We have so much debt, it seems only hope is selling house!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thanks all for your help. Hubbie hopefully has a new contract from mid january, although until he actually has paperwork in his hands and starts the contract, i won't relax! We've been in this situation too many times before and you can't rely on a word people say, unfortunately.

If that's the case i would do an i&e now based on job seekers only - before he has a new contract.

Thanks for the advice. Santander c.c. Did freeze interest and charges without an i&e form before, wondering why they are now insisting. Hubbie is reluctant to provide this info, says it's none of their business. I just want it sorted to be honest. It is dragging on and we are no closer to getting rid of the debt and i don't know how we will ever be able to save enough to make f&fs for the larger amounts. Still, will battle on for now.

I would send national debt line i&e - nothing to lose.

Db - we only eat stewed meat these days, i can't believe how much my shopping habits have changed recently! Lots of supermarket's value/basic goods, plus home made bread and biscuits, less meat. We no longer eat out or have coffees out! It all makes a difference. Have managed to shave money off all sorts of bills too (elec/gas, home insurance, contact lenses, broadband).

I was thinking we'll pay the usual amount at the end of this month and send off the national debtline i&es form to those who have requested (all of them!).

NO!

Do you think it would make more sense to pay £1 or £0 to each at the end of this month, tell them hubbie is jobless (not redundant! Thanks for that tip) and to bear with us and then write again after new contract starts mid jan (hopefully!) with new i&es instead?

Yes - send new i&e with £1 - with usual clause - only bank cheque if accepting this as ongoing amount and freezing interest/charges.

Don't worry, i'll be contacting the mortgage people at the end of the month (correct, btw, no mortgage holiday left) and making sure utilities, council tax etc are paid. I'll cancel any superfluous insurance - hubbie has critical illness and mortgage cover on death which i'm thinking of cancelling, it'll free up another £30 a month, also pet insurance and fingers crossed nothing happens!

Keep this amount on i&e for now - gives you more flexibility.

Thanks again. Back to the sofa for me, chores all done! :lol:

See replies above in bold - have a nice christmas - keep us posted.

Bd

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the reply BD. Agree re. doing I&Es based on job seekers allowance in case the contract doesn't materialise, will start on that tomorrow, getting form ready and letters to send off.

Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for your help over the past months, I couldn't have done it without you. I'll update when anything happens/ask for advice if we need it.

Thanks again.

Thanks all for your help. Hubbie hopefully has a new contract from mid January, although until he actually has paperwork in his hands and starts the contract, I won't relax! We've been in this situation too many times before and you can't rely on a word people say, unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice. Santander c.c. did freeze interest and charges without an I&E form before, wondering why they are now insisting. Hubbie is reluctant to provide this info, says it's none of their business. I just want it sorted to be honest. It is dragging on and we are no closer to getting rid of the debt and I don't know how we will ever be able to save enough to make F&Fs for the larger amounts. Still, will battle on for now.

DB - we only eat stewed meat these days, I can't believe how much my shopping habits have changed recently! Lots of supermarket's value/basic goods, plus home made bread and biscuits, less meat. We no longer eat out or have coffees out! It all makes a difference. Have managed to shave money off all sorts of bills too (elec/gas, home insurance, contact lenses, broadband).

I was thinking we'll pay the usual amount at the end of this month and send off the National Debtline I&Es form to those who have requested (all of them!).

Do you think it would make more sense to pay £1 or £0 to each at the end of this month, tell them hubbie is jobless (not redundant! thanks for that tip) and to bear with us and then write again after new contract starts mid Jan (hopefully!) with new I&Es instead?

Don't worry, I'll be contacting the mortgage people at the end of the month (correct, btw, no mortgage holiday left) and making sure utilities, council tax etc are paid. I'll cancel any superfluous insurance - hubbie has critical illness and mortgage cover on death which I'm thinking of cancelling, it'll free up another £30 a month, also pet insurance and fingers crossed nothing happens!

Thanks again. Back to the sofa for me, chores all done! :lol:

Hello Wilchil

Uncross those fingers and DO NOT CANCELL THE CRITICAL ILLNESS INSURANCE. The money that you are spending on that particular type of insurance is money well spent, do not take a chance on such unfortunate events never happening in your life!

Merry Christmas Wilchil and to all who have supported you in these difficult times.

Kind Regards

The Mould

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update ...

We sent out a letter to all our creditors on 25th Dec, (what a lovely way to spend Christmas!), saying hubbie out of work, and sending National Debtline I&Es to them all. Offered no payment for now and didn't mention redundancy!! :)

Have had letters from HF C, M& S, S antander card and loan, some with DNs, all asking us to contact them.

Think we'll just write to them, saying "you appear to have misfiled our letter dated 25the Dec, here's a copy for your information" and wait for them to comment on that!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and wishing you all Happy New Year!!

Thanks Elsa. Happy new year.

We sent a token payment of £1 to all creditors today with a letter to those who have written,saying they appear to have misfiled our letter and here's a copy for your convenience.

Fingers crossed, hubbie starting new job tomorrow, will wait to see how much he gets after tax and then do new I&Es for them all.

BD, I am still keeping all letters with the envelopes they arrived in, with date received written on them.

God news re job - I hope that means his tea will be ready and waiting when he comes home every night? :wink:

Don't do new I&E's too quickly - if they come back with decent offers (based on your offer and zero interest/charges) on the I&E already supplied then just accept them - and use any excess at end of month to build up a fund for F&F's further down the line.

BD

PS - you had mentioned cancelling some insurances etc. if necessary. Don't cancel if you can avoid doing so - but shop around and ensure there aren't any better deals on these now available. Insurers have a habit of putting up premiums for loyal clients - and other companies might now undercut your current premiums.

Yes have just shopped around for motor insurance and home insurance, both came cheaper from other companies, much cheaper! And present insurers weren't prepared to drop price to the same.

Only insurance I've cancelled so far is pet insurance. Will take a look for cheaper critical illness cover for hubbie.

Hubbie will get tea if he behaves! He'll be working 12 hour day/night by the look of it, so not home for dinner time anyway :(

Anyone know if O2 run a credit check if we go for a new Simplicity sim, as we are going to change Hubbie's mobile no. to get rid of all the nuisance calls?

Hi again,

Quick update. It's been very quiet for the last week, maybe they are actually reading our letters.

However, interesting letter from S antander cards today, saying they have considered our offer of payment but can't accept it because their assessment shows we are able to meet the minimum monthly payment!!! As in our I&Es we listed our income as £440 job seeker's allowance and our outgoings as approx. £2000, not sure how they calculated that!!!

Suspect this is just another computer generated letter, not based on any figures at all, just sent to everyone, because why should they be helpful?!

Their letter was dated 5th Jan. We have written since then with a token payment of £1 so will wait for a reply to that, unless you advise otherwise.

Hi wilchil

It is computer generated. I finally got them to accept £1 (only for 6 months) and a freeze; but they sent me the same letter as your's after to agreeing to £1. They even said, on the 'phone (I know) that the silly letter would be coming but to ignore it.

You can complain to them (all the usual stuff) citing the recent OFT judgement against MBNA and refusal to consider reasonable offers; this raises a formal 8 week complaint procedure which might make a human intervene.

love

vic

W

I would just ignore this letter since you sent one after it - why give yourself extra work and spend more on postage? When it's time to send the next £1, if you've heard nothing further then prompt them - saying that you since you have not had any formal confirmation you assume banking the £1 cherques to be such confirmation - otherwise these £1 cheques should be returned or refunded. Then refer to their last letter and tell them you assume the letters must have crossed in the post as their last letter was clearly an error.

BD

Can you advise me what to do about the attached letter please? They sent a DN months ago, have passed it on to Albion (DCA??), both are now writing to us, Albion just always ring us, and we always say no. Stalemate.

They have had I&Es from us now and banked all our cheques since July 2010. They said they would accept our lower payments and freeze interest and charges after sending us a DN and receiving our I&Es, what a surprise that they haven't done yet!

Thanks.

sains1ed.jpg

sains2ed.jpg

Sorry, will scan again and see what went wrong. DH has been using scanner and scanned this doc, has obviously changed a setting, not sure what. Will scan when I finish work or tomorrow.. Basically they are offering us £250 compensation because they haven't dealt with our matter correctly, it seems!!!

Nah. Basically says sorry we were unhappy with the service we received, they agree we received a poor level of service from collections area in respect of attempts to set up reduced repayment arrangement and by ignoring our request to be contacted in writing. don't agree that they shouldn't ask for I&Es. Explained that letters and cheques are separated on receipt, so cashing cheques does not mean they accept them. DN issued 23/10/10. Is likely DN will be registered within next 60 days and ac**** passed to recovery agents 9so who the h*ll are Albion??). Once account defaulted no further interest or charges will be added. Collection area not set up to deal with accounts on individual written basis. Prefer telephone. Appreciate we don't want that tho. have removed our numbers (we've changed them anyway! )The letters we have received are standard letters, set up for any customer in arrears. Not intended to be threatening (no?), never meant to knock on the door, just to phone. They don't agree they made excessive attempts to call us. In recognition of poor service we received they ofer us £250 and also have refunded additonal interest of £9.69 (?). We are to let them know if we accept.

Should we accept?

Thanks.

Been working all evening and can't get my head round scanner right now, hope above summary suffices.

Thanks all.

Goodnight.

Hi wilchil

In offering £250 they admit they've done something wrong; but where does the figure £250 come from?

Repeat your offer with a formal complaint and request for complaints procedure and await their FINAL RESPONSE.

Others will comment more forcibly, I'm sure.

x

v

Wilchil

I agree with Vic.

If they're offering £250 they must be scared (although they may just want to avoid FOS getting involved as it will cost them double this if you involve FOS!). I would write back telling them you are still not satisfied with their conduct of your account (don't mention the £250 at all- if they send it then bank it and later write saying this is not a settlement as your procedure is to separate all cheques, bank them and then deal with attached correspondence later:madgrin: - goose and gander!)

Also tell them if they cannot handle individual accounts by post they must change their systems so that they can - since anyone can withdraw their right to contact them by phone or by doorstep visit. If they now admit their threat of a door step visit was empty then they contravene OFT guidelines on Debt Collection (easily got on Google). Tell 'em that too!

Also tell them they need to change their system regarding banking cheques which are only offered on a conditional basis. Warn them there is ample CASE LAW supporting your contention that in banking these cheques (especially in repeatedly doing so) they HAVE accepted your accompanying conditions.

Ask them to clarify WHY Albion are now chasing you when their letter says they have not yet put it out to DCA's? Tell them you want a FINAL RESPONSE and you'll involve FOS if not satisfied. I take it you did give them the abbreviated F&F recently? If not then send it now. In fact send it again in case this is now enough to get them to play ball. Copy CEO on all of this.

Write to Albion telling them you are in direct contact with Sainsbury CEO and you will NOT deal with them UNLESS they send you written proof of their status in this situation, including (but not limited to) a Notice of Assignment which conforms with provisions of Law of Property Act 1925.

Go get 'em Gal!

BD