Jump to content

Council Tax issue with landlord.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi there im a brand new poster and have an issue with my landlord which im unsure what to do. Basicaly me and my partner are in scotland and we agreed a short assured tenancy for 6 months with our landlord, which was fine. Upon living in the flat for a few days we realised the flat was a little damp esp in the bedroom, however it was nothing terrible. This damp however began to get worse and worse so we informed the landlord he attempted to fix but was unable too. The damp got so bad that my partner who has chronic asthma had to leave and move elsewhere as the damp was casing her serious health issues. We informed the landlord that we were looking to terminate the lease due to the extent of the damp and the effect on our health. The landlored accepted this and was aware of the problems the damp was causing. He informed us that he would allow us to leave but would not be refunding our deposit, fair enough i thought as technically we are leaving early, however he then also added that we shoudl also remain liable for the council tax for the period which covers the lease. I had already called the council as well as the gas/electrcity that our lease had terminated and we had moved out. I guess my question is can the landlord pick and choose which parts of the rental agreement is disregarded ie rent payments but not others ie council tax payments? With us not having paid the rent and the landlord having accepted this does this break the lease by default?


Any advice would be much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No he can,t ,as long as you have informed the council that you are no longer a tennant you should have no problem. same goes for any utility bills.As he has accepted verbally that you can leave tell him to go and do one

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...