Where do we stand???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya i'm new to this site hoping you guys can give me some help!

My boyfriend bought a used car nearly two weeks ago, part-exchanging his old one and on the way home we noticed that the air con didn't work and was chucking out hot air! We rang the guy the next day (Saturday)and he said he would send a cheque for £75 to cover the cost of the repair. My boyfriend then took the car to get the air con fixed and while it was at the garage he was told that the two front tyres were bald on the inside and actually illegal. He rang the seller to check where the money was for the air con and to also tell him about the tyres, the seller then listed loads of things that were apparently wrong with my boyfriends car (that he had part-x). My boyfriend asked if he could send proof of this and then maybe they could negotiate some kind of deal. We got the tyres fixed and rang the seller today to check where the paperwork was and he told us that my boyfriends car had only fetched £400 at auction (he gave us £900 for it part-x) and so he would not be giving us anything towards the cost of the air con or tyres. I know it was silly of us not to check the air con before we bought it but my boyfriend asked about the tyres and was told that they were absolutely fine so where do we stand? Surely what the seller got for our old car is irrelevant or is that not the case?? Sorry to ramble on!! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks x

I presume this was bought from a trader if he accepted a part-ex? On that basis you are protected under SOGA for the car you bought from him. He, unfortunately (well for him) is not protected for the car he bought from you.

There are some CAG experts on here who are good with issues that arise when buying cars from dealers so await some further input.

Get a printed copy of that ad before he takes it down or changes it. You may need that as part of your evidence later. Make sure any further communication with him is in writing, including writing down the details of any telephone conversation you have already had with him while they are fresh in your memory.

Yep - get a screenshot as well.

Get a friend to ring and enquire about your old car, see how he describes it to him/her. No one will know it like you so you will have something to compare with.

Can you pm me the website url so I can check it out please?

I edited my post, in case you didn't see it, can you pm me the website address please - there are a lot of legal things he has to do to compy with regulations, I want to see if he has complied.

The condition of the car you part exchanged is unlikely to affect the deal regarding your car. However as you have already changed the tyres you will struggle to get anything from him for them (he can just deny they where worn or illegal) the aircon should be recharged/repaired by him provided he stated the car was fitted with it and does not disclaim its working nature ( i do as a matter of course because they are very tempremental and can be costly to repair) on the sales invoice etc.

A quick independant inspection and test of the aircon may be useful but may cost a little money.