Does new employer have to honour holidays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just been offered a part time job at a care home..The interview was very quick and whilst we touched on my having a son in oz ,holidays wernt mentioned...

This is the first year he has been over there and he promised when he left he would buy me a ticket every year..:)

its for 8 weeks over christmas and new year... I told my daughter about the job offer and she said to tell the care home about my booked holiday and they should honour it..

I have to take my paperwork for CRB check into them on Wednesday so i have emailed them today and mentioned that i have a holiday booked... with the dates etc

I know its a long holiday but its a long way.Do you think they will withdraw the offer of work?

Tilly

They don't have to honour it unless they have agreed out the outset. Some companies have a policy of no holidays longer than 2 weeks in one go without prior arrangement / consent.

You really should tell them of your prior arrangement and let them decide how to handle it.

Best be clear upfront

This will be given in your contract. The thing is that the employer does not have to allow 2 months with paid leave. They can use whaever holidays you have entitled and the remainder as unpaid leave.

However, before you start working or as soon as possible, you should notify them that you have 8 weeks holiday over christmas and that it has been booked and paid for. This will cause a problem if it will be a regular occurance as emplyers dont like people having long holidays.

My job only allows 2 weeks at a time unless it is for a good reason. Saying that though, my employers are hardened business men.

Thanks for reading..

PMSC69

My job only allows 2 weeks at a time unless it is for a good reason. Saying that though, my employers are hardened business men.

Aren't most business owners.!! You have to be these days. There are very practical reasons for most decisions.

I had to impose ban on holiday periods for certain times of the year Mid Feb to Easter (March or April) Mid Sept to Mid Nov. The odd day off was not a problem subject to work loads during these periods.

Also we had a clause that said three days of your holiday entitlement must be reserved for the the three days between Christmas and new year when the company did not operate apart from emergency cover.

It is best to get these clear and up front. These were all detailed at interview stage and in the offer letter along with the mains terms and conditions of employment.