• Tweets

• Hi, I'd change justice centre to county court. I also wouldn't be including a telegraph article in the bundle. It doens't prove anything law and you don't have distribution rights on it. I also wouldn't personally break down the exhibits on the index page, normally people have a seperate page for this right before the exhibits. The main index page normally just says Exhibits to WX of [Your Name] or at least that's the format I use/see people here use, although really it makes minimal difference.   I also see that despite referencing several judgements you haven't included the EVRi one   paragraph 46 really needs to go imo it has nothing to do with anything. Your in court to apply the law to your case, not to tell the judge about a newspaper that means nothing to your claim.   I also see you've adopted the issues in dispute/not in dispute, which is also known as a scott schedule. if you are taking this approach, for things not in dispute I would say this needs to be things that are agreed between parties, not things like "There is no dispute that I am happy to supply all this evidence which is included in the court bundle." I would say that issues in dispute is to focus on the aspects of the claim that are in dispute, such as whether liability is limited by insurance or not, so I'd be changing that accordingly.   BF should be along shortly to advise on things.
    • J, I just numbered them like that; once the witness statement is made, I'll add it to the pages.   The court date has been set as 02 July 2024. Please find attached V6. I will send an unredacted to the email.  claim budle_V6.pdf
    • I'm afraid that I have tried downloading it three times and each time I am getting an error message. Would you mind scanning it again please and uploading it again. I understand that JK has managed to open it but others may not. Thanks
    • I can see that.   In this case, I'd email both that receipt and your tracking label to evri's small claims email and say that is the information you have.   They'll figure it out from there I'm sure
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord wont let wife live with me....please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am seeking some advice regarding some problems I am having with my landlord. I hope you can shed some light on the legality of all this.

My wife and I have been renting this 2 bedroom flat since July 2008 on a 6 monthly Assured Shorthold Tenancy in both our names. Every six months, we extend and renew the contract. The landlord used one of those standard tenancy agreements sold by WH Smith...so the small print is generic with no hidden clauses.

However, in November 2009 my wife and I started having some serious issues and were about to divorce. She moved out over Christmas. In January 2010, when it came to renew the contract, I was finding the rent difficult to cover on my own, so the landlord agreed to reduce the immediate rent by about 20% which I am to pay him back next year when I move closer to my university (I will be getting loans and grants and will have to work my posterior off over the summer holidays). I signed the normal AST, in my name only, reflecting the new rent and signed a separate statement agreeing to the arrangement of paying the landlord the deficit later.

However, over the last two months my wife and I attended some couples counselling and we have made a surprising amount of progress. Given this, I want her to move back in with me so we can give things another go. I am expecting to stay here till September 2010, when we will move closer to my new university. Herein lies the problem: the landlord does not agree.

I would like to know where I legally stand in this matter....can the landlord actually refuse my wife to live with me when there will be no statutory overcrowding as a result? I have asked him politely and he says that the flat is for me only and if I want to stay till September 2010, my wife cannot join me. He said I am welcome to leave in July 2010 when the 6-monthly period is up.

According to www dot housingadviceni dot org/rights-when-renting/sharing-and-subletting/lodgers-a-sub-tenants-rights dot html, it says: "You usually have the right to live in your home along with anyone else who is part of your household. This means that you can live with: your husband or wife, your partner, your children, anyone else who normally lives with you. You can usually live with members of your household even if they are not mentioned on the tenancy agreement".

Does that work in my favour?

On another note, I never received any documents regarding my deposit being held in a TDS, which I now understand is mandatory. I am in the midst of contacting the three services to see if any of them are holding it. If they are not, is it worth me filing a claim while I am still a tenant?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Hello all,

So he agreed to reduce the rent as you were going to be living alone and would struggle to pay,that was quite nice of him as he could have chucked you out if you didnt pay.But now the missis is coming back and you dont want to pay the extra even though you could?

If she comes back then you could pay as before,Im sure if you agree to pay full rent again hed be happy for your missis to move back in,have you asked?

No no, I offered to pay the full rent as before!

I should've made that clearer. I'm not trying to con him out of anything....I appreciate how generous he was instead of evicting me when I was going to struggle on my own. I asked quite clearly that if he were to agree to let her back in, I would naturally pay the full amount as originally agreed......but he still refused.

But your rent has not actually been reduced, it has just been agreed that payment will be spread over a longer period.

Reduced or not, I can see no way that a landlord can prevent a a tenant's wife living with him. One even has to doubt whether a "no wives" clause would be enforceable.

Then unless hes rented it for sole occupation in the contract he cant stop anyone living there with you.

Id still try the reasonable route first and have a talk to see what his objections are to her coming back,were arguments upsetting the neighbours before you split ect.

In the end if she moves in he has to evct you both and he cant do that without good reason.

As in all these cases its better to try and be reasoable but if they wont play ball then put everything in writing and send everything recorded and stick to your rights.

But your rent has not actually been reduced, it has just been agreed that payment will be spread over a longer period.

The landlord won't be out of pocket, whether or not he lets my wife stay with me. If he agrees, it just means he gets the full payment up front instead of it being spread.

But on another note, the AST renewal I signed in January says the rent is £700 instead of the usual £900.......in retrospect, the landlord should've written £900 and not made me sign the additional affidavit.

Then unless hes rented it for sole occupation in the contract he cant stop anyone living there with you.

There is nothing in the AST that specifies it is for me only. He used one of the standard WH Smith packages....so the Ts & Cs are standard.

Id still try the reasonable route first and have a talk to see what his objections are to her coming back,were arguments upsetting the neighbours before you split ect.

In the end if she moves in he has to evct you both and he cant do that without good reason.

As in all these cases its better to try and be reasoable but if they wont play ball then put everything in writing and send everything recorded and stick to your rights.

I've tried the reasonable route through texts and phonecalls....which in hindsight will not stand up in court, so I should switch to communicating with him in writing.

We have not been in breach of any of the standard AST terms.....rent is paid on time, no arrears in bills, no problems with neighbours, no overcrowding, no 'illegal activities' being carried out on the premises, no criminal convictions, no CCJs..........

If it turns out that he has not put our deposit in one of the schemes, does that mean he cannot give us notice to evict? That would work in our favour to stretch things out till September....

Many thanks for all your help.

Then he cant stop whoever you want living with you.Move her back in and let him do what he wants,even if he went to court and somehow won it'd still take till later than Sept.

You dont have to tell him shes living there,your not sub letting in any way.

if your not needing references from him then sadly even if the relationship turns sour it doesnt matter.

Personally Id just ignore him and get on with life.If he thinks he has grounds for her not living there then he has to state them to get you evicted otherwise he cant do anything except talk.

get on with life and dont worry about it.

If he comes up with a reason for his actions based on law then pop back on here otherwise he may as well talk to a brick wall.

And do remember,if anything in life relating to laws and regs starts happening make it always in writing right from the start.

Then he cant stop whoever you want living with you.

Thank you....thats such a relief to hear!

And do remember,if anything in life relating to laws and regs starts happening make it always in writing right from the start.

After all this, I am definitely going to remember that lesson....thank you!

Do you think I should pursue the non-TDS compliance? I don't think he will be that forthcoming with the deposit if things turn sour...... Or should I wait till we leave, see how much he offers and then use an N1 form?

It is probably not worth doing anything now - there seems to be a position with the courts recently whereby if the LL protects the deposit late, the 3xpenalty is not enforced - which is totally wrong, but the legislation is so badly drafted it fails to give the tenant the protection it was supposed to.

Be prepared for LL not to give it back (i.e. try to save enough for a deposit on the next property without having to rely on getting this one back) and deal with it then. The important thing is whether a proper inventory (which you agreed to and signed) was carried out at the start of the tenancy. If not, LL cannot prove condition at the end of the tenancy was any different from the condition at the start.

You may have to sue for the return of your money so get as much info in the LL as you can (address etc. etc.)

And bobinky is so right - everything in writing - and keep it all - you just never know when you may need it.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

It is probably not worth doing anything now - there seems to be a position with the courts recently whereby if the LL protects the deposit late, the 3xpenalty is not enforced - which is totally wrong, but the legislation is so badly drafted it fails to give the tenant the protection it was supposed to.

So if LLs can protect the deposit retrospectively, what is the point of the penalty? Which insane LL would NOT protect when served with court papers.....thus voiding the penalty all the time.

The important thing is whether a proper inventory (which you agreed to and signed) was carried out at the start of the tenancy. If not, LL cannot prove condition at the end of the tenancy was any different from the condition at the start.

The 'inventory' was just a handwritten list of the landlord's furniture in the flat. No references were made to their or the flat's condition. It wasn't exactly the most thorough and concise of inventories...but is that enough to give him grounds to prove the condition of the flat?

Naturally, I will make sure the flat is cleaned thoroughly and will take plenty of photographs and videos of the place to prove its condition. I haven't turned it into a tip......although everytime the LL has visited, they have always picked on something....like "you have too many things" or "the shower isn't clean enough". They want it in the uninhabited pristine state it was in when the flat was refurbished before we took up the tenancy; it seems to be setting the precedence for the pending deposit dispute!

You may have to sue for the return of your money so get as much info in the LL as you can (address etc. etc.)

I've got the LL's details from the Land Registry. Will keep a hold of it till the deposit is back in my hands.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up to the above, my AST is due to come to an end on the 17th of July and the LL has not served notice. In view of this, I decided to serve a Notice to Quit which should take me up to the 17th of September, when I can move out. As far as I am aware, the AST automatically changes to a periodic rolling contract, and the LL must give 2 months notice to require possession. Whoever issues the notice, we will be able to stay here till Sep.

I was hoping someone could go through the wording of my notice to see if I covered the essential points.

The 6-month fixed term of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy for the aforementioned property draws to an end on the 17th of July 2010. A notice to quit under Section 21(1)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 has not been served on your behalf. Therefore, this tenancy will hereby become a statutory periodic tenancy. This will be a monthly periodic tenancy commencing from the 18th of July, the day after the end of the fixed-term, according to statutory law.

Under Section 21(4)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 (amended 1996), the landlord is required to give at least two months’ Notice to Quit in writing, while the tenant is only required to give at least one month’s Notice to Quit.

I, the tenant, hereby serve a two month Notice to Quit. This notice is effective from the 18th of July 2010, when the monthly periodic tenancy commences. This will remain effective until the 17th of September 2010, when possession of the property will be returned to you.

On another note, how shall I proceed with the deposit issue? I have written confirmation from all three schemes to say my deposit is not protected with them. The AST we signed categorically states it needs to be protected under a government approved scheme.

When is it best to bring this up with the landlord?

Once again, thank you all very much!