style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone know of a good low carb diet that works quickly? I need to lose a couple of stone by the end of August (I know - wishfull thinking, but something needs to be done).

I caught sight of myself in a shop window yesterday and almost wept. Weight just creeps on over time and then you get a fright when you finally admit to the result :(

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Can't beat following Atkins rigorously for quick results. And drink lots and lots of water with it. You can stay on the induction phase for a bit longer, but no longer than a month ideally.

Tip: Since Dr Atkins' death, his company has become all about flogging you products, stay away from them, there's really no need for them, and you're doing this at the best time, when our bodies aren't craving the stocking up on starch we get in the winter, and you get less hungry in summertime anyway.

Put a picture of fattie you in your least flattering outfit on the cupboard/fridge door, and keep a diary of your weight loss week by week (no more than that or the fluctuations make it pointless!) so you can see yourself losing the weight and also see if you start plateauing, you can adjust your carb intake accordingly.

You can do it! Ask away if you need any info on LC, I'm your woman! :-) (and let us know how you get on!)

Thanks Bookie you're a star :)

Can you get the Atkins diet info online?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Ell-enn if you pm me an address I can send you my copy of it. I did not use it

Thanks HF - pm sent :)

I hope it's easy to follow/implement. I work Mon - Fri so I need to be pretty organised with food to bring to work and know what I'm having when I get home etc.- and need to do the week's shopping in one go.

If I have to weigh stuff or count calories/points (like some of the other diets I've tried), it just won't happen.....

I hath fallen off the bridesmaid healthy eating programme with a thud since the wedding :-o

I need to get back on track as I have big birthday coming up soon, and as vain as it sounds, being a twin, I don't want to be 'the fat one'. :(

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

You don't.

Low-carb is all about simplicity and common sense, but you need to read the science bit for it to click, because we have been fed (!) so much nonsense that it is hard to get rid of the pre-conceived ideas.

Cut out: starchy foods, sugars.

Increase: protein, fat.

Low-fat stuff is higher in sugar then high-fat, so switch to full fat milk instead of skimmed, and avoid every low-fat stuff under the sun, they invariably contain more starches/sugars than the full fat stuff.

Butter instead of margerine.

Double cream instead of Elmlea.

Lots and lots and lots of fresh green veg: green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc... But cut out on the sugary/starchy ones to start with: corn, peas, carrots and onions contain lots of hidden sugars, so very small quantities of them to start with.

No bread, crackers, ryvitas, any bread product really. Pototoes, rice and pasta are out.

So for example, a good lunch idea would be: chicken (with skin on if you like it) with a cream sauce of some kind (flavoured Philadelphia is great for easy DIY sauces), and loads of green beans coated in butter, lemon juice and cracked pepper.

Or fresh salmon steak with cauliflower cheese (made with real cream/cheese).

A good cheat is instead of milk, even full-fat, is double cream cut with water. Same consistency, loads less sugars.

Eggs. Loads of them, boiled, scrambled, fried, you name it. Eggs are very very good for you, fill you up, are easy to use and versatile.

If you're not a pudding person, then the battle will be a lot easier.

I caught sight of myself in a shop window yesterday and almost wept. Weight just creeps on over time and then you get a fright when you finally admit to the result :(

It must have been the same window as the one I was looking in:oops::sad:

You don't.

Low-carb is all about simplicity and common sense, but you need to read the science bit for it to click, because we have been fed (!) so much nonsense that it is hard to get rid of the pre-conceived ideas.

Cut out: starchy foods, sugars.

Increase: protein, fat.

Low-fat stuff is higher in sugar then high-fat, so switch to full fat milk instead of skimmed, and avoid every low-fat stuff under the sun, they invariably contain more starches/sugars than the full fat stuff.

Butter instead of margerine.

Double cream instead of Elmlea.

Lots and lots and lots of fresh green veg: green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc... But cut out on the sugary/starchy ones to start with: corn, peas, carrots and onions contain lots of hidden sugars, so very small quantities of them to start with.

No bread, crackers, ryvitas, any bread product really. Pototoes, rice and pasta are out.

So for example, a good lunch idea would be: chicken (with skin on if you like it) with a cream sauce of some kind (flavoured Philadelphia is great for easy DIY sauces), and loads of green beans coated in butter, lemon juice and cracked pepper.

Or fresh salmon steak with cauliflower cheese (made with real cream/cheese).

A good cheat is instead of milk, even full-fat, is double cream cut with water. Same consistency, loads less sugars.

Eggs. Loads of them, boiled, scrambled, fried, you name it. Eggs are very very good for you, fill you up, are easy to use and versatile.

If you're not a pudding person, then the battle will be a lot easier.

Thanks Bookie - fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth (I bake and decorate cakes as a hobby for friends and family but can happily live without them). I prefer butter to marge anyway and I like all the things you've described - so fingers crossed it works.

Just out of interest - could this diet raise cholesterol?

I'd like to think there was something wrong with the glass - but I know there isn't !

Thanks Bookie - fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth (I bake and decorate cakes as a hobby for friends and family but can happily live without them). I prefer butter to marge anyway and I like all the things you've described - so fingers crossed it works.

Just out of interest - could this diet raise cholesterol?

Yes, it is a major risk with this diet and one of the key reasons it is so slated

No, it can raise the GOOD cholesterol and helps lower the bad one. It has been shown to be more effective than statins in that effect.

Fluffybunny, I'm sorry, but you do not know what you are talking about. It has only been slated by the media when they ran out of other things to slate, and by companies with an agenda (low-fat industry, which makes BILLIONS out of us failing for example).

I have been a Low-carber for 10 years (in the way some people are religious, I believe, but don't always practise, lol) and I have read pretty much every study in the field. Despite what weightwatchers and the Daily Mail would have us believe, scientific evidence does not support the scare stories.

LC works because it works with your body, not against. It relies on you listening to it and stopping eating when you're full. Low-fat diets are diets based on starving your body and fail because of that. On LC, you start eating a LOT. But, as you start filling up on fat and protein, you find that you're not as hungry and you start eating less anyway. The difference is you eat less because you're just not that hungry, not because yo must reduce your portions!

I could go on and on explaining the cycle of carbs absorbing, insulin, the high and the slump and the hunger coming back, but I don't want you to put you lot to sleep. All I can say is that LC breaks that deadly cycle and as long as you eat proper food when you're hungry and stop when you're not hungry, then you'll lose weight. It really is that simple. ;-)

Well I'm going to give it a go :)

Writing shopping list now, are cold meats OK? ham, roast beef etc? what about tomatoes?

Another one:eek:

I was nagged and I mean nagged to go up city yesterday by son and caugt site of my belly appearing below my top in the shop mirror. Horrifeid didnt cover it.

Went into evans straight away. I know I ususally cant go out much but didnt realise how my appearance had gone down hill.

I was wearing size 20 tops and bottoms and ready for it, needed 26 top and 24 bottoms.:eek::sad:

However had a blast in the store and actually fit into something now. Funny thing is I get stressed when pressured into store cards, so had courage this time to say I will take a card, but wont pay it back, they didnt offer it again:D:D

The skirts I got are elasticated and I think can be easily altered when lose weight. Have to say though my feet were killing me and today as I hardly move anywhere. Not just that told today eyesite gone downhill in last two months to extent got to go back to hospital and they did mention I should get tested for diabetes......Yipes, thatll teach me.:oops:

This weather doesn't help - all those young skinny things in little tops and skirts :( As soon as you realise how bad you look, everyone else starts to look great ! I'm ashamed of myself for getting in this state :mad:

Same here, it seems since I started on a diet, I put two stone on. The more I told myself what I couldnt have the more I wanted it, disgusted with myself also.

Took daughter swiming today and did notice another large lady there and thought wish had courage to go in the water with daughter. She didnt seem bothered if people noticed her, Id be worried they are taking the pee xx

At my son's wedding in 2007 my outfit was a 14 - I'm now straining in an 18! I'm only 5'5 so not tall enough to carry the extra 2 stone.

I was tempted to do slim fast for a couple of months. Morrison's have it selling at half price, but I don't know much about it. :rolleyes:

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I tried Slimfast when a friend was using it - I had one of the drinks and 5 minutes later I wanted my breakfast. You have to be VERY strong psychologically to accept a drink replaces your breakfast and lunch. I need to actually eat something. No willpower I'm afraid :oops: