• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Northern Rock are Laughing at my claim? (Not anymore) *WON*

Maximus69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

been away on biz last week and did not want to rush my response letter. Anyhow sent my letter off today which was a copy of Zoot's letter amended slightly with the tail end copied off the LBA template letter. Except this time I have said it is my final letter before making a claim in court and have only given them 7 days to respond.

I have also sent it recorded delivery so one of the bankers have to sign for it and i have a tracking facility on the Royal Mail website so i can see exactly what day and time it was signed for.

I will keep you guys posted as soon as i have a reply.

Cheers ;)

Ned.

Miss Pickles suggested it:o . Because they have already had 14 days with the first LBA i sent them and I thought it will show them i am serious?

Plus LM sarcastic replies have started to boil my pias!!

I reckon she is a sad old carpet muncher.

Letter back today saying it has been passed over to their legals as usual. Expecting another sarcastic response. Am already researching how to fill in my Money Claim form etc.

Keep you posted.

Cheers

Ned.

Hi guys,

well as expected, I got a reply back from N/Rock today. Here is the main parts of it.

NR does not consider insufficient funds in your account to constitute a breach of contract. The T&C's envisage that your c/account may be in 1 of 3 states; in credit;in an authorised overdraft or an unauthorised position. Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd(1915) clearly stipulates that the ? as to whether a charge is a penalty is to be decided on the terms of each contract. In moving to a position of unauthorised overdraft your c/a is still within a position envisaged by the T&C's. Accordingly, you are not in breach of contract and therefore the issue of damages for breach does not arise. As a matter of law, the courts will only find that a contractual term represents a penalty where, on breach of contract , that term provides for a measure of damages that is not considered to represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Further, there can be no suggestion that the charges represent an unfair term under the Unfair Terms In Consumers Contracts Regulations 1999("the Regulations"). You should be aware that the regulation 6(2) sets out that they do not apply to core terms of the contract and nor do they apply to the adequacy of the bargain between the parties to a contract. The charges for services provided under your c/a go to the heart of the contract between N/R plc and yourselfand in addition, very clearly go to the adequacy of the bargain between it and you. For these reasons, in accordance with regulation 6(2), the Regulations are not applicable to the charges applied to your c/a and those charges are not unfair terms.

In addition, as previously stated in our previous letters, if your request is intended to represent a Data Subject Access Request under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1988, please send your request in writing and a cheque for £10. ( I am not aware that i have requested this in the template letters, have I?)

With regard to the threat of court proceedings, N/R plc looks forward to receiving your substantive response to the issues raised in its previous letters. N/R plc does not consider that your letters (template ones by the way) disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against it, and nor, if such a claim were issue, that it would have any prospect of success.

In light of having to restate the legal position, it is strongly recommended that you seek independent legal advice if you are unsure as to the meaning of any of the above.

Are they not just repeating much the same mumbo jumbo as last time? What now, do I slap a Money Claim form on them or what? Or do I have to reply to them a 5th time. I think they are just taking the peeece out of me/

Words of advice would be greatly appreciated guys!!

Phew, I need a drink.

Cheers

Ned.

So theyre not penalty charges.They must be charges for a service,read elswere on here that they should be a fair and reasonable mark up for a high street business.that means 100% or so?Their is a proper letter with this in,i had saved it all but have had a disaster and lost most of my saved goodies which i was going to use against Lloyds so i,l have to start again???

have a look

john r

Are they not just repeating much the same mumbo jumbo as last time?[

Yes

do I slap a Money Claim form on them or what?

Absolutely

Or do I have to reply to them a 5th time.

No you've waited far too long

I think they are just taking the peeece out of me/

No they are just taking the peeece full stop.

Whack a money claim on and let them explain to the court that you have not breached your contract. It'll be worth the court fee just for the entertainment. But really there is no way they would put that argument in a court of law.

All the best

Zoot

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

after getting a reply back from another member today to confirm the BANKERS defended and then settled in full days later, I have submitted my claim on line some 5 mins ago.

What if they settle in full, can I refuse it and state I want my day in court to have my case heard and hopefully publicly shame the bankers? From all the threads and FAQS etc, it seems the banks do not have a case at all, hence them settling before the court date on every occasion?

I am looking for opinions here guys, what do you think. Should i just take the money and run or make a stand and shame the bankers in public? Or will this spoil it for future claimants? Because I would not want to do that.

Cheers

Ned

Agree with zootscoot and welshman you are obliged to take settlement if offered and it will be usually right on the mark of what you are claiming or more...

You can write to Ms Marjorie Wilson @The Office Of Fair Trading.2-6 Salisbury Way.London.(don,t know the postcode!) to tell them of the shoddy way you have been treated by your bank AND their is a letter in templates for your M.P.

john r

Thanks John,

I was thinking about writing into NR after they have settled in full. I was going to complain about their general attitude and treatment over the years, bearing in mind i was employed by them for 3 years.

I was also going to ask them what form of compensation they were prepared to offer in light of the above? After all i am so incensed at their treatment that I have got the main local newspaper here in sunny Newcastle interested in my story. After my settlement of course. What do you think? Or should i just let them off the hook?

Cheers

Ned

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

well here is the latest update on my case against N/Rock.

Notice served on them on 18/10/06.

Acknowledged on 20/10/06.

Defending all of claim. Peter Ashcroft instructed as defendant's solicitor.

Bankers have 28 days from date of claim. Hope they don't settle so I can have my day in court. They have not got a leg to stand on and will be laughed out of court. :rolleyes:

Either way, I look forward to getting my money back one way or the other.

Catch u guys later!!

Cheers

Ned

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

yes i have, just been to busy to update the forum. Will do it at the weekend when i can share the good news with everybody. NR sent me a check for the full claim of over £3k including my £120 court fee as well as daily interest right up until the day the cheques was issued.

They gave the reason as " for commercial expediency and without admission of liability blah blah blah".

There 28 day deadline was 16/11 and i got the cheque on the 13/11.

Easy peesy, oh and by the way i claimed all charges for all overdraft and d/d charges, never mind working out which ones were legit and which ones weren,t?

Just go for it, they always pay up. They will acknowledge your claim saying they intend to defent the full claim. This then buys the the 28 days before they roll over.

PS.

There was a court case in Southend the other week and the judge ruled in the favour of the client against both banks, Lloyds TSB and Barclays I think. So even the courts on our side. SO go for it and rip their bol>>>ks off!!

Good Luck.

Cheers

Ned.

Hi Miss P.

Basically I wrote in and requested 6 years charges applied to my current account. They sent these out and they came to nearly £3000. I then wrote to them claiming a full refund as the charges applied were deemed as unfair and unlawful.

They then replied denying that the charges applied were unlawful, unfair or represented a penalty. Under there T&C's they supply services to me and apply charges and interest in return for these services. I had signed to say that I had read and understood these T&C's.

There are 3 states of position of my account, in credit,authorised and un-authorised overdraft situations. They say my account is still envisaged as being in a position within the T&C's and therefore not in breach. Then they claim under law, a penalty where there is a breach of contract and the measure of damages is not considered to represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss. In summary, the charges are for services provided.

I then sent a 3/4 LBA template letter. They replied with the folllowing;

It appears from your letter that you have failed to grasp or chosen to ignore the key legal issues in relation to charges for services provided etc.

Charges on current accounts are for services provided and are not default charges.

In law, for a clause to be deemed a penalty clause, it has to operate due to a breach of contract.

The current account charges are entirely lawful, they are not an illegal penalty and nor are they unfair or unenforceable.

Northern Rock looks forward to to receiving your substantive response to the legal points raised in this letter and the other letters.We do not consider that your letters disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against it, nor if such a claim were issued, that it would have any prospect of success.

What I need to be sure of from this point, is what kind of response to i reply with. As suggested, maybe an exact copy of the LBA template letter or do i need to respond to their queries they have raised.

HELP. :?

Cheers

Malcolm

Sorry to enter this thread late but I've just had that same letter from NR.

I love this bit about their T&C's envisaging your being in "three states of existence", or whatever they decide to call it and that you are never in breach. It's just total tosh. The copy of the T&C's they have sent me clearly states "You must kep your account in credit or within any agreed overdraft". It simply could not be any clearer than that. Therefore if you don't stay within your OD you are in breach. End of story. They even say in the very next sentence, "Should we allow your account to become overdrawn above any agreed limit this does not constitute agreement to a new limit". If they haven't agreed to something then you can only be in breach.

P.

Northern Rock; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered. Recieved details of 6 yrs charges on 8th. Wrote back asking whether or not they hold information going back further than that.

MBNA; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06

Barclays; S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request sent 11/8/06 - Del 14/8/06

Diners Club; S.A.R sent 11/8/06 - Delivered 14/8/06. Recieved form to fill and return with fee on 17/8/06. Sent form back, delivered 4/9/06.

Intelligent Finance; Prelim letter emailed 16/08/06, claiming £318. Email recieved from "Anne-Marie" 17/8/06 saying my email has been passed to Customer Relations dept. Fob-off letter received 23/8/06, letter sent in return same day - Delivered 24/8/6 Recieved letter offer 25% settelement - refused - LBA sent. MCOL on 10th revcieved notification that they intend to defend on 13th. 06/9/2006 WON!!!!!!