Warning: new advertising/phone call scam

qa19

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok not content with [causing problems] you out of money for fake charity mags they are phoning for database removal of your company from records so you don't get the calls. They claim to be government funded and details were passed to them by certain advertising agencies. After a few questions I mentioned I wasn't interested he actually insulted me and put the phone down. How's that for professionalism?

Hi qa19,

As a small business, I'm hounded by advertisers trying to sell me all sorts of ads in various publications all the time.

I refuse and ask for my data to be removed from their calling list, and they generally agree. But then I get further calls regardless and I'm afraid it will continue as there's little that can be done to regulate this type of business.

Occasionally, OFCOM, Trading Standards or the OFT will have a go at persistent offenders but many of these calls are from outside of the UK anyway.

Register with the TPS and this will at least stop some of the calls you would otherwise get - TPS Registration

As for any unwanted calls, tell the caller you are recording incoming calls, you are on the TPS register and you would like your numbers removed from their database.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I tend not to use insults but prefer to act stoopid so they have to explain every little detail to me several times.

I string the call out until one of us gets bored.

I'm always amazed at how little they actually listen to what I say, instead sticking to their own sales pitch.

I could write a book about some of the calls I've had over several decades.

And I really miss the good old-fashioned "Crossed Lines" which I assume modern phone equipment doesn't suffer from. ;)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

had another call today for 'sponsership'. When I interupted him and told him I wasn't interested he got very aggressive and said it could have benefited the company if I actually listened to him. They do tend to say stuff like 'Thank you very much then you ****' before hanging up. Sad thing is they must be making millions for so many of them to exist and the government or TS clearly aren't doing enough to combat the situation.

• 6 months later...
had another call today for 'sponsership'. When I interupted him and told him I wasn't interested he got very aggressive and said it could have benefited the company if I actually listened to him. They do tend to say stuff like 'Thank you very much then you ****' before hanging up. Sad thing is they must be making millions for so many of them to exist and the government or TS clearly aren't doing enough to combat the situation.

I'm not ashamed to say that my language to them would make a sailor blush, sometimes before they start their sales pitch and sometimes after taking the p**s out of them.