• Tweets

• Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
    • This is simply a scam site.  It's been shown to be a scam in the national press and on national TV. Please fill in the the forum sticky and upload the invoice you've received. In fact what you have is an invoice, not a fine, a private company doesn't have the power to issue fines.  
    • Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Harsh Letter received from Kensington *Claim struck out in court*

jamorgan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any news today on the transcript Morgy? It's probably time to start drafting the appeal, as Gizmo says, and then adapting it. Zoot's point about Kensington abusing the process by hauling in a barrister seems like one avenue. I do think we need to get a move on with this. I've been trying to contact aforementioned cousin (who's a contract lawyer and should be able to help) but with no success. I'll keep trying.

Good wishes,

Paul

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/60498-urgent-urgent-help-needed.html

this just goes to show the difference approach that the DJs take. I had a simple set aside hearing and the claimants sent a barriter and the Judge just said, dont think so sunshine to their costs.

I would like to add I want to make a donation to Jmorgan but dont seem to find out how to do this and also believe IT IS IMPERATIVE that we fund an appeal for her. If it went in front of a high court judge and won which we all believe it would, this would become a precedent for all other cases. We would be quoting J Morgan Vs Kensington 2007 in all our bundles.

To allow this to fall away simply because of a cost issue would be ridiculous. Lets get it sorted and raise a fund.

We have 100,000 user and if 20% donated 50p, that would be 10 grand

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with that. Harking back to the introduction of barristers to the equation does the opening element of the Civil Procedure Rules "Overriding Objective"(2)Dealing with a case justly includes, so far as is practicable –

(a)ensuring that the parties are on an equal footing;"

have a bearing?

Hi Guys,

Recieved a letter from court this morning

Upon hearing the Claimant in person and Counsel for the defendant

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. The calim be struck out

2. There be Judgement for the Defendant on the Counterclaim in the sum of £4,558.30

3. Save for paragraph 2 hereof, there be no order for costs.

4. The time permission to appeal be extended to 4pm on 31st January 2007

No sign of the transcript as yet.

Could somebody explain point 3 to me please

Jamorgan, after reading this thread and having a letter from MAS on my desk my knees quiver.

Is there a fund for this fight as a win would be beneficial for me as an example for the court. I would prefer (Not got your bottle) to place the costs i would incur into one challenge and have a victory to quote in a future claim.

If there is a CAG Fund let me know i want in!

Well done you, really well done!

SBFIDO

Accredited Member of the CIEH

No more will I be bullied or harassed.

When informed that the call is recorded for training and monitoring I always say I don't want it used for training. :razz:

I always ask for the ICO registration information - they often dont have it, shame i never discuss my personal data unless I know they comply with the DPA.

Finally I always record calls and state at the start of there call. Although I don't have too.

Hi Morgy,

It seems Kensington won the counter claim rather than the judge awarding costs against you because you lost. Which is again surprising.

They are cutting it fine with that transcript. With out that you don't know on what grounds you can appeal.

Speak soon

Zoot

Guest willowb

Zoot, if Morgy appeals against the counter-claim verdict (what she has been ordered to pay out - some £4,500 ish) would this then fall under a small claim? How does that work?

Sorry if I'm being dim!

Wxxx

cant find it can u put a link in???

HSBC - 11/9/06 - prem letter sent

19/9/06 - lba sent £3391 requested

5/10/06 - MCOL

17/10/06 - offer for £1600 on one account recieved

28/11/06 - Full offer recieved

Capital one - 13/9/06 -letter asking for statements sent

17/10/06 - prelim sent for £640

Lloyds TSB - 13/9/06 -letter asking for statements sent

17/10/06 - prelim sent fro £732

Lloyds TSB - 26/9/06 - prem letter sent - £391

Any news of transcript, When they put in their counter claim did they give you a breakdown of costs I'm doing reserch into costs for my costs hearing and some interesting things have come to light a solictor cannot claim travel expenses if they are within 10 mile of the court also cost must be proportinate to the amount being claimed also cost have to be reasonabel but also the actions of the solicotr /Barrister have to be reasonable, they should have given you an itemosed bill did they

you may be able to appeal on 2 fronts

Bona

We have tried to set up a fighting fund to HELP ALL OF US,but it seems that nobody is really interested.

We feel that unless we all get together on this and get a Class Action against these big guns we will never win.

!!!

See our fighting fund thread!!

Think we are interested just this hasnt got off the ground yet. No solicitor, no name of whoever is managing the action or even how to donate. I will donate but obviously not untill this has been advised

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Hi Bona,

Yes they did give me a breakdown,I think I posted the breakdown on page 11 or 12 have a look at it for me and let me know what you think. x

Also rang transcript lady last night and she has not recieved it back from the courts yet, so she gave me the courts section managers direct line and I have left a message at 5.00pm last night for her to contact me back. this morning. I think I am going to ask for a extention on the 14 days,due to the delay in transcript

What do you think guys.

M x

Hi

I might be thick but I cant find a breakdown just an amount, you are entitled under the Solicitors act to have a complete breakdown of their costs , ie how much did the barrister charge details of telephone callss letters ect, if these are unreasonable then you could also appeal agaist that, If the judge wont allow you an extension you can ask leave to appeal out of time citing the delay in the transcript

Bona

Hi,

Bona it's on page 9 hun hope this is enough info.

Also rang courts today and asked for advise on extending the time for the appeal, spoke to a lady who said I did not have to wait untill transcript comes through just send a simple fax as the cut off point was tommorrow

I explained that we needed information form the transcript to know what grounds to appeal on,she advisedd just send over a fax stating you wish to appeal.

So this is what I wrote.

I wish to appeal as per the order of Judge G Hickingbottom dated the 22 nd January 2007

Please would you advise if you require an appellants notice to be completed or wether any other information is required at this time.

any comments guys?

Re costs

I think you ought to write to the solicitors asking for a more detailed account of their costs and copies of all invoices and disbursments, you dont want to ask for an assessment as that will cost money unless you can prove their costs were unreasonable . When you get it then we can have a closure look it seems a bit steep for what they did, with regard to the appeal go for it you can always pul out if the judge agres he will give you a date for the appeal and oh boy we will all have to get behind you to help hope this help

Bona

just read their counter claim when you appeal properly I think you might have a case that you were only aware of the cost which they site in their counter claim 24hours before hand and it gave you no time to chalange them and the judge after he had struck out you claim gave you no opotunity to challenge them which would be unfair

any comments anyone

Hi All,

Had a loan with Associate now (Furture Mortgages aka Citi financial group) for 5years but decieded to repay it 2years into the agreement following a remortgage. I got heavely stung with early redemption charge, sealing fee, redemption fee the lot. So I decieded to send off a copy of Zootscoot's request for repayment of charges letter found in the libary on 6th January 2007 and like other people on these threads I have recieved a "fob off" response on 23rd January 2007 as follows: please help!

RE: COMPLAINT

We thank you for your letter of 12th January, the contents of which are noted.

We do not accept your claim that the charges are either unlawful or unenforceable either for the reason you state or for any other reason. The recently released Office of Fair Trading report "Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts" was issued after an investigation involving submissions from eight of the leading credit card issuers. However, the contract that is the subject of your claim is a mortgage, which is an entirely different kind of financial product from a credit card. In addition redemption and sealing fees are not charges for breach of contract, and are outside the scope of the OFT Report.

In any case the OFT stated that its finding was merely "a statement of [its] position and reflect[ed] the exercise of [its] discretion as an enforcement agency." It went on to say, " Only a court can decide finally whether a term is unfair or at what level default charges should be set to meet the requirements of the UTCCRs." Based on the evidence it received from the credit card issuers, the OFT established a threshold of £12, beyond which its "presumption will be that credit card default charges set above this level are unfair unless there are exceptional factors that legally justify the higher charge." Whilst the OFT's report is confined to default charges in relation to credit cards, it stated that it expected the general principles to be applied to other kinds of financial product, including mortgages. We do not accept that this equates to a blanket application of the same £12 threshold to cases other than credit cards, and that a different figure would be likely to be arrived at, based on the higher costs involved in managing mortgage arrears.

We do not accept your claims that, on the strength of the matters stated in the OFT Report, the charges applied to your account are either unlawful or unenforceable, or that you would be entitled to recover these charges in whole even if (which is not admitted) they were held to be a penalty. It seems undisputed that you breached the contract on each occasion a charge was levied. The law allows us to charge an amount that reflects the reasonably foreseeable costs of the breaches.

We note that you rely upon the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) "UCTCCR" and the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 as the legal rationale of your claim. Paragraph 8(1) UTCCR 1999 states that "An unfair term in a contract concluded with a consumer by a seller or supplier shall not be binding on the consumer." Para (2) provides that "The contract shall continue to bind the parties if it is capable of continuing in existence without the unfair term." Schedule 2 identifies terms that may be unfair including at (1)( e) "a term requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation."

We consider that-your argument-t-hat-thefees-you have been charged fall foul of Schedule 2 1 ( e) is wrong. On a true construction of both the Regulations and the OFT Report it is clear that we are not constrained by the £12 figure that the OFT has laid down in respect of credit cards because of the different nature of the account that is the subject of the proceedings. Equally, your argument that the charges are totally unenforceable is misconceived in law. The law does not preclude a lender from imposing charges that reflect the reasonably foreseeable costs of the breach. It will only disallow those that are clearly a penalty on the defaulting party (see Jobson v Johnson [1988] 1WlR)

We also consider that we have satisfied the tests of reasonableness imposed both under section 11 Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and by the High Court, per Coleman J in Lordsvale Finance Pic v Bank of Zambia [1996] QB 752, 762G in relation to our default fees policy. We retain in place an infrastructure involving staff, computer systems and other administrative tools in order to operate an effective collections function based on reasonable assumptions about the number of defaulting customers in any given period.

We believe you have both misunderstood and underestimated the true cost to the company of even a single breach, since an infrastructure in staff and other resources with resulting overheads is essential for commercially viable operations.

We therefore confirm that we do not propose to remit the sum claimed or any sum at all to you and reserve our rights to recover any and all sums due by due process of law.

Yours sincerely

Hi All,

Had a loan with Associate now (Furture Mortgages aka Citi financial group) for 5years but decieded to repay it 2years into the agreement following a remortgage. I got heavely stung with early redemption charge, sealing fee, redemption fee the lot. So I decieded to send off a copy of Zootscoot's request for repayment of charges letter found in the libary on 6th January 2007 and like other people on these threads I have recieved a "fob off" response on 23rd January 2007 as follows: please help!

RE: COMPLAINT

We thank you for your letter of 12th January, the contents of which are noted.

We do not accept your claim that the charges are either unlawful or unenforceable either for the reason you state or for any other reason. The recently released Office of Fair Trading report "Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts" was issued after an investigation involving submissions from eight of the leading credit card issuers. However, the contract that is the subject of your claim is a mortgage, which is an entirely different kind of financial product from a credit card. In addition redemption and sealing fees are not charges for breach of contract, and are outside the scope of the OFT Report.

In any case the OFT stated that its finding was merely "a statement of [its] position and reflect[ed] the exercise of [its] discretion as an enforcement agency." It went on to say, " Only a court can decide finally whether a term is unfair or at what level default charges should be set to meet the requirements of the UTCCRs." Based on the evidence it received from the credit card issuers, the OFT established a threshold of £12, beyond which its "presumption will be that credit card default charges set above this level are unfair unless there are exceptional factors that legally justify the higher charge." Whilst the OFT's report is confined to default charges in relation to credit cards, it stated that it expected the general principles to be applied to other kinds of financial product, including mortgages. We do not accept that this equates to a blanket application of the same £12 threshold to cases other than credit cards, and that a different figure would be likely to be arrived at, based on the higher costs involved in managing mortgage arrears.

We do not accept your claims that, on the strength of the matters stated in the OFT Report, the charges applied to your account are either unlawful or unenforceable, or that you would be entitled to recover these charges in whole even if (which is not admitted) they were held to be a penalty. It seems undisputed that you breached the contract on each occasion a charge was levied. The law allows us to charge an amount that reflects the reasonably foreseeable costs of the breaches.

We note that you rely upon the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) "UCTCCR" and the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 as the legal rationale of your claim. Paragraph 8(1) UTCCR 1999 states that "An unfair term in a contract concluded with a consumer by a seller or supplier shall not be binding on the consumer." Para (2) provides that "The contract shall continue to bind the parties if it is capable of continuing in existence without the unfair term." Schedule 2 identifies terms that may be unfair including at (1)( e) "a term requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation."

We consider that-your argument-t-hat-thefees-you have been charged fall foul of Schedule 2 1 ( e) is wrong. On a true construction of both the Regulations and the OFT Report it is clear that we are not constrained by the £12 figure that the OFT has laid down in respect of credit cards because of the different nature of the account that is the subject of the proceedings. Equally, your argument that the charges are totally unenforceable is misconceived in law. The law does not preclude a lender from imposing charges that reflect the reasonably foreseeable costs of the breach. It will only disallow those that are clearly a penalty on the defaulting party (see Jobson v Johnson [1988] 1WlR)

We also consider that we have satisfied the tests of reasonableness imposed both under section 11 Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and by the High Court, per Coleman J in Lordsvale Finance Pic v Bank of Zambia [1996] QB 752, 762G in relation to our default fees policy. We retain in place an infrastructure involving staff, computer systems and other administrative tools in order to operate an effective collections function based on reasonable assumptions about the number of defaulting customers in any given period.

We believe you have both misunderstood and underestimated the true cost to the company of even a single breach, since an infrastructure in staff and other resources with resulting overheads is essential for commercially viable operations.

We therefore confirm that we do not propose to remit the sum claimed or any sum at all to you and reserve our rights to recover any and all sums due by due process of law.

Yours sincerely

Hi ell,

Can you please start a new thread so we can follow your story,and was this a loan under £25k, and please post the letter you sent and their reply. Thankyou.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS SEEN THE ARTICLE IN EXPRESS TODAY ENTITLED END OF ROAD FOR RIP-OFF HOME-LOAN EXIT CHARGE.

States city watchdog is finally taking action against the mortgage lenders who have profiteered from the fees they charge.

Really good long article FSA has given them until Feb 28th to put their house in order and stated that they WILL have to pay backpayments to ex customers for over charging admin costs.Again it states that these charges (like the banks) have to be reasonable and in proportion to their actual costs.It states that the watchdog will be seeking justification from the lenders on their costs. The FSA is suggesting a fixed fee.

IT SEEMS THAT WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE,ANY ADVICE NEEDED THE FSA has asked that customers contact them and to make any complaints to them if the mortgage company hasnt responded.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

• Haha 1