Statutory Sick Pay problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife was off sick for 6 weeks and then returned to workbut only managed to work three days before being put on the sick again. At present I am on ESA waiting for ATOS medical but seems unlikely I will be able to return to the workplace on a full time basis.

For last week the company paid her the three days at normal rate and then paid her the Statutory Sick Pay of £79.15 instead of pro rata for two days only. As we only got her wage slip today we had no idea how they had calculated her wages last week.

Our concern is that they will probably realise their mistake and deduct the 3 days extra SSP next week and this will be taken from her SSP payment of £79.15 less her pension of £25 per week leaving us with £7 to live on for the rest of the week. She is paid a week in arrears.

We have no objection to them recovering their money, but if they do it all in one go we have a very real problem. Is there anything we can do?

Hi Surfer01

You can always speak to the employer and see if they will permit you to pay back the overpayment in smaller chunks to help you out. However, from their point of view, they may decide that as you have been overpaid this week, you have more money than you should have been expecting, therefore you should save the "over payment' for next week when you will be short.

Good Luck

CB500

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.

Hi Surfer,

it is generally advisable for employers to agree a timetable of repayments and not deduct more than a reaonable portion from an employees pay packet.

:D Actions in progress

Natw West on hold pending test case

LLoyds claim 3 on hold pending test case,

:lol:Claims Settled

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

o-op visa WON, capital one visa WON,

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

Hmmm. Cannot save much out of £144 for the next week. Don't forget that the money is paid into our account by BACs on Friday but we only got the wage slip today which is when we picked up the error.

My wife has already contacted them and pointed out the error of their ways but they can only let her know tomorrow. the most annoying thing is that my wife has been off work since end of March and in that time only 4 of a her payslips have been correct. This makes it very hard to budget as olne week you get £20 more and then it gets dedcuted two or three weeks later although there did not appear to be anything wrong in the first place.

She is still waiting for them to sort out payment for the bank holidays when she should have had a normal day's pay with the SSP being reduced.

This also pays merry hell with our benefits paymenst and every two weeks we have to do a 28 mile round trip to give the wage slips to the benefits agency who then average it out.

Although the highest gross wagew has been £180 the council are using an average figure of £220 weekly earned income which is putting us at a disadvantage. also means it is making it difficult for me to go onto Pension credit.

Please dont get me wrong, I sympathise with your situation, at the minute things are very difficult for me financially.

I was just trying to present the argument that they may use. If they are a decent employer, they will work with you to try and resolve the problems.

Good luck!!

CB500

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.