think they are a law to themselves. My own view is there won't be a CRA file on me but once I return to the uk in a couple of years they'll start one up.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

I cancelled with the bank only and had it annotated on my file I would hold them responsible if the DD appeared again. I never contacted the company concerned and cancelled the DD with them...this is with Natwest also.

of course they would say they wanted proof of this to cover their behinds. It took 18 months for Natwst to alter the bank account after the late Mr Hobbit passed away. they had three copies of his Death Certificate, so I would say the records are not fit for purpose. Oh I still get new Debit Cards for Mr Hobbit, so I have now taken to posting them to his burial site at sea...bet that causes problems for the Post Office...I have rung, written and been in to branch, so I wouldn't count on them trying to pull the proof of cancelling with the original creditor.

Write to their CEO at the registered office I bet they get cracking on this...

but once I return to the uk in a couple of years they'll start one up.
Any defaults have to be registered within six months of the a/c becoming delinquent, if they try playing silly beggars complain to the ico.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

That's nice to know Cerberusalert. Looks like They have missed the boat on this.