• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Monstermind v Ulster Bank

monstermind
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Starting a thread to record my progress against Ulster Bank.

State Of Play so far:

9 June: sent subject access request

25 August: eventually received duplicate statements.

Have drawn up a schedule of charges. £2244.07 from when the a/c was opened in 2002 up to 25th May 2006.

I'm due a statement for the last 3 months in a few days time. There are a few more charges for this period, so I'm going to wait til I receive my latest statement, and add these charges to the schedule before sending off my initial request for a refund.

I have one question which I hope someone will be able to answer. I have scoured other threads for an answer but haven't found one -

A lot of the charges are for £30, £37.50 etc and I have no problem asking for these back. But I also have a lot of "irregular account charges" which I have included in the schedule. These charges are for £10, £11, £12 and £13 each (seem to have gone up £1 every year!)

Are these charges also considered extortionate? Could Ulster argue that they legitimately reflect their admin costs?

Should I consider leaving them off the schedule and only claiming the £30+ ones? This would bring the amount claimed down by about half.

Any thoughts welcome!

Ulster Bank

Paid in full Jan 2007, £2266.00

Hi Monstermind

I included irregular account charges in my claim. If it hadn't been for their other charges my account may not have been 'irregular'. Would be interested to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

Bettyboop

PS Good luck

• Confused 1

Ulster Bank -

Data Protection Act Sent 16 June 2006

Preliminary Request for payment sent 5 Aug 2006 - £1690.02

LBA sent 17 Aug 2006

Claim submitted 27.9.06 Total £2439.45

Lloyds TSB -

Data Protection Act sent 9 March

Half statements received 5 July (half missing)

Prelim Req for Pay sent 9 August (partially estimated)

LBA sent 25 August 2006 (£393.00) missing statements received

Claim submitted 27.9.06 Total £556.79 Papers served - response date 26 December 2006

Capitol One

Full and Final Settlement received for £1095.23

Nationwide

Prelim Request for repayment sent 26 August 2006 (£1469.50)

LBA sent 15 September 2006

Thanks Bettyboop, and good luck with your claim too.

I think I will include these smaller charges, bearing in mind that Ulster Bank ROI deduct something like 3 euros for an irregular account charge.

I can't see how they could prove my charges reflect their actual costs, when they're more than 5 times what they charge customers south of the border.

Ulster Bank

Couldn't agree more. They have some nerve as regards the difference in charges North and South. Surely they would find that impossible to justify.

Imagine if (for instance) NatWest charged their customers in Scotland more than their customers in England - there would be a huge uproar. We always seem to end up with a raw deal in NI.

The usual excuse when things are more expensive here is "its that stretch of water between us and the mainland - more expensive to get to etc etc". Well now the last time I looked, I didn't see any water at the border lol.

Will keep updating my thread with any new info on my claim against Ulster Bank (due to lodge court claim this week). There are quite a few of us now and hopefully more will join in. Ulster Bank are the pits when it comes to charging.

Good luck. Will keep an eye on your thread.

Bettyboop

PS - your claim is over £2k - will you be doing 2 separate claims?

Ulster Bank -

LBA sent 17 Aug 2006

Lloyds TSB -

Claim submitted 27.9.06 Total £556.79 Papers served - response date 26 December 2006

Capitol One

Nationwide

Too right, Bettyboop, NI customers get ripped off at every opportunity, and I reckon the NI-based banks (Ulster especially!!) are masters at this.

It's not just their eagerness to slap penalty charges on everyone to boost their profits, it's the wee things like charging £4 for setting up DDs etc

I will have to make 2 separate claims if it comes to that, which I'm guessing it will. I'll claim the max £2k first time round, and go back for the odds if they're still not playing ball :)

Ulster Bank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Received a response from Ulster Bank customer relations unit, Noelette Hassett, dated 18 Sept.

"We believe our charges are fair, reasonable and transparent" etc, etc..... "having considered all the points made in your letter, I am happy to inform you that I have refunded your account with £60 as a gesture of goodwill."

Some way short of the 2K I asked for. LBA printed and going recorded delivery Monday morning.

Ulster Bank

ur lucky

i got sweet fa lol

s.a.r handed to manager-2-8-06

aknowledgement letter recieved 4-8-06

letter from dpm 10-8-06

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance 10 days left 29-8-06

statements recieved 31/8/06

prelim letter 1/9/06

letter recieved from cru 9/9/06

lba-sent 15-9-06

small claims started 17-9-06

agreed to settle

with condition removed that i cant make another claim

waiting for funds

part 2

small claims for £893 filed 14/10/06

Hi Im New, Just Starting To Reclaim Ulster Bank Charges. Last Week I Went Overdrawn By 69p So They Slapped On £30. Then A S/o For £10 Couldnt Be Took Out So They Slapped Another £30 On. On Sat I Recieved A Letter Telling Me They Are Taking Another £30. I Phoned The Branch. No Refund But If I Wanted To Come Into The Branch To Discuss My Finances I Could!!! Cant Wait To Write My Dpa Letter

Good luck Shovey! Quite a few of us after Ulster Bank now!

Bettyboop

Ulster Bank -

LBA sent 17 Aug 2006

Lloyds TSB -

Capitol One

Nationwide

u will

s.a.r handed to manager-2-8-06

aknowledgement letter recieved 4-8-06

letter from dpm 10-8-06

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance 10 days left 29-8-06

statements recieved 31/8/06

prelim letter 1/9/06

letter recieved from cru 9/9/06

lba-sent 15-9-06

small claims started 17-9-06

agreed to settle

with condition removed that i cant make another claim

waiting for funds

part 2

small claims for £893 filed 14/10/06

• 3 weeks later...

Response to LBA received yesterday, from Ulster's CRU, dated 11 Oct:

"... charges are fair, reasonable and transparent ..... the charges that have been applied to your account must stand....", etc, etc.

Am now in the process of preparing my small claims documentation ....

Ulster Bank