Jump to content

Council delaying tactics?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi can anyone please advise?

I have applied to the council to assign my secure tennancy (of 11 years) to my brother who has lived with me since January of 2009.I was told the process would take 4 weeks.

They have written and agreed that this can be done and invited myself and my brother to make an appointment to sign the forms.

However, they subsequently said that they needed an EPC ( energy performance certificate) and that they had requested a company to do this. Nothing happened for a week or two and my brother eventually contacted the company directly and they carried out the checks. They told him the certificate would be dowloaded and sent immediately to the housing office. It has now been 9 weeks since I applied (12 in fact since my 1st application- a letter which they confirmed receipt of but then lost!) I have made numerous phone calls. Each time I am told no-one is available and they will email the office. The response time for emails is 48 hours. No-one ever returns the call. I have been given the excuse that the council legal dept (Leeds, W.Yorks) has failed to send the necessary forms through to the housing office. Today I rang again was given the same excuse. I phoned the councils legal dept who were reasonably helpful and they said they had asked for copies of proof of residence (which my brother had left with the housing office previously) from the housing office. So they are basically blaming one another and the delay goes on.


In the meantime my brother has lost his job I am having to stump up for the rent and council tax and I cannot officially leave the flat until the assignment is complete??

I am also now paying council tax and rent on a house in bradford in order to secure it for purchase!

I wanted to be out of there by the end of March and now I have a council tax bill for leeds for April and May!


What can I do?????

Edited by Redletter
additional info




'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother would be eligible for housing benefit and council tax benefit had the change taken place and I am now out of pocket due to their incompetence!




'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Put in a complaint, contact a senior manager or your MP or Councillor to get this escalated.


Can't help with info on the EPC as I don't know when this is needed and when it's not.


However, for assignments usually they will need proof of ID (possibly from both of you), proof that your brother is your brother and proof that he has been living there for at least the last 12 months as his principal home. A decision would be taken as to whether the assignment could be granted or not. If it can you would then need to get an official deed of assignment drawn up, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...