Cancellation charges by Hastings Direct

northbiker

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid for 12 months motorcycle insurance with Hastings Direct last year. Had to sell the bike and cancel policy after 9 months and Hastings wanted £46 cancellation fee, this is over 50% of the entire policy premium!

I argued it and eventually had it reduced to £26, which is closer to the £20 fee quoted in their T&Cs, within the policy docs. My understanding of the law is that charges are illegal unless specifically made clear at the TIME OF PURCHASE.Is this correct?

Good to have a reduction, but what happened to refunds on unused cover?

I have started a Facebook group called End The Insurance Cancellation Charge Rip-off, as I think such charges are inherently unfair - it's like being charged by Tesco for any food you bought but didn't decide to eat, or say buying a cinema ticket then walking out...

How can it be right to charge huge amounts for `admin?' The admin on ending the policy is exactly the same, whether 12 months cover was purchased or not, with the sole exception of the return of the cover note - one letter does not cost £46.

In any case every damn business has admin - why should insurers be allowed to separate such costs out, the price quoted should be the price, full stop.

alastair w:)