Tenancy Signed & House not "Fit for Purpose"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

My situation is very similar to that of Wiosna30 in that on we signed ( and paid deposit + 1 month rent ) ant the letting agent late on Friday. We went on Saturday to check all ok however to our horror it was not as expected. We viewed the property twice and all appeared well and previous tenant seemed resonable. However when we viewed on Sat AM, all was not well & wife was in tears.

I therefore spent 4 hours there yesterday noting all faults etc. A professional inventory was carried out with a number of observations and recommendations however non carried out. One of the immediate observations was that there were no longer any curtain poles, the house was in dire need of redecoration and no cleaning had been done.

I am attaching a letter which I've written to the agent however really need to have some expert advice on this matter.

We are due to move out of current property on Friday as current LL selling property however we cannot move into the property in its current state, especially with two young children - It needs a good couple of 000s spending on it not withstanding the fact we can't put up any curtains.

I would be grateful for someone to advise me of my rights here bearing in mind we have paid over £2k in deposit, rent and handling fees.

I intend to speak to CAB tomorrow but meantime want to get this letter off to the Letting Agent today by e-mail if possible.

I appreciate a lot to read but hoping for your informed responses soonest ( and will also help Wiosna30)

Many thanks in anticipation

Trojan

CAG - Ltr 1.doc

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

From what I understand, there isn't a 'cooling off' period.

How did you pay? If it's by cheque you can cancel the cheque, but tell the letting agent that the property is in a mess and explain thats why you want to cancel the agreement. You need to be firm. Most of these letting agents belong to a regulatory body.

What is a Tenancy Agreement?

I'm not an expert in this field.

Apologies, just noticed Wiosna30's was a duplicate post any have read the comments on the original.

I would be grateful if comment could be made in respect of my letter.

FYI - Monies paid by Bank Draft for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

'The plastic brush edging also needs replaced' just stick 'to be replaced' other then that it's very good. Just tell them you want all those faults/problems resolved before you move in. Don't move in before they are rectified, tell them the alternative is to cancel the Tenancy Agreement and a full refund. Make sure you get the cancellation in writing.

• Haha 1

Thanks very much for you prompt response which I'm sure will be of assistance to others in a similar situation.

Hi,

Looks like my situation is a little better than Troyan. We spoke with the Landlord yesterday and she will fixed things like BT socket , window , carpet – the smell should disappear after few days – SHE PROMISSED but I am not sure. The problem is that we don’t have anything in writing just her word. We are giving her one week (we are moving on Friday) and if won’t be any effects I will send similar letter as yours to the Agency. I am worried as well because she is very nice old lady, this kind of people who will tell you what you want but I don’t know what will be after. She said that we can do basically what we want : if we want put shelf to the wall , hangers, curtains rod we can do without asking but will be after?

I am just waiting what will be next, someone is coming on this Wednesday to put back phone socket, another person to see the window.

Should I do the same inventory as Troyan - My inventory because her are not so particular? I have just things like :

Walls – good conditions

Washing machine – good

Dishwasher – excellent

Carpet – good

To be honest we don’t have too much choice because we need to leave out our old property on this Friday

Wiosna,

Do exactly the same as Trojan, but get her to sign the paperwork to insure the work gets done. It might be an idea to take some pictures, just incase you need to refer to them in the future.

Hi Rebel11,

I've now had a reply from the letting agent who effectively are washing their hands of the situation and referring me to the LL.

I've explained to them the issues in my letter however they just keep saying that "and repairs" etc are the LL's responsibility as the LL is the managing agent.

I've no idea on tenancy law however I would've thought that the Letting Agency was acting on behalf on the LL ( thus his agent ) and have responsibility to put right any problems.

My arguement is that I did not have an opportunity to challenge anything on the Inventory prior to signing the tenancy.

Does anyone know "in Law" if am I entitled to cancel this tenency on an "ad Initio" basis - if that's the right terminoligy for this sector of law !!

Thanks