• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Hi, I am drafting the pro-rata letters and putting a income expenditure sheet together. One question, as I am overseas the expenditure currency is different to the debts. Are they entitled to see pay slips (also in anther currency which isnt indicated on the slips)?
    • I am investigating him still, but have this information so far: Junaid Sajad  Home address - 101 Vibart Road B26 2AB  or  165 Kelynmead Road B33 8LF - this last one was an address that he gave last night when I got a friend to pretend to want to view a car. He’s certainly a slippery devil!
    • I thought I would try one more time before I give up on the site. The forms I need to fill in will not download for me so I can’t fill them in,,,is there any other way to do this.
    • Volvo is only going to sell electric cars by 2030, the Swedish firm says. View the full article
    • It's because of the 2nd EU Payment Services Directive which came into effect in March last year which requires companies who deal with online payments, accounts etc to authenticate the customer using their mobile phone to reduce fraud.   I live in a rural area with no mobile signal and it became impossible to function without being able to receive one-time security codes by text to open & access banking and investments accounts so I had to change my network to one that had wifi calling.   It's a fact of life that mobiles have become a means of identification. Obviously a lot of older people don't have mobiles which is a problem for them and ironically you can't even open a SAGA savings account without a mobile number.       
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

We have so much debt, it seems only hope is selling house!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3085 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Thanks for your replies. Am going to sit down with hubbie tonight to make payments and work out who is still charging us interest - can't remember who it is at the mo without looking.

We have sent updated income and outgoings to companies who asked, allowing for all our costs, and two of the three we sent these to have accepted our proposed payments (which are still quite low and manageable).

BD, hope you are right that they will accept very low F&Fs at some point as with increasing costs we have no chance to save any money at all.

Most of the time am coping quite well with the situation but must admit I've spent the past couple of weeks worrying a lot about our debt and how we will ever pay it off, and that we will never be able to move as we can no longer obtain a mortgage - our house is too big and expensive but it is irrelevant at the moment as houses aren't selling anyway.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W

Good to hear from you. As you say, check out who is still charging interest and try to get these charges stopped - ideally with any interest chargedrefunded and back dated to when you first told them of your hardship. If they won't play ball threaten them with FOS - which will cost them £500 just to be referred to FOS by you - so they might play ball to avoid this.

I wouldn't worry unduly about bad credit ratings affecting your abilty to move in the medium/longer term - especially if it's to a smaller house with a lower mortage - things will improve over time - as property recovers and banks start to lend money more freely - then they might go back to rating you just based on your keeping up to date with your mortgage payments. If the token payments are affordable then just settle down and accept you'll be paying them pretty well for ever. That's what I've done with the two £5 monthly token payments I'm making - and will do so until I'm about 200 years old!

Good luck!

BD

£50k saved and £7k charges refunded:

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

Abbey Loan/BCW 50% - saved £2k. Barclaycard/CSL 40% - saved £6k

Monument/DCA 35% - saved £1k. LTSB/Wescot 50% - saved £4k

HBOS Visa £5k charges refund via Blair Oliver Scott

RBS Direct Line/(genuine) solicitors June 2010 40% - saved £3k

Morgan Stanley/Aktiv Kapital £11k SB Nov 2010

Over £40k balance write off and charges refunds to fight for:

HBOS O/d Charges £5k. Egg Loan/Aktiv Kapital CCA Dispute £8k

Egg Card/Fredrickson taking £5 monthly but CCA & Charges Dispute £4k

Goldfish/1st Credit DN/TN Dispute £9k. Capital One/CSL charges claim £4k

Barclaycard/CSL taking £5 monthly on £10k debt

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well?

Quick update: We've had a letter from HFC, offering us a settlement figure, which I think is approx. 1/3 of the total debt. We don't have this money at the moment, the offer is valid for 30 days in total, so about another 3 weeks.

As hubby is currently out of work again (although hopefully not for long, fingers crossed) we're not in a position to make any payment at present but would like to make a F&F payment to them when he is working again.

Would it be a good idea to make a counter-offer to them?

Thanks guys (and girls!) :-)

W

It's very important that any F&F deal is handled correctly - e.g. using a cheque from a third party - to protect you from them just applying your payment as a payment on account to redcue the balance.

Use the next 30 days to read up on a number of other F&F threads - so you know more about how to handle it.

However a "try on" offer of say 10-20% F&F in the mean time might not go wrong - but be sure to say you have been given very limited funds from a friend/relative and he/she will only agree to pay 10 or 20% F&F - nothing more - and you have other potential calls on this money to pay other creditors - and can't pay everyone even 10-20% with what has been made available to you just now. It might work - but certainly won't do any harm.

I have always found THEIR "limited time" offers get extended/repeated at any future time if/when the money is actually avialable - so don't worry about losing out on this current offer. A 33% F&F is not too bad - but 10 or 20% is so much better (for you - not for them) - so worth trying for.

Incidentally - I assume you're pretty sur ethey have an enforceable CCA agreement? If not then I would offer zilch!

Keep us posted - and post up any proposed letter before you send it.

Good luck!

BD

MBNA & A&L 35% F&F direct - saved £23k. Birmingham Midshires £1700 charges refunded

I hope I have helped - if I have please hit my star - and recognise the others who have helped too.

Bigdebtor

Hi wlchil

It's good to see you're alive and kicking. Nobody has yet offered me nuffink full or final and I defer to the advice of BD and other colleagues. It's interesting that when the banks offered to take a 50% F&F Greek haircut bank shares rose and when a Greek referendum was announced shares fell.

Funny old world?

x

v

• 10 months later...
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well?

Quick update: We've had a letter from HFC, offering us a settlement figure, which I think is approx. 1/3 of the total debt. We don't have this money at the moment, the offer is valid for 30 days in total, so about another 3 weeks.

As hubby is currently out of work again (although hopefully not for long, fingers crossed) we're not in a position to make any payment at present but would like to make a F&F payment to them when he is working again.

Would it be a good idea to make a counter-offer to them?

Thanks guys (and girls!) :-)

W

Lonmg time no hear - hopefully a good sign? How are things going with you now?

BD

Bigdebtor

W

Lonmg time no hear - hopefully a good sign? How are things going with you now?

BD

Hi BD,

It HAS been a long time, hasn't it?

Everything is more or less fine, no change really. Every three or six months some of our creditors contact us to say our agreement has now finished, I send off new I&Es and they accept for anothe 3/6 month period.

Hubby has been working since January and has contract til the end of the year. Still no chance to save any money to pay off large amounts of the debt :-( the money doesn't seem to go far these days.

Thanks for asking :-)

Hope everyone else is ok.

W

Things bumping along OK with me too - no further F&F activity - I'm only paying out two lots of £5 per month to Egg and Barclaycard - and just fending off various new DCA's who turn up every so often to chase up on the othe runresolved debts - but go away when I tell them I've got unanswered CCA or SAR requests and to come back when these have been answered.

It's just a case of waiting until these debts become SB - but they are all still 2-3 years away as foolishly (pre CAG) I was paying small token amounts to any new DCA's when forced to do so - I now know this was to restart the SB clock and stop it ticking to the SB date too quickly - I now know not to do anything like that - and I just tell them to come back when the outstanding CCA or SAR request has been fully dealt with!

However I'm having a bit of a problem with Glasgow Parking who claim an appeal letter I sent them didn't arrive - see thread below. They've gone right to the Bailiff stage without my getting any chance to state my case to anyone impartial - local democracy??? HUH!!!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?276853-Does-the-OFT-guidelines-on-Debt-Collection-apply-to-Council-Parking-Fines-and-Council-Tax-debts

Edited by Bigdebtor
typos

Bigdebtor