Holiday and Ash Cloud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I work for a LLP in the UK and when the ash cloud erupted (the 1st time), I was on holiday abroad. My airline said that I could not get a flight back because everything was grounded until further notice.

When I did get back to work, I was called in and told that the extra days I had off (which were due to ash cloud) I would have to take as holiday.

My question is, are they allowed to deduct the time from my holidays and is there anything I can do to get it back?

If you were absent from work, for reasons other than illness or bereavement as outlined in your staff hand book, then yes, they can insist that you either use your holiday or flex time to make this up, or take it as unpaid.

Provided the employer has taken the same action with every employee, they have done nothing wrong.

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.

Taking it as holiday is better than taking it as unpaid leave. If you were an employer would you want to have to pay someone for not turning up? I know it wasn't your fault but it was not the employers either.

If the situation was reversed:-

If the employer had to close the business for a few days, for whatever reason, and said don't come in would you still expect to be paid? Rightly so, it's not your fault you cannot work.