Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit dispute

sjc1985
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work but dont earn a lot so I have housing benefit and council tax benefit to help me. Last May, I had my yearly review, met the reviewing officer at my house and showed her the proof I had of my earnings (I am self employed). I queried expenses and was told that they allow between £10/15 a week in petrol for my sort of job and it is taken into account.

I heard nothing further so carried on paying my water rates until July last year when I received a letter telling me I was nearly £300 in arrears! As you can imagine, it shocked the life out of me! I rang them immediately and was told to write in and appeal but to give them 6/8 weeks before I followed it up as thats how long a review can take.

I did this and had to chase them several times including another letter and eventually last November I got them to review my housing benefit and council tax benefit and they found that I should only have been paying my water rates as I suspect. HOWEVER, they only decided this when the new legislation came in saying Child benefit no longer counted as income.

This didnt help me with my arrears and I again phoned them to explain that they hadnt sorted it and AGAIN wrote to them explaining that they needed to look at the period between May 09 & November 09 during which time my accounts clearly show that I should have been receiving full housing benefit and that they have underpaid me during that time!

To this date, I have heard nothing despite calling again several times. Any advice please? I am struggling to repay this debt and am not sure why I should be paying it when it was their error.

Off the back of this dispute, I have been taken to court for council tax arrears from the same period so I now have that against me and bailiffs chasing me but that is a seperate issue that I will address on the bailiffs board.

Thanks

Sarah

03/10/06-Data Protection Act request sent via recorded delivery

06/10/06- Letter signed for. 15th Nov cut off date.

10/10/06- Statements come in tatty brown envelope.

Will be claiming for £1946.22

23/10/06- Preliminary request for £1946.22 sent recorded delivery.

24/10/06-Letter signed for. 7th Nov cut off.

08/11/06- Standard letter received wanting more time.

23/03/07- Time up for NatWest to say whether defending or not.

19/03/07- Acknowledgement of service and saying was going to defend came through.

04/04/07- Deadline for Natwests defence.

03/04/07- Defence filed came through.

05/05/07- Letter from Court to say claim stayed until 27/06/07

25/06/07- Letter from court, claim stayed until further notice.