Discrimination at Tesco's?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today we went into Tesco in Warndon in Worcester to do a bit of shopping. We seldom use Tesco as it is too far for us to travel so weren't too familar with the store. Anyway did the shopping and went to pay and that is when it all started.

I use elbow crutches to support myself when walking and using just one can be awkward. The pin machine in TESCO is not accessible to people who are disabled as it is almost on the other side of the counter instead of right on the aisle where any one can reach it and cover up their PIN number. So much so I had to ask my wife to insert the card as I could not reach over to put it in myself.

I had to then remove the elbow crutch from my right arm to enter my PIN number. Luckily I was able to balance myself in such a fashion that I did not fall down. As the PIN machine is so far over, all and sundry can see what my PIN number is. Even an able bodied person would have difficulty in covering up their PIN number. So much for TESCO being ever viligent about security.

IMHO by placing the PIN machine out of reach they are discrinminatuing against those with disability and secondly they are compromising your personal security by allowing every one to see youre PIN Number.

I am really angry and would like to escalate this to highest possible level in Tesco and would be grateful for any contact addresses. I would also like to make other organisations that are interested in discrimination ware about this incident. I may be over reacting but I felt very vulnerable today.

There is no disabled checkout and even if I was not disabled the fact that your security is compromised may be a serious offence under Data Protection law. This aplies to an able bodied person also.

Secondly if you are an able bodied pensioner who is not disabled, you would have difficulty in leaning across and inputting your PIN never mind reading the amount on the PIN machine that you are authorising.

Remember that you have probably just packed all your groceries ands do not want to dealy other people.

Personally, I'd go straight to the Commission with the complaint, as Tesco's CS are complete rubbish and will leave you even more frustrated and angry by the time they have finished either ignoring you or brushing you off. :-(

I hav sice contacted the local newspaper and also Age Concern as any one that is elderly will have difficulty inserting their card and more than likely go on trust the amount that is being authorised.

Not sure if this will help, my partners works in a store that sells food (not Tesco) their card reader can be taken off its stand to pass to customers. This is for disable people in a wheel chair as they cannot reach the counter to put in their card into the reader. :???:

Not sure if this will help, my partners works in a store that sells food (not Tesco) their card reader can be taken off its stand to pass to customers. This is for disable people in a wheel chair as they cannot reach the counter to put in their card into the reader. :???:

Fair enough but the point is why should you have to ask for the card reader to be passed over and even if you were able bodied and were to lean across every one else can see the PIN be entered compromising your security.

okay just came across as thaqt. We don't normally shop at Tesco's as the nearest store is severeal miles away but on that day we were in the vicinity so stopped there for a bit of shopping. Don't really like Tesco as food is poor quality and overpriced.

When I am in Tesco I ask for the card reader to be passed to me as I can't reach it from my chair.

In my local Sainsbury's, the card reader is in a sensible place at the front of the checkout, in Waitrose some card readers are at the back but if so, the staff always pass it to me without my having to ask.

Mostly I get Ocado to deliver my shopping, easier and good quality and much better service than any other delivery service.

• 1 month later...

You can ring/email the Equality and Human Rights people on

• England 0845 604 6610
  • Scotland 0845 604 5510
  • Wales 0845 604 8810

The Disability Rights Commission joined forces with these a couple of years ago. Have you a local Access Group for disabled people in your area - this is the sort of thing they will assist you with to get things changed.

By the way, you have every right to shop at Tescos so ignore the person who said shop elsewhere. You have the right to do the things a non disabled person does without asking for assistance. If you shop elsewhere the problem is still going to be there for other disabled people so good luck with your fight!