• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Carter/EGG Claim Form **DISCONTINUED**

vic synex
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had a trawl through the board but I cant seem to find a difinitive answer.

If a lender sends a default notice and the sum of the default includes, but is not entirely penalty charges, does this render it invalid?

TIA ;-)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a lender sends a default notice and the sum of the default includes, but is not entirely penalty charges, does this render it invalid?

If a significant ammount, other wise a court could regard it as de minimus.

One or two charges on say a default of £300 -£400 probably would not derail it.

David

If a significant ammount, other wise a court could regard it as de minimus.

One or two charges on say a default of £300 -£400 probably would not derail it.

David

the length of the debt could also influence matters as if the balance on which they have been charging interest is inflated over the years with unlawful charges then the very basis on which they have calculated what is due and therefore the arrears could make the variation substantial

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, just sorting my paperwork out regarding a Barclaycard account which was originally Liverpool Victoria then Goldfish and now Barclaycard.

I sent a CCA request in April and just got their current T&Cs in response. Whilst this account was in default of my request, they passed the debt to Mercers who issued a Default Notice.

My question is does the DN have to come from the OC or at least have the OC's address on it? I know Mercers are Barclaycard in disguise but the account is now being dealt with by Credit Solutions who have no grasp of CCA legislation at all!

no they can issue a default themselves.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No worries there then!

On 2 B/card accounts I have, they have issued a total of 8 default notices. Not a single one complies with the law.

David

In which way do they not comply, if you don't mind me asking?

Mine seem pretty kosher :-x

I've never received a DN from any of my 6 BC related ones, so I have no idea if they are legit or not.

all I know is I have a total of 6 defaults on my records, linked back to 2 cards (one barclaycard, one monument) which since Aug 2007 have been in dispute due to no CCA (defaults dated 2005), accounts due to be statue barred Dec 2010

In which way do they not comply, if you don't mind me asking?

Blimey, long story.

All of them have a least 2 flaws, one has 5.

Post them up (removing any identifying details, references etc) and we'll have a look.

David

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1910254.html

Originally Posted by 42man

quote the following from Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

SCHEDULE 2

FORM OF DEFAULT NOTICE BEFORE A CREDITOR OR OWNER CAN BECOME ENTITLED, BY REASON OF ANY BREACH BY THE

DEBTOR OR HIRER OF A REGULATED AGREEEMENT, TO TERMINATE THE AGREEMENT, DEMAND EARLIER PAYMENT OF ANY

SUM, RECOVER POSSESSION OF ANY GOODS OR LAND, TREAT ANY RIGHT CONFERRED ON THE DEBTOR OR HIRER BY THE

AGREEMENT AS TERMINATED, RESTRICTED OR DEFERRED OR ENFORCE ANY SECURITY

Regulation 2(2)

Details of agreement

1 A description of the agreement sufficient to identify it.

Parties to agreement

2 (1) The name and a postal address of the creditor or owner.

(2) The name and postal address of the debtor or hirer.

Details of breach of agreement and action required to remedy, or pay compensation for, the breach

3 A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach andthe date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid. relevant case law is this too...

DEFAULT NOTICE

The Need for a Default notice

Notwithstanding the above, it is also drawn to the courts attention that no default notice required by s87 (1) Consumer Credit act 1974 has been attached to the petition.

It is denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant

Notwithstanding the above points, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

Service of a default notice is a statutory requirement as laid out in sections 87,88 and 89 Consumer Credit Act 1974. Section 87 makes it clear that a default notice must be served before a creditor can seek to terminate the agreement or demand repayment of sums due to a breach of the agreement. therefore without a valid default notice, I suggest the claimants case falls flat and cannot proceed and to do so is clearly contrary to the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

The default notice above does not appear to be in the correct format. How was it delivered to you ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It was sent first class but i didn't receive it until Monday 16 March :rolleyes:

Ok, they must give 14 days + you can take 2 days for 1st class post (excluding Sat 14th & Sun 15th March which in this case they forgot to allow for).

So:

1) The 29th March only gave you 13 days to rectify the breach. It's Invalid full stop.

Also:

2) The regs specify the statements shown on the notice and must be exact.

They do not include (or a surety).

3) Mercer give their own address. The regs demand that they give the name and address of the creditor, which is Barclays Plc and that is not Mercers.

4) Possible - They have defaulted you for a low arrears figure. Have you got a significant ammount of unlawful charges, (late payment , over limit etc.) If so that would give them a problem as well.

On the last, 2 of mine are an extreme case in that the unlawful charges were more than the arrears demanded. A significant ammount will give a problem though.

They did well with that one then!!

I am sure others can pick more holes in it.

David

Parties to agreement

2 (1) The name and a postal address of the creditor or owner.

(2) The name and postal address of the debtor or hirer.

This is another reason why the Mercers DNs fail - they don't have the B-Card name & Postal address.

From this, and taking things completely literally, one could argue that unless Mercers have bought the debt (they are a dormant company... but are part of Barclays) then they should not be issuing a Default Notice and have no cause to.

Now, if it had been sold to Mercers, Barclays would have had to have sent you a Notice of Assignment. Also, they would not have been able to furnish a credit account (They are debt collectors and are a dormant company), so Barcclays would have terminated (Without issuing a Default Notice) in selling to Mercers.

H

• 8 months later...

Guys, I recieved a letter from Carter yesterday dated 26 May but with a postmark of 28 May, advising me I would recieve a claim form within the next 48 hours. This claim form arrived today dated 27 May.

The debt is an Egg credit card taken out about 2002. I'd been paying it quite happily until they doubled the interest overnight. Having made every payment on time and never going over my limit I was slightly miffed by this and sent a S78 request for my CCA to read the small print.

Obviously Egg being Egg sent the request into default by asking for signatures etc, etc. Whilst in default I suspended payments until such time a copy of the agreement arrived. When it did arrive it was the bog standard CCA, with the limit wording as per test case (this Friday, I think).

I wrote to them explaing the defficiencies of their agreement and their reply was a letter stating they had terminated the account and it would now be passed to a DCA. I, to date, have recieved no Default Notice!

A few species of pond life have been in touch but normally disappear after being told about the unlawful recission.

This from Carter being the latest, can I ask you guys for some advice on what I should do now?

Many thanks in advance.

Can you put up what his Particulars of claim are ? (Poc)

What is he relying on ? as this is where he falls on his back side :)

No defualt notice, like to know how they terminated the account then.

BC is pretty easy to send packing, Send EVERYTHING to them SPECIAL DELIVERY, or they will say they did not get them !

:)

POC as follows;

THE CLAIMANT'S CLAIM IS FOR THE BALANCE DUE UNDER AN AGREEMENT WHICH IS NOW ALL DUE AND PAYABLE.

THE DEFENDANT AGREED TO PAY MONTHLY INSTALMENTS UNDER ACCOUNT NUMBER**************** BUT HAS FAILED TO DO SO.

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS THE SUM OF £****.**

THE CLAIMANT ALSO CLAIMS INTEREST THEREON PURSUANT TO S.69 COUNTY COURT ACT 1984 LIMITED TO ONE YEAR TO THE DATE HEREOF AT THE RATE OF 8% PER ANNUM AMOUNTING TO 0.00

Edited by vic synex

ok, you have got a nice open & shut case, no matter what happens this Friday.

Without a DN all they are entitled to demand are the legitimate arrears (i.e. missed payments etc less any unlawful charges & interest)

You need to send an Acknowledgement of Service in within 14 days.

I would SAR Egg ASAP - it will be a useful £10 spent.

Get that off and then the next step will be a CPR request to Mr Carter.

You cannot use a CPR31.14 or CPR18 as there are no documents referred to. However I have used a CPR 31.12 in the past to very good effect.

I will dig it out for you to get off the BC.

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Much appreciated, starting to get a bit worried by this :confused:

I wouldnt worry their POC appears to be really wishy washy, they havent related it to anything!

Did you go down the Trevor Munn route with EGG before this "Carter" character got involved?

My Posts exist exclusively to assist me in preparing litigation against another party.

As such, it is almost certainly protected by litigation privilege.

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute.

Communication between a solicitor, or the client, or a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominent purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting litigation in prospect: Re: "Highgate Traders Limited (1984)"BCLC 151.

Copyright Information: All information contained in this website , Associated websites, and Forum posts are Copyright "Reclaim The Right Ltd". If you wish to use the information on this site for publication elsewhere then please email the administrator for permission.