working Tax credits mistake, but they are going to fine me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been getting WTC and DLA (the lowest) for about 6/7 years now. I filled in my renewal form, and accidently filled in 1600 a year, instead of 16000, all those little boxes, but I left the last box before the decimal point empty, as I thought as I had paid over 1700 in tax on it, they wouldn't assume that my salary had dropped by 15000. Got the award details today, after sending all my payslips and P60 to Compliance officer. They are going to pay me over 400 a month. I had already explained when I sent my documents, that I had only filled in an estimate. Tried phoning the helpline, couldn't get through. Worried myself sick all night, rang this morning to the number on the Compliance Officer's letter, got through said I didn't want that money, as I wasn't entitled to it, and it was all a mistake of the person that input my details. Got a recorded letter at lunchtime to say that I ws not only incorrect but negligent in filling in the form, and they will let me know how much the penalty will be. I am on the breadline at the moment, and have written a letter to them, explaining yet again how the mistake was made.

Can they still fine me?:(

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

it is unlikely you will be fined if all you did was miss a zero from the form.

when you say it was the fault of the person inputtng your details did you complete your renewal by phone or post? if by post the forms are scanned by computer and will just take whatever figure you enter as being the true figure.

i would expect that as you have called to correct the information as soon as you were aware of the error they are unlikely to take any further action.

thanks, but I will think again, before I think that surely someone will look at it, and realise that my income did not drop by 15000. Was very frightened by the tone of the letter.:eek: thanks again,

I filled it in my application by post.

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

• 2 years later...

I know they base my payments on the year befores salary, but I have been off a year in total with PTSD, am hoping to return in December. I am appealing an ESA decision, and I also receive the lowest rate of DLA.

Would I be entitled to tax credits to help me, as I have only had SSP and OSP, which isn't very much, and I will only receive a big tax credit next year, when I won't need it so much.

Any advice?

LilythePink

• 6 months later...

I moved banks, because of the charges and when I was on benefits last year, they would not refund the charges.

However I used to get WTC, but I reported to them in April that I had only earned about three quarters of what I had been earning, because of illness.

They paid me a good lump sum of money, and I have discovered that it has been paid into the old a/c, which I can't get it out of, because I am in dispute with them about the overdraft and charges, and have been discussing this with them.

Can HMRC request this money back, I phoned them and gave them my new banking details, but they said to get in touch with your old bank and make sure they are not using it to pay off an overdraft.

I have done this, but I wonder will I ever see the money I am owed in my new bank account.

LilythePink

Can HMRC get my tax credits, which were paid into an old account, that I am in negotiations with, paying back an overdraft.

Should I write a letter of appropriation, or let the tax office do it? HMRC said that Nationwide are not allowed to use my benefit to pay an overdraft off. Who do I contact, and say what?

LilythePink

When benefits are paid into a bank account they're not benefits anymore it becomes funds. They're not doing anything illegal just very immoral but when have they ever had customers interests at heart?

You can only hope they might refund you as a goodwill gesture as they're under no obligation to do so. Write to the customer service manager at the bank, that's all i can suggest or set up a generous repayment plan so they'll release your account, get another account and move your cash and then tell them you cant afford the original repayments and offer a £1 a week or something x

scotgal 

The tax office is going to recover it, hopefully they will take heed of them, but somehow I doubt it. This morning I am going to do a letter of appropriation, as it is a benefit, and by law they can't take it, or so the tax office says.

Your idea sounds great, a bit sneaky, but then who cares, as I am just a small fry among a great big pond of other poor people, who are in debt.

thanks

LilythePink

• 2 weeks later...

Nationwide are charging me on my WTC, taking the charges out of the benefit. Letter of appropriation was sent by recorded delivery and twice by email, and no answer yet. Any suggestions, they just will not listen, even though I told them, that if I got the WTC back, I would be able to pay some of my mortgage arrears back, and be in a better position to pay them back.

LilythePink

Response by email from Nationwide, they want me to fill in a means form, which I did last month, and sent it to them. I also wrote to my tax office to ask what the situation was, as I know this country has completely changed, and banks are still screwing the life out of people. Surely the government can't let a bank take any benefit that you are legitimately obtaining.

LilythePink

Make a complaint under BCOBS as the bank are obviously not treating you fairly at all. Also look into a letter of appropriation. This locks down money for what you state in your letter. Not even the bank can touch that money once it's been allocated.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Problem is that they are taking no notice of the letter, and are banging on all these charges. I did not know that these WTC would be going into my old a/c, and HMRC never notified me, until it had actually been paid in.

I have quoted the BCOBS to them, do you know which bit I could quote, as it is a very big document.

LilythePink

Letter of appropriation done and sent four times, by post and email. I/E done twice and sent to them by email. Emailed the CEO no answer, sent it again, no answer. Went to stepchange, they said it is definitely wrong for the Nationwide to keep my WTC, so I have told them this, so what do they do, they mark on my credit report that I have missed one payment of what, they haven't made an arrangement with me. And if I pay anything to try and get the overdraft down, they snap it up with charges.

After an email to Santander, they have agreed to capitalise my mortgage arrears, so hopefully that will work out.

LilythePink

Iilly I think it's disgusting the way the bank has treated you, I would complain but I don't know who to, maybe the FOS? all those letters you've sent falling on deaf ears must warrant sort of retribution- either apology/ monetary or both x

I would ask the CRA to correct that late payment entry x

scotgal 

I have just sent a complaint or email of complaint to FOS, fingers crossed. It is degusting the way they treat people, hold onto my money, which I am entitled to, and charge away every month, I could go on and on, but I will take them to court if they don't give me that money in the next week. Sick and tired of their games.

I will be correcting that late payment, as there was no arrangement for me to pay, and anyway they got well over a thousand from my wtc.

emailed the ceo but no answer, maybe if I write a letter, but the last time the PO lost it, no apology there either. I sent it recorded, might as well just asked for proof of postage.

Thanks for you support x

LilythePink

Any advice, can I take these nats to the small claims court, as they are just ignoring me......

This has now become very urgent, as I am about to explode with anger against Nationwide. Has anyone ever done this?

LilythePink

No answer from Nationwide yet, and they are still adding charges. I have emailed a national newspaper, who seem to be interested.... Is this the only way to go?

Also I read somewhere that HMRC has a letter that they send to banks, saying that they cannot keep your WTC. Anyone know anything about this?

Is it worth going to my MP?

LilythePink

Urgent reply needed. Got a reply from the Nationwide from an email I sent four time to the CEO. They say I haven't contacted them, I have the emails about 40 of them. They will not give me my WTC back and they are still going to charge me, unless I fill in my expenses form, including my sister's expenditure. She has nothing to do with me, except pay half the bills. They also want me to agree to pay in £50 a month, and they will give me access to my WTC

The truth is I don't trust them one bit, and if I only put in £50, the charges are over £350 for the last 6 months of last year, whenever they took my ESA. They are breaking the law, and saying that they will let me have access to my own benefit, after they have ripped me off there will be nothing left. I am in tears I am so frustrated with them. I want to get a reply back to them as soon as I can. HELP

LilythePink

• 5 months later...

I have been in the same job for the last 12 years, but have just got a letter from the tax office to say, they know I have another job, pension ESA payments, and they are changing my tax code, so that I cannot get the full allowance in my only job.

I tried that phone number, but could not get through.

I have one job, and no ESA/pension or anything else.

Advice please?

LilythePink

I think you just have to keep trying to speak to them - they've obviously mixed you up with someone else.

HMRC once added all my ex's income to my son's tax code despite them having different first names, initials, date of birth (obviously!), NI number, address and employer. It did take a couple of phone calls to sort out, but they did sort it fairly quickly.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

thanks, I will keep trying, but it is so annoying, whenever other things in your life, are going on. Pain the neck. but I know it will sort out eventually, just like the student loan that I had overpaid by about £200

LilythePink

When dealing with an entity the size of HMRC I always try to keep in mind that with the number of people and companies they have to deal with, it's inevitable that a few mistakes will be made and it's just bad luck that I happen to be on the receiving end at the worst possible moment. Doesn't always work, but it generally ensures a certain level of politeness that I might find difficult otherwise!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.