We have so much debt, it seems only hope is selling house!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It seems I spoke too soon. No sooner have I posted that all is well and ticking over nicely, we receive letters from Marks and San tander Cards, both asking us to call them. Have they learnt nothing?! They had both accepted lower payments from us, but I guess it's coming up to review time (it's been 6 months). I'm thinking just a quick letter at the end of the month, saying we are not willing to correspond by phone but please write to us to let us know what you require ...?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The easiest response is really a letter making 2 points:

- I will only deal with this matter by means of written correspondence so please remove all my telephone numbers from your system;

- My financial circumstances have not altered in the last 6 months so I propose to continue my payments to you at the previously agreed amount.

Edited by IainHL
CAG & IE7 do not seem to get on!

W

I agree with Iain. KISS - Keep it short and simple. I think as long as they keep getting then token payments then they'll just take them and do nothing serious - maybe the odd blustering response - but so what! My lot seem to have given up trying to "modify" or "review" as just I just "thank them for the offer to review but at this time I don't need to reduce the token amounts (only £5 to each of two - zilch to all others) currently being made - but will bear their offers for a review in mind should the need arise.

They don't see able to deal with polite stupidity! :madgrin:

You said OH might be losing current contract soon? If so then I would spook them a bit and tell the you can CURRENTLY keep going with the agreed payments - but if OH loses his current contract then you'll need to modify these - but you'll keep them posted - also put in a BTW - no point asking me to ring you since as previously advised I am only prepared to discuss matters in writing (might be worth offering them an e-mail option - cheaper for you?).

Good luck!

BD

My lot seem to have given up trying to "modify" or "review" as just I just "thank them for the offer to review but at this time I don't need to reduce the token amounts (only £5 to each of two - zilch to all others) currently being made - but will bear their offers for a review in mind should the need arise.

They don't see able to deal with polite stupidity! :madgrin:

Lol!

You said OH might be losing current contract soon? If so then I would spook them a bit and tell the you can CURRENTLY keep going with the agreed payments - but if OH loses his current contract then you'll need to modify these - but you'll keep them posted - also put in a BTW - no point asking me to ring you since as previously advised I am only prepared to discuss matters in writing (might be worth offering them an e-mail option - cheaper for you?).

Ah, the token payments they accepted were offered whilst he was out of work in January and are £1. So can't go much lower! Agree re conversing via email though - will offer them the option and tell them no point ringing etc. .......

Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't offer them your email address, and keep everything in writing. Should any of these ever get to court action (and please understand I am not trying to scare you with that statement) the solicitors will get your email address, and I have seen too many threads on here where solicitors email some ambush to the protocols at the last possible minute (for instance the day before a hearing). Far more difficult to do if they have to rely on the postal system (or far more expensive for them as they will have to pay for Special Delivery).

Edited by IainHL
Word missing

I don't disagree with Iain and Elsa's caution on this - but my objective has always been to AVOID court action by seeming to be co-operative, politely stupid, too poor to chase too vigorously etc.etc. To this end then e-mails can be a cheap, fast and effective way of giving them loads of extra work to do - with zero cost and minimum effort to me.

E.g. every time I make a BACS payment (£5 per month to only two DCA's) I send them an e-mail - and ask them to confirm receipt. If I don't get any reply I chase them up and tell them I'm concerned that the money has left my account but not reached their account - so I'll suspend all further payments until they have checked out that there is no problem at their end - and got back to me to confirm all is OK.

An outsider reading the e-mail trail would simply see an over cautious but very "co-operative" debtor doing his best to keep his promises - but WE know differently - nudge nudge wink wink. :-)

As I said earlier they don't seem programmed to cope with "polite stupidity"!

BD

E.g. every time I make a BACS payment (£5 per month to only two DCA's) I send them an e-mail - and ask them to confirm receipt. If I don't get any reply I chase them up and tell them I'm concerned that the money has left my account but not reached their account - so I'll suspend all further payments until they have checked out that there is no problem at their end - and got back to me to confirm all is OK.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi wilchil

I've just had a 6 monther from NW (I think we both started around the same time). I have telephoned them and explained that plus ca change save that gas, electricity and motoring costs appear to have risen and that OH refuses to co-operate in the provision of joint financial information due to harassment from DCAs that have threatened employment and right to family life that may be subject to legal proceedings with support of OH's trade union.

To be fair, NW were helpful and after running through the usual bleeding obvious have agreed another 6. I'm not recommending this as a course of action but merely reporting facts as they are or appear to be.:wink:

x

v

PS I haven't a clue what BD means by 'polite stupidity'.

Edited by victoria_siempre

Vic

I was about to explain what "polite stupidity" meant - but if I just say it's the antonym of "rude cleverness" then I'm sure you'll fully understand! :wink:

If you're old enough to remember Columbo he was the maestro of it!

Basically it's just an extension of the male tactic to screw up every job my wife asks (sorry - tells) me to do about the house - to avoid getting asked (told) again.

BD

Vic

I was about to explain what "polite stupidity" meant - but if I just say it's the antonym of "rude cleverness" then I'm sure you'll fully understand! :wink:

If you're old enough to remember Columbo he was the maestro of it!

Basically it's just an extension of the male tactic to screw up every job my wife asks (sorry - tells) me to do about the house - to avoid getting asked (told) again.

BD

Tingy im great at that, my wife gets so angry it becomes funny, but not in her eyes.

Favourite saying to get her going............... "I'll do it in a minute"......goes ape if i say it

Apologies to the original poster for diverting your post for a minute - I do it by telling her I can do it better than her. Out of pure pride she proves me wrong.

Men are devious, but women....... well, I still wouldn't be without mine for all the money in the world (though I've always fancied a few camels lol!)

Apologies to the original poster for diverting your post for a minute - I do it by telling her I can do it better than her. Out of pure pride she proves me wrong.

Men are devious, but women....... well, I still wouldn't be without mine for all the money in the world (though I've always fancied a few camels lol!)

i might leave that on your true call so she will hear it !

Apologies to the poster for having a bit of fun on your post

I once got a camel coat for my wife - but it didn't fit me - and something must have gone wrong with the deal as she is is still here - with a camel coat!

It's ALL very confusing - and I'll never trust a camel coat salesman ever again to stick to the agreed deal!

BD

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update:

Received a couple of letters asking us to phone them - which of course we won't do, as we're only prepared to correspond in writing!

We CCA'd Sant ander loan (this was our oldest debt), it took them a long time to get back to us but they have now sent a copy of the original form we signed and requested we call them. We've responded with a letter saying please correspond in writing, here is our personal budget sheet with ins and outs, we can pay you £....

Also had a letter from M&S asking us to contact them, done same letter to them with personal budget sheet.

Will see what comes of it.

Next have extended by 3 months time we can pay £1 per month.

The others are still accepting low payment. Most have passed to debt recovery cos. and frozen interest etc. bar one, I think now.

However, due to changes in employment, increases in prices etc we're not managing to put any money away, it all goes on car repairs, clothes for daughter (which I only buy on Ebay anyway!) etc.

Feel we will be paying this off from beyond the grave but at least we are still here.

Hope everyone else is fine and coping.

W

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't worry too much about having to pay these small amounts "for ever". As inflation continues and bank charges increase, it will probably soon cost the DCA or OC more than £1 in charges to take your £1 every month - and they may then offer a really low F&F - like 1-5%. In fact one way to accelerate this might be to ask them to accept weekly payments of 25p instead of £1 per month - telling them you would find it easier to manage finances on a weekly basis from now on. I haven't tried this myself - but it might be worth a try if you're ever feeling like baiting them to see how they might react. If they did accept a very low F&F I could always sell a camel coat to raise the cash. It never fitted me anyway!

As far as the one (or more?) who are STILL charging interest, I would keep on at them - as they are not "playing fair" when others have suspended interest. I would write to them again detailing how the other creditors are willing to help - and asking them to also accept your hardship situation and do likewise. If they still refuse then ask them to confirm if this is their FINAL response - as you will go to FOS if they do not treat your hardship sympathetically and your indebtedness to them continues to grow as the interrst charged is much more than your token payments. At the very least such a complaint to FOS will cost them £500 - and FOS may well tell them to fall into line (although donm't hold your breath on this happening!).

Hope this helps!

BD