HELP with a problem ex customer of a failed business?

DonnieP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, well my Classic Scooter Repairs business has failed and shut over the easter bank holiday and now I have a problem with a customer and am now looking at some form of legal way to get my money from him.

The shop closed for good on the easter bank holiday weekend but before it did there were still 2 scooters left there belonging to customers.

One wasn't finished, the other was and the guy couldnt come get it for 2 weeks.

Well, I didnt want them sitting left locked up so some administrators / recievers could have them, after all they weren't my property they were someone elses.

I told the fella that needed the work doing I would get it finished at my cost and deliver it to him, which I did, job done.

However, the one that was finished is a problem, and probably a legal one at this point!

Short story is that he'd come off it some time ago and didnt want to go through the insurance, and didnt want to report the off to the police (apparantly a range rover ran him off the road coming round a bend on the wrong side)

Anyway, its a particular model 1963 Lambretta Series 3 with a chrome ring, all the headset was wrecked completely and there was some damage to the legshields and rear runner and panel, while the panel and leggies weren't totalled the headset was.

So, it was with us for several months as we were unable to source a decent quality 40 year old headset, thought I got one at a autojumble at wicksteed in december which looked great until we had it in the parts washer and discovered that some clever dick had shaved the bottom off the headset turning a non chrome ring into a chrome ring but it was slightly askew.

To be fair the kinda thing many would be happy using on their own scooter but not on a customers.

Ended up getting one that was proper locally and bobs your uncle, though sprayings not easy in the cold weather!

So, all in all we'd had the scooter for about 8 months with one thing and another though its been ready now for him since the middle of march and its been one thing after another.

So, it owes the business (which doesnt exist anymore) £680 all in for all the bits and the work and I'd like the money to pay off some of the debts left over but the guys messing me about.

Basically initially there was no problem, I could deliver it to him, then he couldnt make it, then he wanted his brother with him to be sure we'd "done what we said", then they wanted to come to me to pick it up check it over, then it's "I have no comeback if something goes wrong"

So far he's cost me nothing but hassle and he accuses me of having it for ages, I feel that he's calling my trust into question, he's aggressive and the latest is that he wants to organise him his brother and a mechanic from cambridge way to come check it over and that's going be be another 3 or 4 weeks!

Im proper sick of this and Ive been storing it securely at a mates but thats now costing me £30 a week, he says i can store it in my back garden but then what if it gets nicked, my insurance doesnt cover it and ive told him that.

So, we've told him maybe he should come get it and we'll have to go down the small claims court which I think may be my only option now to be honest unless anyone can think of any other solution or avenue I can pursue?

Please someone must have some idea of where I can go with this or point me in the right direction? I'm genuinely at the end of my tether.

Don't let it go until you get paid.

Make it clear that he will incur storage costs from XXX date.

You are right not to leave it in the garden. You have a duty to make sure that it is secure.

If it is inspected then make sure it is not taken away. Make sure that it is not inspect on the road - but in your premises.

Seems to me that you should agree a price, get it paid - not by cheque but by cash and get rid of it.

I suggest that you get ready to sue. Make sure that you get your claim in first. Don't part with the bike until the judge says that you should.

Make sure that you include storage in your claim.

Are you a limited company?