• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

GLenn vs GE Capital store cards

Glenn UK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all

I know of at least three store cards I have had which i believe were all with GE, burtons, debenhams and House of Fraser.

I sent a SAR requesting data via my SAR, but they only sent stuff from HoF.

Reminded them subsequently of their duty to provide data for the debenhams account as i forgot about the burtons card until recently.

Funny thing is i reckon they should have revealed the info about the burtons card and the 1st national debt i had too.

Anyone else had similar experiences with GE capital?

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glenn

I too had a Debenhams card and am just about to send my SAR to them. I'll let you know, but I vaguely remember quite a lot of defaults!

Ryjayel

o---------------------------------------------------

Barclaycard & Barclays Bank Done! :whoo:

The journey back to a decent credit file is much longer than the path it took to ruin it!

i'm the same, keep remembering other accounts i had in the past. Isn't it terrible how you forget! A tip to find out everything (creditwise) in your past in to obtain your credit report- i'm now working thru mine!!! On with the fight! x

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

Yeah, I get mine delivered quarterly, its not the creditor I have problem remembering so much as the extortionate amount of charges I have paid them!

To that end, a letter to GE sent on the 1st September, I have not received any return communication...I'm tempted to call to make sure they received it and show them I mean business.

o---------------------------------------------------

Barclaycard & Barclays Bank Done! :whoo:

The journey back to a decent credit file is much longer than the path it took to ruin it!

FWIW dont ring and check they have received it.

You should always send letters either 1st class and get a sent receipt. Letters sent like this are deemed 'served' two days after postage, or you send recorded in which case you check online.

If you ring and they ask if they have received it and they say no you have to start all over again.

Oh and they know you mean busness because you told them you did and when the given timeframe runs out you send the next appropriate letter or begin proceedings at court.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

For what its worth (FWIW)

HTH (Hope that Helps)

Glenn (my name!!!LOL)

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

you should send the letters Recorded...

FWIW, i didnt have any problems getting my refunds out of GE Capital.

A Prelim letter for each account was enough for them to roll over.

i was VERY surprised, i must say.

• 4 months later...

Well its been along time since i posted on this thread but i have been busy trying to get my Data GE money say they havent got it so im going to ask the court, heres my partiocualrs of claim

1. The Claimant had two credit (store) card accounts xxxxxxxxxxxx, Frasercard and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Debenhams Card ("the Accounts") with the Defendant which was open for a number of years.

2. The Claimant wrote to the Defendant and made a Subject Access Request under Section 7 of the Data protection Act 1988 on the 10th August 2006 requesting a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with the Defendant. The maximum statutory fee of £10.00 was enclosed in the form of a cheque drawn in favour of the Defendant

3. The Defendant supplied partial account data for the period covering various periods. However, the statements are incomplete and the Defendant confirms that the Data is incomplete.

4. Despite supplementary written requests to the Defendant requesting confirmation of the transactions and charges on the whole of the Account history, the defendant has alleged it does not hold data for more than 5 years and refuses to supply the data it holds on the Claimant.

The Claimant contends that :

a. The Defendant holds data relevant to the Claimant which it has failed to provide under Section 7 of the Data protection Act 1988.

b. The defendant has tried to mislead the Claimant by referring to statutory obligations to hold or destroy data which do not preclude the Defendant from holding data the Claimant has requested.

c. The defendant has also repeatedly referred to a request for statements and the Claimant has not asked for statements but transactional information for the history of the account.

Glenn , Claimant

Vs

GE Money, Defendant

In Basildon County Court

Accordingly the Claimant requests that:

i. The Court orders that all data held by the Defendant on a relevant filing system is supplied to the Claimant forthwith; or

ii. Provide a statement setting out the following information:

a)When the account was opened; and

b) If they hold data but I am not entitled to it and if so by what reason, or

c) If they do not hold data and it has been destroyed, when and why it was

destroyed, and

d) The Defendant is to provide a copy of the Corporate policy detailing the destruction of records.

iii. The claimant is awarded his costs for bringing this matter before the courts

I used a very similar particualrs of claim for the Co-op and it got me data over nine years old and a statements saying they had no more so icounted that as a win, hoping this does a similar job.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn,

I am dealing with a few store cards from GE capital and had letters today for them saying they can only hold data for 5 years etc. The one account only goes from June 01 and I want to get my LBA off (already sent prelim but also asked for remaining statements in that letter) they have said they will credit my acc which I will refuse as Im claiming CCI. Do you know if I can estimate the previous charges (i.e. 1 every month from Jan 01) and put that in my prelim or should I make a complaint first. Just wondered the best way to go about it as I want to crack on with this to get the money back as Im on maternity leave and could do with the money sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Has anyone else been charged payment protection even after the account has been passed to debt collecters and payment agreed?

My daughter has just found out (because she hadn't got any statements from them) that GE Capital via Debenhams and New Look and Miss Selfridge have been charging her payment protection.

I have just found on the internet that the FSA have fined GE Capital Bank £610,000 for mal practice with PPI and am considering how best to try to claim from GE - any suggestions?

Also does anyone know who a River Island account would have been with - would that be GE too?

Personally i would issue a claim for non-compliance under sec 7 re failure to provide the data.

The statement re the five years is cobblers as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't estimate charges or at least not a larger proportion of my claim, in my opinion its likely to end up falling flat on its face in court should it get that far.

You have to prepare as if you're going to court anything else could cause you more grief than you want.

Re getting your money back sooner rather than later, don't spend it until you've got it, and make sure you don't rely on it turning up soon.

My claim against abbey went on since July last year and its not finished yet

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I am dealing with a few store cards from GE capital and had letters today for them saying they can only hold data for 5 years etc. The one account only goes from June 01 and I want to get my LBA off (already sent prelim but also asked for remaining statements in that letter) they have said they will credit my acc which I will refuse as Im claiming CCI. Do you know if I can estimate the previous charges (i.e. 1 every month from Jan 01) and put that in my prelim or should I make a complaint first. Just wondered the best way to go about it as I want to crack on with this to get the money back as Im on maternity leave and could do with the money sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for replying Glenn. I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that I have asked them twice and it is clear they dont have them. So even if it went to court, they would still not be able to provide them so then what do we do?. Do you know any requests that have got to court as it would be interesting to see what happened?

Surely, if we made estimates it would be up to them to prove they didn't charge us for those periods.

I have seen a few threads where they complained to the I C and they only agreed they breached section 6 as they didnt provide it within the time limit.

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Thanks for replying Glenn. I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that I have asked them twice and it is clear they dont have them.I dont agree, it means they are telling you they dont have somehting which probalby inst actually what you have asked for. They use clever words but dont actually confrim they have detroyed your data. They may have done so, the Co-op told me they didnt have dat more than six years old and then when faced with a claim produced data over 9 years old. So even if it went to court, they would still not be able to provide them so then what do we do?. Do you know any requests that have got to court as it would be interesting to see what happened?

Surely, if we made estimates it would be up to them to prove they didn't charge us for those periods. No it doesnt work like that, youre the claimant you have to prove your claim.

I have seen a few threads where they complained to the I C and they only agreed they breached section 6 as they didnt provide it within the time limit.

The ICO are a nice bunch of individuals but not much else im afraid.

JMHO

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Now why didn't I think of that? Send off LBA for my 2 accounts with GE Money? Thanks Glen. With my Debenhams account I have a ccj in place. Stupid question (this is me) but claiming my charges back will not have any effect will it? I am assuming when this is paid off I simply pay my £35 to have this ccj reversed/set aside or whatever the legal term is. Need to read more but I am assuming I can claim compounded contractual on store cards. Thanks, Sally

We claimed compound contractual interest on the charges in out claim against GE Money (Burtons Card). They have actually paid (ie sent a cheque) the charegs but are being a bit difficult about paying up the interest. We filed out N1 in the County Court for the interest last Tuesday - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-559870.html

Steven

• 2 months later...

Hi Glenn,

Just wondered what the update on this was as you were filing to court.

I have complained to the ICO and are awaiting their outcome before I decide what to do next.

Cheers

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

GE Capital

Hi Red

Well because i have had dealings with GE over my earlier claim, i have been speaking direct to their solicitors, Salans.

I have also had a letter form the ICO confirming that they, GE that is, have breached the 3rd and 7th principles and i can claim for damages.

I have asked Salans to ask their client to make me an offer of settlement bearing in mind the ICOs view.

Ill keep you posted and when i get time ill post the letter from the ICO in a new thread hopefully to encourage others to complain/sue for damages.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks for the quick response Glenn. So I presume you never filed to court in the end then?

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

GE Capital

lol not yet, i still have the option if they fail to settle, then i will file for the carges plus non complaince and damages under sec 13 DPA.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

ok thanks. I dont suppose you know anyone else that has filed to court along these lines do you?

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

GE Capital

Not yet, i did take the co-op to court for non complaince but not damages they produced my data after that.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA