Housing Benefit...Inerview Under Caution...YIKES

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks.

Well where do I start???

Now to shed some more light on this. I stopped claiming ESA in January as I found it more hassle than it was worth running half way round the country to this meeting and that...considering this was supposed to be helping me find work, I found it a total waste of effort and time for the derisory sum of £60 per week so I decided to bin them and take my chances finding work on my own. Even though I had stopped claiming JSA, I knew I was still entitled to help with my rent.

Then last week I got a letter from the dreaded Rundle and Co regarding some old Council Tax arrears so I immediately contacted the Council to ask why this was. They then checked my account and seen that I hadn't been claiming ESA since January and asked how I would be proposing to pay these arrears to themselves if they took it back from the Bailiff? I said (bluffing) that I hoped to be starting a part time job in the next few weeks to which they replied that they would suspend any action until I had called them when I have details of a job.

The very next day I get a letter from the Council saying they have suspended my claim and wish for me to attend an interview under caution...coincidence? Now I'm a bit worried.

Why would they want to see me...are they wondering how I've supported myself for the last 3 months maybe??? That's easy to answer...I sold a load of my old rubbish (16 items) on ebay...hardly an income but it kept the wolf from the door whilst looking for work and I would be more than happy to show them my ebay account transactions to prove this...I've traded about £300 since January.

I didn't think I would need to declare this tiny bit of money as work or even an income as, for starters, the possessions I sold were sold for a lot less than I paid for them so it's not like I made a profit.

The other thing is, I have a friend (only a friend) come and stay with me a couple of nights a week as they are "between addresses" so to speak. And as a thank you for somewhere to get their head down for a couple of nights a week, this person helps me with the odd lift here and there a couple of times a week which is beneficial to me as I don't drive myself.

I don't think it's about that as to me it would seem a direct reaction to my phoning them.

I entered into all of this innocently as I'd had enough of jumping through hoops to no avail for the Jobcentre and if my ebaying ever progressed beyond me just selling my old rubbish and reached the level where I could support myself then I would gladly have informed them.

I don't know what to do...I feel totally lost now.

I am eternally grateful to anyone who takes the time to read this and indebted to anyone who feels they cam impart any advice.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Have you spoken to the CAB about this?

Once you stop claiming anything, the Benefits Section of the local council is notified, as you are claiming housing benefits and if you haven't notified the council of this they will automatically stop your benefits for Council Tax and Housing Benefits. They tend to conduct the interviews under caution.

Make sure you have a written statement with you when you attend this interview. Please have a support person with you.

you are under an obligation to inform the benefits Section of the Council of any changes in your circumstances.

Someone may have reported something i.e the friend between addresses

Hi, i'm sorry that i can't help you, i have no experience but i'm sure someone will be along soon to help you, please don't panic about the interveiw, i've been to 1 and it wasn't too bad, and i had done wrong, i just told the truth and it was sorted in no time.

From what info you've given i'd say they might be fishing and as you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to worry about. The only real advice i'll give is take your time when answering questions, even seemingly simple ones, they could be leading you somewhere unexpected, if you don't understand a question then say so, don't rush into answering.

good luck and i hope someone comes along to help you soon

• Haha 1

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate it and it means a lot to me.

Well since posting, I have reapplied via Rapid Reclaim for JSA and when they asked if I had any difference in circumstances, I was upfront and told them I have a friend that comes over and stays the odd night sometimes most of the week but I told them that this person was in no way my partner as I'm a happily gay man and the fairer sex does very little for me. I've nothing to hide. I explained that my friend has been an absolute rock in times of crisis with the odd lift here and there but that is as far as it goes I assume I may be asked more about this when I go to my JSA interview tomorrow morning.

As for the council...well yes it is quite possible that some busybody has misreported something they think have seen...In my neighbourhood you see, I am not openly gay due to the repercussions this would cause so a woman and an immaculately turned out man :-) may've got their tongues wagging (no pun intended)

Thank you again everyone

Guest Mrs Hobbit

magicmart123, you have made my day. if you come to the Shires in Middle Earth, Mrs Hobbit will gladly open her door to a smartly dressed man.

Good luck with your interview and just take care when answering the questions.

Let's hope it is slap on the wrists with a wet bus ticket and don't do it again.

They may regard the sale of goods on eBay as income unless you are able to prove that the goods were purchased when you were employed. I had bought a load of vitamin stuff to sell on when iw as working and when I lost my job I continued with the sales which brought in about £60 in gross profit per week. This was reagrded as income although I was just planning to dispose of the stuff for which I had already paid. They did not take into consideration that the stuff had to be mailed out and that there were other costs involved, i.e. advertising, transport, phone calls etc. At the end of the day net profit was only about £30 per week. Total stock was less than £400 but got a warning and housing benefit stopped. At the time I was not claiming JSA only signing on. Weird!

• Haha 1

Why won't anyone answer this? No offence but other people are getting answers of a similar nature. Have I offended someone or something?

A lot of advisors on here do work as advised on other thread you commented on, snobby was mentioned also:eek:the post on another thread gives unfair inpacient opnion which can easily be overturned with waiting a little while for advice. You say you did not in anyway refer to this site 'HERE' was mentioned on the other thread:rolleyes:

Please be careful what you post, those who read do offer the advice free:p

You also accuse me of hijacking anothers thread responding to post of yours which I found suprising and then acting in childish manner to my reply. I have informed the site team and would refer you to the site rules on behaviour when a new cagger, maybe you didnt read it. I suggest you have a problem closer to home rather than this site, that of lack of patience.xx

Edited by loopinlouie

Why won't anyone answer this? No offence but other people are getting answers of a similar nature. Have I offended someone or something?

Advisors tend to work and you may notice later in the evening they come on after at least getting a chance to eat some tea, sorry not quick enough for you:p Understand you are worried but suggesting offended someone due to no response during working hours is childish:lol:

The Council will only know that you have come off of ESA, and probably not what your current income is. More often than not,- this is not allways teh people come off of a means tested benefit because their circumstances have changed for the better (ie they have a new job, new partner etc). The interview is probably about that.

I would recommend you have verifiable income details (ie proof of your income,bank statements, copy of pay pal account) to hand because they will probably ask for them.

It is an offence not to report a change in circumstances to the benefit office.

Like most of the benefits staff that come on here and share our experiance/knowledge to help people, i was at work today when you originally posted hence the slow response.

• Haha 1

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Housing Benefit is an income based benefit so whenever you have a change of income you need to inform the Council about it. So you should have informed them you were no longer claiming ESA/JSA (you mention both) and what your current income is i.e. living off savings, any earnings, money borrowed or given by friends/relatives, etc.

Since your invite for an interview coincides with the conversation about Council Tax I'd say it's likely that it will be the question of what were you living on as they thought you were getting ESA/JSA. Sharing of info does happen between Councils and the DWP, etc but it often takes months for the DWP to send this info over. So if a claimant doesn't inform the Council themselves they will often face questions, an overpayment or an IUC when the info is shared.

• Haha 1

I thank everyone for their positive input apart from someone with a bee in their bonnet who has taken up a crusade of negativity and an overwhelming desire to be right...yawn.

I had my interview today and it was a lot less worrying than I initially anticipated.

I'm sorry if my original query came across as impatient (I was frantic with worry) and am very happy that the good people on this forum came through in my hour of need. As for anybody else...well I stand by the fact that some people forums actually go out of their way and expend far too much energy...to split hairs and generally be unhelpful.

My mother always used to say "If you can't say something sensible, say nothing at all"

And to the nameless negativity monger...Please do not hijack this thread unless you are going to be useful. I won't resort to calling you childish as I think such a term is a little insulting and I hope you manage to chill out, and calm down and stop taking everything so personally. Please stop harassing me or I will report you to the moderators.

Again I thank all the decent people who gave of their time freely. It means a lot to me.

Hi there. I'm pleased it went your way and hope it all gets sorted in the end.

Btw, is someone harassing you by PM or on the forum? If it's by PM, you should definitely report it to the site team. I take it you know what to do?

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Any further pointless or insulting posts will be removed. (you know who you are)

If we can all just post helpful advice or nothing at all then all will be well.:D

If anyone is being harrased by PM please contact the site team.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

magicmart123, so glad that things were not as bad you thought it might be. At some stage all of us have been frantic with worry, no need to apologise, we do understand.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

I've had a rush of blood to the head, it happens some times. Magic now you have had the experience, you might be able help those who are facing an IUC, even if it is just to steady their nerves...