Housing Benefit Application.

busybee3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will try and make it as brief as possible.

I filled a claim form for housing benefit beginning of April and was told they needed to see current tax credit award letter so finally three weeks later I get it and take to them.

Forward another three weeks and I have received a letter requesting more info to proceed with claim:

Up to date payslips(as now others are out of date)

Child benefit letter(which I asked would I need at start and they said no bank statement would verify that)

And details of account to which I had made a few small bank transfers.

This I didn't think of at all,its a french bank account which DH uses for paying his credit card and has 40 euros at most in it.

I was told I have 28 days to supply the info or they would cancel the claim and that would mean starting all over again?

Tbh I am getting stressed out now and think it would be far less hassle(and faster) if I try and find some work at nights thus not needing to ask for help.

There is no way I can get all the info needed in time so do I just let it go past the 28 days and they automatically cancel the claim or do I need to tell them I am going to look for work rather than proceed.

DH doesn't want to ask his employer again for 5 weeks of payslips(has to get them from accountant) and is already embarassed asking first time around.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks

Hello there. Sorry I don't know the answer, but this sounds illogical to me. They want more info because they've taken so long that it's older than they'd like?

I'd have thought a declaration by you that nothing has changed ought to do, but then we're dealing with authority, aren't we?

This wouldn't be covered by an Ombudsman would it? I threatened a local authority with that years ago and their attitude changed completely.

I'm sure more help will be along later.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi honeybee,

They said that the dates on wage slips were no good now and had to have the latest five weeks,no questions.I did ask and see why but was told thats the way it is.

Also telling me I need to get a copy of child benefit letter(just moved so would need to ring and request new one sent out) despite me asking a few times at the start were they sure I didn't need that and was told no don't worry ,your bank statements show it going in and tax credit award shows their names.

And now would have to try and get hold of two months statements from DH bank account in France.He uses that bank to pay his credit card(its required e have the account to have the card) and I had sent a few standing order payments to it to pay it.That has all of 40 euros in it.

I know that wouldn't get here in time and they insist on originals not printoffs so DH's family over there can't help.

I seriously think it would be far quicker and less stressful for me to get hold of a small job at night for a few hours to make up the shortfall until we back on our feet fully.

I understand why they want to see everything and need it but the time and it takes and run around is awful.

I have never claimed it before and to be honest just want to leave it now,they have wore me down.

If I fail to provide all the above within the time limit(3 weeks left) will they just cancel the application?Or do I need to tell them?

Also don't want the hassle of being in a situation that if our income increases(and in turn affects tax credits) that it can lead to overpayments etc with HB

I was told by a woman on the reception desk that this happens quite a bit.

Ok we have decided we don't need the hassle and constantly worrying that HB is going to overpay or keep asking for more info.

Far easier to try and pick up a bit of extra work.Its hard enough trying to keep on track with tax credits,don't need more things to worry.

So as regards to the letter asking for more payslips,details of the bank account and needing child benefit letter :if we want to not proceed with the claim do we just allow it to run past the date they need it by and then they will cancel the application or do I need to put something in writing?

Sorry to ramble but I panic over everything and make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Hi there. I hope someone will turn up and comment with authority.

In the meantime, can I apologise for signing myself HB and send you a big hug? I'm sure you'll come through this.

HB :)

Thanks HB :)

btw, when I first saw your post on the forum home page, I just saw bee and 3 and thought it was me! Then I thought, hang on a minute, I didn't post that!

I hope you get some answers, sorry I can't tell you.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you want to withdraw your claim, you need to do this in writing.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

So I couldn't just let the date pass and it would be closed by them?

Or phone and tell them?The letter gave the impression that it would be closed if I didn't get the info in by the specified date.

btw, when I first saw your post on the forum home page, I just saw bee and 3 and thought it was me! Then I thought, hang on a minute, I didn't post that!

I hope you get some answers, sorry I can't tell you.

HB x

Haha,thanks :)

Erika advises well.

You are dealing with bureaucracy and there may some time in the future that you'll want to re-apply for HB or LHA. The council may then drag this up against you as a "failure to comply". When I deal with my council I have learned to do everything in writing and get proof that they've received it.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

So I couldn't just let the date pass and it would be closed by them?

Or phone and tell them?The letter gave the impression that it would be closed if I didn't get the info in by the specified date.

You could wait for it to be cancelled, if you wish however you are concerned about doing things correctly;

Ok we have decided we don't need the hassle and constantly worrying that HB is going to overpay or keep asking for more info.

Far easier to try and pick up a bit of extra work.Its hard enough trying to keep on track with tax credits,don't need more things to worry.

So as regards to the letter asking for more payslips,details of the bank account and needing child benefit letter :if we want to not proceed with the claim do we just allow it to run past the date they need it by and then they will cancel the application or do I need to put something in writing?

Sorry to ramble but I panic over everything and make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Thanks for any help.

If you don't want the claim to continue, the correct process to follow is to write and tell them that you wish to withdraw. You might be able to tell them over the phone; they may insist on a withdrawal in writing for security reasons.

The letter doesn't have to be written in any particular format, just a line or two stating that you wish to withdraw the claim and signing the letter is enough - you do not need to give a reason.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)