rent deposit agreement.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, heres a breif outline about my problem;

i was living in a one bed flat as a single man.(after my divorce) i have three children from my marriage, and one after the other they left my ex wife and came to live with me.(two teenage girls and a 9 year old boy).i needed somewhere bigger to live, and approached the local council.they basically told me, they could not help me and that i should stay in private rent accomodation.after a long period of time arguing my case, they offered to help me with a rent deposit of 500 pounds.this was on the 13th oct 2003.since then i have managed to rebuild my life and have managed to be housed with my new partner and two babies.i also still have my eldest son with me.during this time (from 13th oct 2003 to date) i have forgotten about this rent deposit agreement.i have now recieved a claim form from my local court.to save time and the threat of any further action i have started to pay of this so called debt.(weekly) in the claim form they say they have sent me letters and an invoice, whitch i have never recieved as over the last 7 years i haved moved house 3 times as my family grew.i have contacted the local council and they say its not their fault i have not recieved the relavant docs over the years.i am wondering if this "debt" is statute barred and/or can be written of?

any help or advice is appreciated.

chubbs :grin:

hmmm no one about then?
This could be because your case seems hopelessly lost. Are we to understand that you had £500 deposit money for a flat and when you moved on from that flat you pocketed the money - and now you think you should be able to keep it? Round my area the council give the landlords a bond and it is made clear that it has to be returned to the council when the tenant leaves. I fail to be convinced that you forgot - sounds like a lame excuse to me.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

the money was never handed to me.

the landlord had it paid directly to him.

i have never had a copy of the rent deposit agreement.

when i moved from that property to a housing association property, i recieved no letters about the rent deposit.(i was never asked to return it) the only correspondance i have had is the court papers this last week.

i fail to understand your lame attempt at confrontational banter.

Interesting 3rd post :roll:

Chubba have you tried looking on the shelter website for advice?

Failing that google your local welfare rights/CAB office and ask them.

Someone here might know but that depends who's on really.