• Tweets

• did you submit your directions
    • They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC charges, what should I do next?

supermodel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, it's my 1st post ... please be gentle :)

Story so far ... I was in Australia for 15 months and knew I was being 'stung' for charges but only realised how much when I got back. About £510 (current account only, Credit card is another story!!) .. on 2 occasions they hit me for £130 for being beyond 'agreed' £500 overdraft by about £100 for a week or so ... that doesn't seem right?.... Should they even have let me use the 'hole in the wall' to overstep the 'agreed' overdraft?? They also charged me AUD25 (about £20) a time to transfer funds from my Aussie HSBC current account to my UK current account .. which was deeper and deeper in the 'do' as a result of all the charges :eek:

Anyway, I wrote nicely to them and asked for it back - they refused. So I wrote nicely again asking them to review these charges, saying they were 'over the top' and asking them to 'make me a sensible offer' - they refused.

Having read quite a bit on CAG forums, I sent a SAR on 31/3/10 and received a big 'wodge' of papers 18 days later. This comprised 97 pages of current a/c statements going back 9 years (when a/c was opened) and 112 pages of 'Amounts and Statistics' sheets over same period that basically summarises debit and/or credit interest each month ...... and that was it! ... no copies of agreements, interventions, absolutely no mention of my credit card at all, even though this was specifically requested in the original SAR. .. although oddly someone in Customer Relations (Southend) offered me £28.26 as a "goodwill" payment for 'late payment admin charges' on my credit card account :confused:

I then sent an LBA(Section 7 - Data Protection Act 1998) telling them that the data sent was incomplete and reminded them that they had a further 15 days of the allowed 40 to comply. Foolishly, I forgot to send it as 'Recorded delivery' and so I sent it again (this time 'recorded signed for') and allowed them a 2 week extension on the 40 days. That was on the 15th May. On the 25th, I received a letter from Leeds saying they had "made arrangements to send (me) the requested information shortly" and offered "sincere apologies". 2 days later ... a letter from Sheffield stating that "(my) request for the provision of personal information which was received by HSBC Bank plc on 6th April 2010, but unfortunately only received in this office today" (dated 25/5/10) !!!! left hand ... I'd like to introduce you to right hand!:)

And that's it .... I have had nothing else since and would like to know what I should do next. Thanks in advance to anyone who has even bothered to trawl through my tale of woe and also for the CAG Forums in general, .. which at least give the individual a sense of hope against the likes of HSBC Bank etc..

Hi Supermodel , welcome to the forum :)

First of all they are in breach of the Data Protection Act for their failure to comply with your complete requirements within the 40 days ....... it's not your fault that their internal admin is incompetent , and you should tell them so......

Send them a letter from this link (whichever is nearest to your circumstances )

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/129-data-protection-act-non-compliance-template-letters-

and stress that you require the Credit Card agreement ..... it seems funny that they're ducking that issue and even funnier that they're offering you a 'goodwill' payment ..... if they're doing that I'd bet there's more behind it ....... and they're trying to duck and dive ....

So, basically , you can go ahead with your assessment of all the 'iffy' charges you'd like refunded , from your current account ..... (amazing that they managed to go back 9 years ...... they're usually reluctant to go back over 6 years ).......

And then when you get your Credit Card stuff from them ... come back and ask if you're in any doubt as to what should be there ... may not be me , but someone will answer , and we're user -friendly on here ..... :D

btw, keep an eye on your thread , there may be others with advice to add to mine ..... I may have missed something ...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Johnny Mitch. Update ... I sent them the Letter Before Action as you suggested, I included a list of the charges I want back and they've had it since last Friday ... which means that they're close to time out.

My next question is this; I'm happy to begin County Court proceedings and would like to know what's the best way to attack them ... should I go down the "Regulation 5 - not treating customers fairly" path or is there more mileage in the "you haven't sent me the agreements/contracts etc. because you haven't got them so you can't charge me"?? .... or both??

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received ... what do people think my chances of 'winning' are ....?

Supermodel

P.S. still nothing whatsoever on the Credit card account .. should I tie it all in on the same complaint? I thought it would have to be a separate one 'cos I don't really know the extent of the charges until they send me the details !!

• 3 weeks later...

Why not try both routes?

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

Update: A week ago I received a box full of documentation running to about 4 reams (!) and have spent some time reviewing it. A couple of days later, a Cd with recordings of telephone calls arrived but I haven't listened to them yet.

The reason for my post is that in spite of specifically asking for all documents relating to my credit card a/c in the letter before action that I sent them, nothing whatsoever has been received - no statements, no charges, no original agreement - a complete 'blank' on the credit card a/c,..... all this mass of paper is regarding my current account and/or savings account.

I guess my next move is to demand these documents forthwith?? ... and to get them to admit not having them if that turns out to be the case?? My question then becomes "what are the implications?" ..... if they don't have the original signed agreement for instance?

Just hit 'em with one of these from the Library supermodel , whichever suits you best .....

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/129-data-protection-act-non-compliance-template-letters-

And remind them that the 40-day clock is still ticking ........ :)

If and when they come back with a statement that they cannot supply any one of the documents you want , come back and ask ...... you'll get further advice .... best not to jump the gun until that happens though , I'd say ..... it's theoretical until it happens ....... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for responses. I should say that the 40 days since SAR submitted has long since expired. The first limited set of papers arrived after about 2 weeks, I then sent lba from templates here telling them they had not sent everything. They (in Sheffield) claimed that they had only received SAR on 25/5/10 (I have receipt showing they recieved it in local branch on 31/3/10). I allowed them another 2 weeks before I sent (on 9/6/10) another lba telling them time was up and listed numerous outstanding items plus a breakdown of charges i want back .. they didn't send the cheque as I hoped :lol: ...instead I got a snotty letter telling me (in essence)to be patient and that they were doing their best!!!

So ... as you can see, it's time for me to 'put up or shut up' ... I read elsewhere that the 'Ombudsman route' is a good one if I can show that they didn't treat me fairly (Regulation 5) ...seems to me that letting me overdraw cash when I was beyond the 'agreed' overdraft limit and then hitting me for £130 for the privelege falls into that category.. any thoughts gratefully received.

It's time for them to put up Supermodel ........send them a call-up using that template link I gave you .... tell 'em they've got 14 days to conform or you will report them to the Information Commissioner for breach of the Data Protection Rules ..........which this is because they're well outside the time limit and haven't completed your SAR...

Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998, data protection policy - ICO

I think at the moment that will produce more positive action than FOS who are snowed under and pretty ineffective of late anyway. It's rumoured they're using untrained staff /students to weed out claims, so some people just take that as a 'NO' instead of pushing for a more experienced complaints investgator ............

Nemo me impune lacessit