HPI checks dont always work. be WARNED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car privately a couple of months ago. Was originally listed on ebay. But we went to view the car and decided to buy. He took it off ebay so no1 could buy in the meantime, we left a small deposit, he said he had got the car from a lady who had bought his car off him and he had taken money and the car off her in part ex. But didnt really need the car so decided to sell, he had the hpi check from hpicheck.com which said the car was ok on all counts. But i had my own done from experian, which was all ok again. the biggest in the country may i add. We Handed over cash a few days later and got signed receipt from the seller. Then a few days ago we received a letter from a solicitors stating the 1st owner owed finance on the car, she had bought from new 5 yrs ago. £6175 STILL owing. They said if we did not pay the amount the car would be repossesed in 14 days. Devastated was an understatement. So we rang the solicitors, they said send receipts from the seller and the hpi checks, so we faxed them same day. We also send him a copy of the listing on ebay to prove where we seen the car. We of course rang hpicheck.com and experian both were as blown away as we were. And it is being investigated now.

The person owing the money appears to have done a runner to spain, they only had her maiden name and her address from when she bought the car. I had receipts in with all documents which had her new uk address on and her spanish address. So i passed them on to the solicitors, who have since passed to the lender (HSBC) Received a phone call today from solicitors to say that the car is ours and have sent a letter to say this. :D And the lender is now pursuing in another way, PHEW

This still doesnt answer the question why oh why didnt the debt appear on the 2 hpi checks. Not very reassuring is it. Neither company still cant answer this.

This is the 1st time ive bought a car privately and the very LAST time too. I could have lost almost 10k. My heart goes out to all the stories ive read on forums this week whilst ive been going through the same situation but thankfully turned out OK for me. :D

you are right they do not have to by law list cars on the hpi register. but if you have done one though a good company then they are insured against this and you either get your money back or they pay the dept for you. just think what would have happend if you never did a hpi check.

am glad it all ended good for you.

Published articles - No HPI registration? No problem - Wragge & Co - Law Firm

Well as the lender was HSBC you would automatically think that they would put them on the hpi register, and judging by the stories ive read on the forums this last week, they normally do. But if thats the case and they hadnt registered her debt on the hpi register at the time of purchase, they are the ones who are losing out in this case, as they are out of pocket by 6k now, If it had been on the register in the 1st place she wouldnt have been able to sell the car and then they could have repossesed off her. It should be made law that all lenders should register the debt. Otherwise this makes the HPI checks worthless.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy you bought the car in good faith as an innocent purchaser. Under the HP act 1964 it is now yours. Do not let them take it and if your are not comfortable ring a solicitor and get them involved.

Beleive me you have no need to pay them anything or give them the car back

see the following thread on here as well. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/vehicle-repossessions/265444-bought-car-hp-still.html#post3013103

further more do not give them the car then claim from HPI as you will be wasting your time.

Happy you bought the car in good faith as an innocent purchaser. Under the HP act 1964 it is now yours. Do not let them take it and if your are not comfortable ring a solicitor and get them involved.

Beleive me you have no need to pay them anything or give them the car back

see the following thread on here as well. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/vehicle-repossessions/265444-bought-car-hp-still.html#post3013103

further more do not give them the car then claim from HPI as you will be wasting your time.

you are only covered under the hpi act if a HPI check was done. so like the orig post he has 2 so he is covered but just think what could have happend if he never

We have now received letters back from the solicitors pursuing the debt and the finance company , saying we are innocent buyers and will pursue the people who owe the hp in a differant way. But still no replies from the hpi companies who are apparently investigating the reason why the hpi did not show. Still not very encouraging for people buying used cars privately is it. thanks for all your input.

yes i know that, when we done the hpi check my son who works in a landrover dealership done a experian hpi check, and i done my own on hpicheck.com. both still investigating lol :rolleyes: