• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

We have so much debt, it seems only hope is selling house!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2952 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Thanks for your replies. Am going to sit down with hubbie tonight to make payments and work out who is still charging us interest - can't remember who it is at the mo without looking.

We have sent updated income and outgoings to companies who asked, allowing for all our costs, and two of the three we sent these to have accepted our proposed payments (which are still quite low and manageable).

BD, hope you are right that they will accept very low F&Fs at some point as with increasing costs we have no chance to save any money at all.

Most of the time am coping quite well with the situation but must admit I've spent the past couple of weeks worrying a lot about our debt and how we will ever pay it off, and that we will never be able to move as we can no longer obtain a mortgage - our house is too big and expensive but it is irrelevant at the moment as houses aren't selling anyway.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W

Good to hear from you. As you say, check out who is still charging interest and try to get these charges stopped - ideally with any interest chargedrefunded and back dated to when you first told them of your hardship. If they won't play ball threaten them with FOS - which will cost them £500 just to be referred to FOS by you - so they might play ball to avoid this.

I wouldn't worry unduly about bad credit ratings affecting your abilty to move in the medium/longer term - especially if it's to a smaller house with a lower mortage - things will improve over time - as property recovers and banks start to lend money more freely - then they might go back to rating you just based on your keeping up to date with your mortgage payments. If the token payments are affordable then just settle down and accept you'll be paying them pretty well for ever. That's what I've done with the two £5 monthly token payments I'm making - and will do so until I'm about 200 years old!

Good luck!

BD

£50k saved and £7k charges refunded:

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

Abbey Loan/BCW 50% - saved £2k. Barclaycard/CSL 40% - saved £6k

Monument/DCA 35% - saved £1k. LTSB/Wescot 50% - saved £4k

HBOS Visa £5k charges refund via Blair Oliver Scott

RBS Direct Line/(genuine) solicitors June 2010 40% - saved £3k

Morgan Stanley/Aktiv Kapital £11k SB Nov 2010

Over £40k balance write off and charges refunds to fight for:

HBOS O/d Charges £5k. Egg Loan/Aktiv Kapital CCA Dispute £8k

Egg Card/Fredrickson taking £5 monthly but CCA & Charges Dispute £4k

Goldfish/1st Credit DN/TN Dispute £9k. Capital One/CSL charges claim £4k

Barclaycard/CSL taking £5 monthly on £10k debt

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well?

Quick update: We've had a letter from HFC, offering us a settlement figure, which I think is approx. 1/3 of the total debt. We don't have this money at the moment, the offer is valid for 30 days in total, so about another 3 weeks.

As hubby is currently out of work again (although hopefully not for long, fingers crossed) we're not in a position to make any payment at present but would like to make a F&F payment to them when he is working again.

Would it be a good idea to make a counter-offer to them?

Thanks guys (and girls!) :-)

W

It's very important that any F&F deal is handled correctly - e.g. using a cheque from a third party - to protect you from them just applying your payment as a payment on account to redcue the balance.

Use the next 30 days to read up on a number of other F&F threads - so you know more about how to handle it.

However a "try on" offer of say 10-20% F&F in the mean time might not go wrong - but be sure to say you have been given very limited funds from a friend/relative and he/she will only agree to pay 10 or 20% F&F - nothing more - and you have other potential calls on this money to pay other creditors - and can't pay everyone even 10-20% with what has been made available to you just now. It might work - but certainly won't do any harm.

I have always found THEIR "limited time" offers get extended/repeated at any future time if/when the money is actually avialable - so don't worry about losing out on this current offer. A 33% F&F is not too bad - but 10 or 20% is so much better (for you - not for them) - so worth trying for.

Incidentally - I assume you're pretty sur ethey have an enforceable CCA agreement? If not then I would offer zilch!

Keep us posted - and post up any proposed letter before you send it.

Good luck!

BD

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

Hi wlchil

It's good to see you're alive and kicking. Nobody has yet offered me nuffink full or final and I defer to the advice of BD and other colleagues. It's interesting that when the banks offered to take a 50% F&F Greek haircut bank shares rose and when a Greek referendum was announced shares fell.

Funny old world?

x

v

• 10 months later...
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well?

Quick update: We've had a letter from HFC, offering us a settlement figure, which I think is approx. 1/3 of the total debt. We don't have this money at the moment, the offer is valid for 30 days in total, so about another 3 weeks.

As hubby is currently out of work again (although hopefully not for long, fingers crossed) we're not in a position to make any payment at present but would like to make a F&F payment to them when he is working again.

Would it be a good idea to make a counter-offer to them?

Thanks guys (and girls!) :-)

W

Lonmg time no hear - hopefully a good sign? How are things going with you now?

BD

Bigdebtor

W

Lonmg time no hear - hopefully a good sign? How are things going with you now?

BD

Hi BD,

It HAS been a long time, hasn't it?

Everything is more or less fine, no change really. Every three or six months some of our creditors contact us to say our agreement has now finished, I send off new I&Es and they accept for anothe 3/6 month period.

Hubby has been working since January and has contract til the end of the year. Still no chance to save any money to pay off large amounts of the debt :-( the money doesn't seem to go far these days.

Thanks for asking :-)

Hope everyone else is ok.

W

Things bumping along OK with me too - no further F&F activity - I'm only paying out two lots of £5 per month to Egg and Barclaycard - and just fending off various new DCA's who turn up every so often to chase up on the othe runresolved debts - but go away when I tell them I've got unanswered CCA or SAR requests and to come back when these have been answered.

It's just a case of waiting until these debts become SB - but they are all still 2-3 years away as foolishly (pre CAG) I was paying small token amounts to any new DCA's when forced to do so - I now know this was to restart the SB clock and stop it ticking to the SB date too quickly - I now know not to do anything like that - and I just tell them to come back when the outstanding CCA or SAR request has been fully dealt with!

However I'm having a bit of a problem with Glasgow Parking who claim an appeal letter I sent them didn't arrive - see thread below. They've gone right to the Bailiff stage without my getting any chance to state my case to anyone impartial - local democracy??? HUH!!!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?276853-Does-the-OFT-guidelines-on-Debt-Collection-apply-to-Council-Parking-Fines-and-Council-Tax-debts

Edited by Bigdebtor
typos

Bigdebtor