• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DWP won't reinstate benefits

gina11x
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i was accused of benefit fraud which i did not do. My appeal was turned down and i was prosecuted, i pleaded not guilty and was sent to trial however 4 days before my trial the prosecution discontinued with it due to receipt of further information and the case was dropped. Now the DWP are saying this wasn't their decision and their original decision still stands and they will not reinstate my benefits to cover the period of time. So it seems i still have to pay the money back even though i did nothing wrong and was willing to go to court over it.

I am so confused has anyone else had this happen to them.

Hello Gina. I was just passing and thought I'd let you know someone's listening. I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid, but I expect someone who does will be along soon. I can see why you'd think this is unfair.

My best, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Have they said what receipt of further info they got which halted the trial. I presume it was in your favor obviously and therefore you would think depending on that you have cause to get back money.

However thats my two penneth but no expert. If you can give any further info about what info they told you that had it dropped, the experts can help xxxx

ps. Bet your glad the case was dropped:)xx

Hi Gina,

IMHO you should make a complaint, here's some good independent advice on how to proceed correctly (from "Public Law Project Information leaflets 7"):

http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/documents/ComplaintToPartPBs.pdf

...and here's the DWP's own page regarding complaints:

Complaints and appeals - DWP

Regards, Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

The DWP makes benefit decisions, it does not decide whether or not a prosecution goes ahead in court. That's the job of the CPS/Procurator Fiscal. The DWP will present evidence saying why it believes there should be a prosecution but, ultimately, it's not up to them.

So it seems that the authorities have decided that prosecuting you is not worthwhile, and that tends to happen because they don't think such a prosecution would succeed. You don't say what the further information was, but presumably it pointed towards your innocence.

That, of course, would be your innocence of the crime of benefit fraud, but it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't been overpaid benefit. It's just that not every overpayment is the result of a prosecutable crime on the part of the claimant.

The DWP is correct, therefore. They didn't make the decision not to prosecute. That doesn't mean they're right in denying you benefit or in seeking to reclaim money already paid, or that there's nothing you can do about it. But basically, the decision about whether or not you are entitled to benefit is different from the decision about whether or not you should face a criminal trial.

At this point, I'd have to suggest that you seek advice from sources more reliable than an internet message board. That's not a comment about the posters here, who are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, but it's just too complex an issue for anyone here to give reliable advice.

Your local council may offer a Welfare Rights service and if they do, that may be your best free option.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi thankyou all for responding, my solicitor had previously tried to get the prosecution to drop the case at an earlier hearing, however they refused to do this and said they would go to trial, so i have no idea what the further information was that made them reconsider. I saw my solicitor a wk prior to them discontinuing the case and gave him my evidence to prove he was living elsewhere, and he photocopied everything and took a statement from me. So i'm not sure whether any of this played a part in them discontinuing the case or if it was something else. All the DWP will say is that all it means is the prosecution decided there was not enough evidence for it to go to court, and not that they have changed their minds and as far as their concerned on the balance of probabilities i was living with him, so i still have to repay the money. My solicitor just said to ask them if i can make an out of time appeal and reappeal against the original decision however he doesn't do appeals, and when i asked them they said i could only do this if i have something new to appeal with. So i really feel like i'm hitting my head against a brick wall now.

The DWP makes benefit decisions, it does not decide whether or not a prosecution goes ahead in court. That's the job of the CPS/Procurator Fiscal. The DWP will present evidence saying why it believes there should be a prosecution but, ultimately, it's not up to them.

So it seems that the authorities have decided that prosecuting you is not worthwhile, and that tends to happen because they don't think such a prosecution would succeed. You don't say what the further information was, but presumably it pointed towards your innocence.

That, of course, would be your innocence of the crime of benefit fraud, but it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't been overpaid benefit. It's just that not every overpayment is the result of a prosecutable crime on the part of the claimant.

The DWP is correct, therefore. They didn't make the decision not to prosecute. That doesn't mean they're right in denying you benefit or in seeking to reclaim money already paid, or that there's nothing you can do about it. But basically, the decision about whether or not you are entitled to benefit is different from the decision about whether or not you should face a criminal trial.

At this point, I'd have to suggest that you seek advice from sources more reliable than an internet message board. That's not a comment about the posters here, who are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, but it's just too complex an issue for anyone here to give reliable advice.

Your local council may offer a Welfare Rights service and if they do, that may be your best free option.

Hi so would this not mean that if i am innocent of benefit fraud i would have been entitled to the benefits i received, you are completely right in what you are saying as this is what they are saying to me, i am just really confused.

Seconded, welfare rights are gems xx

Me too, I agree. When HB buzzes in and agrees then I'm sure that we'll have made it unanimous.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Hi so would this not mean that if i am innocent of benefit fraud i would have been entitled to the benefits i received, you are completely right in what you are saying as this is what they are saying to me, i am just really confused.

Think of it as being split into separate stages.

Stage 1 do we think that a fraud has been committed?

If yes then this leads to

Stage 2 ask for payback of over paid benefit and if warranted pass for prosecution.

What happens in stage 2 does not automatically effect the original decision made in stage 1.

So although the prosecution has been dropped their original decision has not changed therefore you are still in stage 2 and will be asked to pay back the overpayment.

What you now have to do is try again to get the original decision (in stage 1) overturned and for this as antone has suggested you should get expert help from welfare rights.

Hi Gina. The decision of the prosecutors is entirely seperate from and does not affect the decision of the DWP because they both fall within seperate categories of law.

The courts haven't decided you are innocent; the case against you has been dropped which does not equate to a verdict of innocent. The case has not been proven either way as it has not been heard. When prosecuting a person for a criminal offence, regardless of whether it is benefit fraud, assault, or murder the prosecutors have to consider the code for crown prosecutors. This code looks at "tests" to decide if the evidence is strong enough to provide a realistic prospect of conviction. If they agree that the evidence is strong enough, they then consider the part of the code which looks at whether it would be in the public interest to prosecute. If they decide that it is, then prosecution proceedings will commence. If at any point the prosecution become aware of evidence which could threaten a "realistic prospect of conviction", including evidence which would prove guilt but is excluded by law of being disclosed in court proceedings, they must consider whether or not to proceed. If the information is damaging to the point that they no longer have confidence that the case can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt, they will drop the case. That appears to be what has happened here.

A case being dropped does not prove innocence, it simply means that the evidence they have is not strong enough to prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt, which is the standard of proof required in criminal cases.

In account of the overpayment, this falls within civil law where the standard of proof is much lower, on the balance of probabilities. Even in cases where a criminal prosecution goes ahead and the court finds the defendant innocent, they have found them innocent of the criminal offence of fraud. That doesn't mean that a person was not overpaid, it just means that the money was not proven to have been obtained fraudulently.

The DWP can still legally pursue the overpayment.

As regards your appeal, don't ask them about this over the telephone. Appeal in writing. As long as you are within 13 months from the decision that you were overpaid and the case has not been to tribunal already, you can submit a late appeal. You need to provide reasons why the appeal is outwith the one month time limit so it can be decided if your reasons are sufficient for being late. They say that you have nothing new to appeal with. What about the information supplied to the prosecution which made them drop the case against you? If it has taken until now for them to become aware of this information then that is "new". Your solicitor should be able to find out for you what that evidence was, and you may be able to use that in your appeal.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi Thankyou everyone i am going to see an advice center who deals with benefit problems because this is certainly more complicated than i can deal with and thought it would be.

Hi Gina. The decision of the prosecutors is entirely seperate from and does not affect the decision of the DWP because they both fall within seperate categories of law.

The courts haven't decided you are innocent; the case against you has been dropped which does not equate to a verdict of innocent. The case has not been proven either way as it has not been heard. When prosecuting a person for a criminal offence, regardless of whether it is benefit fraud, assault, or murder the prosecutors have to consider the code for crown prosecutors. This code looks at "tests" to decide if the evidence is strong enough to provide a realistic prospect of conviction. If they agree that the evidence is strong enough, they then consider the part of the code which looks at whether it would be in the public interest to prosecute. If they decide that it is, then prosecution proceedings will commence. If at any point the prosecution become aware of evidence which could threaten a "realistic prospect of conviction", including evidence which would prove guilt but is excluded by law of being disclosed in court proceedings, they must consider whether or not to proceed. If the information is damaging to the point that they no longer have confidence that the case can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt, they will drop the case. That appears to be what has happened here.

A case being dropped does not prove innocence, it simply means that the evidence they have is not strong enough to prove the case beyond all reasonable doubt, which is the standard of proof required in criminal cases.

In account of the overpayment, this falls within civil law where the standard of proof is much lower, on the balance of probabilities. Even in cases where a criminal prosecution goes ahead and the court finds the defendant innocent, they have found them innocent of the criminal offence of fraud. That doesn't mean that a person was not overpaid, it just means that the money was not proven to have been obtained fraudulently.

The DWP can still legally pursue the overpayment.

As regards your appeal, don't ask them about this over the telephone. Appeal in writing. As long as you are within 13 months from the decision that you were overpaid and the case has not been to tribunal already, you can submit a late appeal. You need to provide reasons why the appeal is outwith the one month time limit so it can be decided if your reasons are sufficient for being late. They say that you have nothing new to appeal with. What about the information supplied to the prosecution which made them drop the case against you? If it has taken until now for them to become aware of this information then that is "new". Your solicitor should be able to find out for you what that evidence was, and you may be able to use that in your appeal.

Hi it is not within 13mths from their original decision as they never procescuted me until 12mths later so does this mean i wouldn't be able to appeal again now as it's 18mths since the decision was made. In my iuc i was never asked if i had anything to support what i was saying, i do have lots to support this do you think this would be classed as new information.

I'm afraid the law would prevent an appeal tribunal in that case. There is an absolute time limit set on appeals of 13 months. The tribunal service cannot accept an appeal after this time.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I'd like to point here I have absolutely knowledge of this so this is a bit of a longshot & leftfield suggestion!

Would it be worth getting somebody to go through this with a fine toothed comb to see if there is any reason whereby a complaint could be raised.

i.e. due to the DWP not following procedure or a mistake on there part?

As in theory the compensation would probably be the amount of benefit.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here. It was just a mad though I had so have no idea on the practicality or merit of this suggestion.