• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Abbey - not looking good

Massamum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a mortgage with the abbey. Until recently it was being paid by a relative. That person sadly passed away in April and I haven’t been able to keep up the payments as I’m on benefits. Have been making very small token payments and partial help from DSS, but it isn't anywhere near even the interest. Abbey say my three months will be up in July and its likely that repossession proceedings will begin then. There is a huge amount of equity in the property so I doubt they'll hang about. I don’t know what to do, any help/guidance would be really appreciated folks. Thanks.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered the possibility of selling the house yourself, as opposed to them reposessing it ? If they did go through this process then a possible forced sale would not realise as much as selling it on the open market and you would avoid their legal fees too. They may well allow you to do this over a certain period....

Thanks for the response 42man. I have today put the house on the market and praying for a quick sale. Next payment is due soon and just hope I can secure a sale before they start any proceedings. The charges are stacking up in the meantime. It sickens me to think they could take all the equity for what is, in comparison, a small mortgage. You say they may allow me to do this over a certain period - how long would that be do you think?

Jusy my opinion, but I would keep in contact with Abbey, make them aware of what you are doing stating that you are attempting to find a solution as opposed to creating more problems....

deleted incorrect info

Edited by AnimalMagic
Imcorrect info - my mistake!

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

• 1 month later...

The house has been on the market but no luck unfortunately. I've had three viewings only when the house first went on the market but ever since then no interest whatsoever. As my agency contract has now expired I want to go with another agency. I've rung my current estate agents only to be told that I need to put it in writing to them and that they require two weeks notice!!! My question is, as I have never received a copy of the contract that I signed with them and wasn't aware that I had to give two weeks notice is there any kind of law that I can call them on to get out of the two weeks notice? They've been absolute rubbish and haven't done much at all for the last few weeks so highly unlikely that they will sell in the next two weeks. I just want rid of the house now as the Abbey are pestering me and due to my arrears it'll be passed on to solicitors very soon. Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

How much arrears is there?

Reason I ask is because in my experience with Abbey they only pass to litigation after being more than 1k in arrears thats what they told us that after 1k it goes automatically to litigation im sure it was they said,

I also found them very helpful to deal with in regards to paying arrears, advising them of selling the house etc so good luck! just be as truthful as possible.

You say that the mortgage payer has passed away is it there house and should that not be passed onto someone as part of thier estate being wound up? E.g left to you in their will or are you the owner of the house?

Was their a life insurance policy you could perhaps cash in to pay the arrears?

some of these options might not be appropriate but just thinking out loud

Hope that helps

Thanks very much for your response crm, unfortunately the arrears are well over the £1k mark now and I’m just waiting to hear from their solicitors. Abbey have been very helpful, I explained that the house is on the market but they say there isn’t anything they can do and as there is no way I can pay the arrears (I’m on benefits) it will go to their sols.

The house (and mortgage) was in joint names and passed straight to me (we were “joint tenants”) and I now own the property outright. There was no life assurance and no estate to speak of. The property market seems to have slowed right down and I’m resigned to the inevitable happening :(

Thats not so good information,

I would have thought the house being up for sale would have been a way out for a few months as sureley they should see that you selling is a lot easier than them having to do it,

You say you are on benefits could you not use that as an excuse to buy more time?

Sorry I cant offer a more professional or rock solid advice, just trying to think what i would do really,

HTH

Craig

Don't know if this helps (from the Mortgage pre action protocol):

6.2 If a borrower can demonstrate that reasonable steps have been or will be taken to market the property at an appropriate price in accordance with reasonable professional advice, the lender should consider postponing starting a possession claim. The borrower must continue to take all reasonable steps actively to market the property where the lender has agreed to postpone starting a possession claim.

Where the lender has agreed to postpone starting a possession claim the borrower should provide the lender with a copy of the particulars of sale, the Home Information Pack and (where relevant) details of purchase offers received within a reasonable period of time specified by the lender. The borrower should give the lender details of the estate agent and the conveyancer instructed to deal with the sale. The borrower should also authorise the estate agent and the conveyancer to communicate with the lender about the progress of the sale and the borrower’s conduct during the process.

6.4 Where the lender decides not to postpone the start of a possession claim it should inform the borrower of the reasons for this decision at least 5 business days before starting proceedings.

Are there any arrears fees? If so, how much?

When was the mortgage taken out?

Who was the main borrower, you or your relative?

If it's not too personal, can you explain the circumstances of how you became joint mortgagee?

Regards

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Me vs Rockwell/Tessara/RBofS: pending.

Me vs MBNA/1st Crud: Discontinued.

First Direct Overdraft: CCJ won.

IR: 2 CCJs 1 won.

Birmingham Midshires: pending

BT: pending

others to come....

Thanks for your support Craig and Animal Magic, I really appreciate it. I have told Abbey that I’m on benefits and the DWP also pay a small amount towards the mortgage so they are well aware of it. The house my mum and me shared was fully paid for but I took out a mortgage to pay for home improvements as the house was basically falling down around our ears (hence DWP only paying small proportion of mortgage and not all interest). At the time I took the mortgage on I was working full-time and couldn’t have seen what the future was to hold. My mum developed vascular dementia and I had to give up work to look after her 24/7. It wasn’t easy as her particular type of dementia made her behaviour extremely challenging, she was giving all her money away, would insist on the central heating being on full blast as well as the fire and then leaving all the doors open etc, the bills were astronomical and I ran up a lot of debts trying to keep the roof over our heads and support us both via my overdraft. When the overdraft was up to the limit I would transfer onto 0% cards (thinking I would worry about it later when I returned to work). However, I became broken from all the stress and am unable to work at all now. While my mum was alive, and as her name was also on the mortgage (and therefore jointly responsible), the payments were taken from her account - control of her account was taken away from her due to diminished capacity. Now my mum has passed away I cannot make the payments on my own.

I was relying on selling the house myself so that I could make offers of F&F’s to all my other creditors to get them off my back but no interest at all. Now Lloyds are taking me to court for another debt. Doesn’t rain, it pours ….

I don't know which way to turn and am grieving so badly and the thought of repossession is just too much.

• 4 months later...

I've received a claim form for possession of my property. I've buried my head in the sand about this for over a week as I couldn't face up to it, I realise I have to acknowledge the claim now but I really have no idea of the best way to go about it and I don't want to fill it out in the wrong way and make things worse. There is a section on the form asking about my other debts - I have huge amount of debt but haven't acknowledged or paid anything to the creditors for a couple of years now. I don't know if its wrong to leave that part out or if I should put it in - help!!!

Any help would really be most appreciated please folks. Thanks in advance.

Background posts here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?263870-Abbey-not-looking-good&p=3090118&highlight=#post3090118

Hi there, what is the date of the possession hearing?

I assume you have received papers from your local court and the N11M defence form ? If the hearing is not until after the New Year then we have plenty of time to get a defence together.

Ell

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell

Thanks for your response and reassurance. The possession hearing is on 18 Jan, I received the paperwork on 18 December and I’m really starting to panic. I have also received the defence form. I’m a bit concerned about acknowledging the claim and wasn’t sure how to do that. I’ve been online but its just bamboozled me! There doesn’t seem to be a specific place to acknowledge the claim, I wasn’t sure if I would have to fill out the whole thing or if I could go back and do it now and again???

Thanks very much for taking the time out to respond to me so near Christmas.

Hi, Massamum.

The 'link' you posted seems to be a 'bad' one, I've merged your threads, please continue to post here with regards to this matter.

Ell-enn should be back shortly.

Thanks.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

OK, don't fill out anything on line - you need to fill the form in and hand it in to the court. We can do a statement to go with the N11M defence form, I'll get back to you after the weekend and we can work on the form.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there im sorry to read about your situation,you do however have some options open to you.

You can argue in your defence that the property is up for sale and ask the judge to suspend possession proceedings,pending sale of the property,you would have to take all your paperwork to court in support of your case,ie proof that the house is on the market,this option takes the decision out of your lenders hands as i suspect from your previous posts they do not seem sympathetic to your present situation.I notice that you spoke to your lender regarding this option but had no joy a judge would probobly be more agreable,however although your lender is oblidged to act within the protocol they do not have to agree to pospone possession proceedings until a sale has been arranged,as it says above they should inform you 5 days before the hearing as to why they have refused the offer,or option that you have put forward,if you can show that you are making a determined effort to sell the property i think you will be ok and it should get suspended.The one problem i can see is if the house does not sell quickly you could be racking up a huge amount in charges and arrears and if this carried on for a lenghy period a judge would probobly grant the lender possession,and you have to keep in mind the state of the housing market at the moment,however there is another option you may not have thought of and this would help you particularly as you cannot work at the moment and have little in the way of income and thats the mortgage rescue scheme.

The mortgage resue scheme works like this,your local council(or a registered social landlord) would buy your property,you would still be able to live there paying rent to the council which would be a much smaller amount than your mortgage and any equity after a sale was agreed would come to you to pay off your other debts.In most cases you also have the option to buy back at a later stage,in your case this might be the favourable option as it would allow you to clear your debts and stay in your home,and once the application was recieved by the council,this should put a temporary stay on court proceedings.Iknow its not ideal but it is worth thinking about.

Thanks for merging my threads Scott. Also Newstarter for the advice and reassurance, I’ve spoken to CAB about the mortgage rescue scheme and various other options but I don’t qualify for any of them. Abbey started proceedings a little while ago but withdrew them when I produced proof that the house has been on the market for the last few months, they then gave me a further six weeks to sell – that time has now run out which is why they’ve started proceedings again. I just feel that because there’s no way I can maintain payments on the mortgage and the Abbey have given me extra time in which to sell, that the judge will find in their favour. And yes, I am racking up interest and costs at an alarming rate!

Thanks for the advice Ell, I’ll hold off on doing anything til I hear back from you.

Hope you’re all having a nice time over Christmas and again many, many thanks for taking the time to reply at this busy time.

I was afraid you might say that,i detected from your previous posts that you may have explored options,however all is not lost,this hearing will probobly result in more time to sell the house,Ell-enn will put your defence statement together,you should be ok for a while yet.Dont loose heart you will be fine.