Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cabot and other debt buyers pay only a fraction of the face value of the debt when they purchase it. They could pay under 10% of the value of the debt.

Don't for one moment believe that this sort of offer is there to help you. For a start they may have increased the debt by adding charges so that this apparant discount is nothing of the sort. Moreover, it's in the nature of these organisations to offer discounts when they have no legal basis for recovering the debt.

Even if you want to explore this further with them, do it in writing and do not phone them under any circumstances.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh if anyone is offering a discount that normally means something smells

like the agreement is crap and unenforceable or there are heaps of unlawfull charges or PPI or all three!!

urm......

i think i'd CCA everyone before you 'actually' go down the BK route.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good evening Seminole. This is all still so daunting and confusing - thank you for the explanation. I certainly do not want to explore it further and I definately will not call them.

Good evening dx. I CCA'd all three and only Equidebt responded within the given time frame. However, I am still waiting for a clear copy of the agreement from them. They and Wescot have been eerily quiet though...Still searching for the original agreements, will post when I find them.

Seeing as none of them are willing to accept my repayment offer, I am at a loss as to what I should do next?

mam

Startling as it may seem, Cabot MAY be trying to see the realistic side of things, and will know that due to the size of the amount owed, you may be seriously looking at an IVA or bankruptcy. This is their initial foray into trying to "appear" reasonable. Purely for their own benefit, of course.

Additionally, all that nonsense earlier about FIRE handling the account is just pure nonsense. The ONLY reason FIRE are ever given accounts to handle, is when Cabot know full well that the debt (and that's exactly what it is, since you have admitted it), is very likely unenforcable.

Cabot are well known for using FIRE in a pathetic attempt to distance themselves from some pretty shady and underhand tactics employed by that part of their Group.

I think there is a very strong chance then that you could argue unenforcability. Yes, they will bleat on about morals, and your responsibility to repay debt. But a company who seeks to claw back the whole amount, PLUS an unlawful 12% on top of the debt,and on interest that has already accrued, should be the last to preach morality.

What have you got to lose by fighting it? If you win, you're free and clear of Cabot. If you lose, you're back in the position you are already in, and facing probable bankruptcy.

certainly pay no-one nothing if no cca

no cca = no pay!

so if any of your cca's are past 12+2 days return , fire off the A/C in despute letter and stop payment.

those with no cca's can be offered 10% of the outstanding bal if you can F&F

but you are under no obl to pay them anything

keep us informed

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry to sound dense dx but what does F & F stand for? Only 10% really...

Cabot have already had an A/C in dispute letter and they responded with the insincere apology re FIRE and 'acknowledgement of debt' letter.

Will keep in touch

mam.

Hello Fester Tester

Thank you also for explaining the Cabot/Fire situation so clearly, I cannot believe these people do this, if I did not have you fellow caggers I dread to think what sort of state I would be in now. You are right though, what do I have to lose by fighting? It could not be any worse than the mess I am already in.

mam

If debt collection letters were trading cards then I would have completed the Cabot and FIRE card set and even have some doubles for swapsies.

I started by playing the letter tennis game, but in the end I realised that it really does not matter what you write to Cabot, they just will not listen so I changed my tatic and ignored them which has worked wonderfully ever since.

:) ashmk, thank you for sharing, it does seem as though they take absolutely no notice, maybe I should try ignoring them?

Not sure I have the guts to.

I know I keep saying it but it is true...it really helps having the support, guidance and experience/knowledge from you all.

Sorry to sound dense dx but what does F & F stand for? Only 10% really...

Cabot have already had an A/C in dispute letter and they responded with the insincere apology re FIRE and 'acknowledgement of debt' letter.

Will keep in touch

mam.

F&F

full and final to close the a/c and remove ALL cra evidence.

ignore them now

they are toothless as are all dca's.

dx

and they

I notice you said you have sent a CCA request but have not posted it for the experts to look over. If you have the means you should scan it and remove personal info for the guys here to look over. It may well turn out that what you have been sent is garbage and totally unenforcable anyway which would set your mind at ease a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ashmk

sincere apologies for not replying to you sooner, going through some personal issues plus computer issues - where is the light at the end of my tunnel...

Anyway, back to your comments, I thought I had posted the replies, will double check. Still looking for the originals which I thought I knew exactly where they were, I know I have them filed away somewhere so will scan and post as soon as I find them as I definately need the experts advice.

mam62

Hello dx

Sincere apologies for the late reply, loads going on as usual, unfortunately all horrid...

Thank you for explaining. I am trying to ignore them even though I have still had further communication from them.

Wescot are now back on the case but what is really frightening is that they called me.

On checking my home phone this morning, a recorded message was left at 6.30pm yesterday saying I needed to contact them immediately (not going to as advised before).

So not only am I now scared of the post and my doorbell, I am now going to be scared to answer the phone. I do not even know how they got my home number as I have never given it to them?

Still turning the place upside down to find the original docs, I know I have them somewhere, just bear with me.

mam

;)

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

I had Cabot ringing me every day on the telephone ... I only answered the first time and told them to call back, then I put them on call blocker pro, which hangs up automatically, and after about 10 months, changed my phone number. That was the last I heard from them, in February, they haven't written or anything (yet).

Wescot phone at least 3 times a day now and leave a recorded message to call them immediately but as advised I do not answer.

Wonder how long it will be before they stop calling - if they ever stop.

Edited by mam62
Spelling mistake

please stop being 'scared' ..................

these DCA's are NOTHING

they are NOT BAILIFFS

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

you or I or the milkman could do the same thing.

all they can do is THREATEN YOU..

sadly it seems like it is working...

IGNORE THEM!!!

dx

and they

do some reading up on others exp.

you REALLY need to get out od your head that DCA's can do anything to you..they CAN'T

they have no legal powers & can only sent threat-o-grams.

ignore them

dx

and they

Funnily enough, after your message yesterday, that's exactly what I started to do.

Some of the threads I have read so far really puts into perspective just how many people there are out there in the same position and worse.

Thanks again dx

mam

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mpols

I am trying to keep my sanity believe you me. I have been screening my home phone due to constant calls from Wescot but am doing as dx advised and ignoring them. Cabot however are sending threatening emails re escalation of account and possible doorstep collection if I do not settle immediately.

How are you doing? Any responses to the letters you sent out?

Thanks for checking in on me though, it means a lot.

mam xx

This is exactly what I have just received from Cabot, some very fuzzily photocopied piece of paper which is meant to be an agreement which is totally unreadable. I have asked for something with a signature on it but they reckon this should be acceptable! Erm, I think not! Still disputing the debt......

Heya mam - I can't remember, did you ever send them the no doorstep collectors and the no phonecalls letters? If not they can be found in the templates library - I'll see if i can post the links for you - obviously you can combine the two of them into one letter for ease but don't forget to send them recorded and keep your receipt. Send one to both Cabot and Wescot hun. See if that helps. Might be worth changing your e-mail addy or adding a paragraph stating that they are only allowed to contact you the traditional way from now on? Are you saving/printing off all the e-mails they send? Also you could keep a copy of the no doorstep collectors letter by your front door so that if anyone really did turn up you can just hand it to them and ask them to leave. If they don't then you can call the police because they are trespassing. Keep ignoring the phone if possible - Believe me, i know what it is like to get constant calls at all hours - I used to just turn the plug off on mine at times so that family/friends etc could still contact me if they wanted and leave a msg for me to call them back but i didnt have to hear the bloomin noise of it ringing every ten mins! Then i just used to check for msgs/1471 every half hr or so - major pain in butt i know but for me personally it helped because it meant i didn't have my bairns trying to answer it or ask why i wasn't! :madgrin: Anyways, i will have a look now for those templates for you. Take care, Mpols x

'Confidence grows & heartbeat slows to a steady stronger beat, as each member unites, against DCA fights & we all sail aboard the CAG fleet!' :rolleyes:

:pKeep smiling peeps!