Any way to leave early ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm currently coming to the end of my AST (due to end in Sep). My contract states that I have to give 1 months notice before I can leave. Unfortunately it's been impossible for me to find a landlord/agent willing to wait for 4 - 5 weeks.

I have to give notice on the same day that rent is due (3rd of every month), which means that the earliest I can currently move is the 2nd August (if I give notice on 3rd July). I need to find a property before I give notice, which means that I have to find a property by the 3rd July. No landlord/agent I've spoken to so far is willing to wait for longer than two weeks, even with a holding deposit.

I'm also on HB.

Is there any way for me to move ASAP ?

TIA

I think you may misunderstand your contract.

An assured shorthold tenancy (AST) is a fixed term contract. You can leave on the last day of the contract without giving notice but most people do give notice - it is polite to do so.

Of course you can leave before the final date of the AST - but you will be liable to pay the rent until the last day of the contract (i.e. 2 September) and your LL does not have to return the deposit until after that date and the property has been checked - and it makes sense to be there at check out.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

• 2 weeks later...