I have been released from the Bear Garden to come ask advise on ESA.

SOD'EM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SOD'EM, it was so sad to read your post. I'm glad you felt able to post it 'though, you have so much love and support here and you know we are all wishing you the very best. Irrespective of monday. That's simply a half-hour you need to get through and not consider what the outcome may be.

I'm glad your Dads ok as it must be a very trying time for both of you.

Best wishes

Rae

I have seen yet another different GP. She thinks that the meds I am on for my blood pressure are too strong so has halfed the dose (even though my BP is still well over the top). I have to go back next week to see if I need to take other meds with it. I have also been given Citalopram which is meant to help calm me down. Thank God for this site, as I think I would have completely lost it by now without it.

I just can't wait to get Monday over and done with. My appointment is first thing Monday morning which is the worst possible time, as people are grumpy then. Including ATOS medical officers:(.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Hello again Sod'em,

when you go to the ESA centre on Monday it is important for you to bear in mind that the "examination" has already begun without you entering the exam room - am I talking about your every interaction with them being noted:

E.g. If they phoned you to arrange the appointment they will have already marked you as "can reliably answer the phone and take a message".

E.g. When they ask you (at the reception) if you want to claim your travel expenses they will keep you standing to observe "can stand comfortably for x minutes".

E.g. The waiting room chairs are low and without arms and there are many CCTV cameras - this is to see if you "can rise from a seated position without either; help from another person", or, "needs to use his arms to get up".

Here's a link to a useful blog where others tell of the ATOS mad (erm...med) centre experience, please be sure to take a look at these accounts from others who've got the "T shirt" already.

ATOS medical assessment centres Dwp examination

Best regards and good luck,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Crazy, isn't it? Paul is right though. Pretend you're Robert Redford or Brad Pitt and do the ill bit [i hope you're male, if not very sorry] and whatever you do, don't try to be brave.

Have you swotted up on the Brighton Campaign people's analysis of how LiMA works, because I think you must. The more I think about it, the worse it seems. Grrrr.

But it's not the end of the world as we know it after Monday, there are appeals, so don't go getting all nervous. Before you go in, take a deep breath and say to yourself 'I can do this, I deserve it'. [sod'em, as one of fellow caggers says it.] 'And I have who knows how many caggers behind me, so there!'

Please keep posting if we can help. HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

I told them my son brought me in his car (he did though) otherwise you are "happy to use public transport" etc.

Even though they will still rob you, you need to get the right facts in place for the appeal.

dj

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.

I can't possibly go on physical ailments, although I have an enlarged heart and high BP. I still don't know to what extent my heart may be damaged. As for Public Transport, that is a no no. I just can't hack too many people around me at the moment.:(

I too predict a riot! Because of wrong doers the inocent are getting punished. I too am going through a scenario like sodem, not on a health basis but a marital basis.

They knew that i used her address for correspondences, mail, banks and so on. They actually told me that as long as I dont live there and I have her consent I am fine.

Idiots! These are the same people who told me that if I join the fireforce that I would lose my JSA and be entitled to no benefit. The course was with London Fire Brigade and a two year course. Full time education and allot of travelling, a bit like the army but no pay. The sods, because of this I lost out on the career that I truly wanted. Then when I sign off to find another job they told me that there were other benefits I could have taken. Too late then as I have to wait a year and then I would have been too old as the oldest they took then was 27. !!!!!!!!

Anyway, I feel for you sodem. Becuase of brainless thugs you ended up with all these problems, although the heart issue would have come out anyway. It angers me to know that victims still get no real support and the offenders get VIP cells and holidays. Just like my neighbour but that is another story.

Thanks for reading..

PMSC69

Sorry guys for not posting yesterday, I was just too disgusted at how ATOS get away with what they do.

I was a nervous wreck when I arrived but they still made me wait nearly an hour before my name was called. Others must have thought I was a lunatic, I just couldn't keep still. When I actually got called, it was a doctor who could hardly speak any English (I think he was African). He proceeded with his assessment but he just sounded like a computer. He was reading the questions to me staright from his computer, but he just reeled them off one by one. He didn't listen to one thing I had to say.:mad: I was shaking, stuttering and at one point cried but he ignored that and carried on asking questions like "Do you go to the shops, if so is it a local shop or supermarket?", "Do you shave?", "Can you dress yourself?".

He must have my ESA form somewhere which tells them why I don't think I am able to work just yet. I asked him if he had any training in mental illnesses or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome but he just ignored me and carried on asking his pointless questions. I then told him that these questions are unnesesary because I can walk, lift (but nothing too heavy until I have seen a chardiologist) and even run, so why are you asking me these questions? There was not one question on mental issues, all questions related to physical issues. I am disgusted because I thought they had been told to include mental issues more now than they used to.

I tried telling him that I am worried I may hurt someone as I have recently been hitting walls and stuff and breaking things (all of which are totally out of character for me), but he just ignored it again. I told him I have recently had night terrors and have had a few bedtime accidents. Again, he ignored this. He did take my blood pressure which was 191 over 107:eek:, but I don't think that helps me one bit.

The actual assessment only took about 20 minutes before he just said "I think I have enough information now to do my report", and then told me I could go.:confused:

I can't beleive he never had any questions regarding my problems and I obviously know what response I am going to get from the DWP. So it looks like appeal time. I now also have to go to my GP's on a weekly basis as I am taking Anti Depressants and I have had to cut down the dosage on my BP tablets because the stronger ones where making me collapse. I will now have to have more than one tablet to control my BP as it is still much too high.

If I think of anything else I will post it. But I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through that ridicule I went through yesterday. It's a total shambles.:mad:

• Haha 1

That is typical. Chances are that this guy is not a proffessional and is in training, hence the reading the questions out from the screen. It's cheaper for them to use non qualified staff in training and they are trained to get the results they need.

I am sure that you have the right for a second opinion. Are you on anti-depresents? I know its horrible to ask and a pill that changes your life but it can help if you are becuase it will automatically place you on the records with a mental issue. No offense, due to work issues I am now on anti-depresents. The pills have helped keep me calm but I dont have the interviews that you have.

Thanks for reading..

PMSC69

That is typical. Chances are that this guy is not a proffessional and is in training, hence the reading the questions out from the screen. It's cheaper for them to use non qualified staff in training and they are trained to get the results they need.

I am sure that you have the right for a second opinion. Are you on anti-depresents? I know its horrible to ask and a pill that changes your life but it can help if you are becuase it will automatically place you on the records with a mental issue. No offense, due to work issues I am now on anti-depresents. The pills have helped keep me calm but I dont have the interviews that you have.

I started on Anti Depressants on Friday, early days yet.

The assessor had a badge saying DR on it, so I presumed he was a doctor. But we all know what presumption has done in the past:rolleyes:.

Thanks for your concern. Indeed, I thank everyone on here for their concern. It has helped me a great deal.

Sod'em, yes it is ridiculous the way they treat you. The only saving grace for me is that they did write down what I said.

I was expecting the appeal bundle to be grossly negligent but it wasn't.

The only thing missing was the points. :confused: Mine was a PCA for IB so I don't know how much difference that makes.

You must keep your hopes up for the appeal. I'm up and down about my own prospects I must admit.

dj

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.

To be honest, I am not bothered either way. I just cannot cope with the way JSA badger you into doing things that I don't feel I can cope with at the moment. It's not about the money. I just want them to give me time to get myself sorted out. I beleive the appeal process can take 6-9 months. Hopefully by that time I will feel better and can get back into the work scenario.

It's a bummer Sod'em, and best wishes and big hugs from me too. So you'll be going to appeal will you? From what I know and from posts on the forum by Loan Ranger, sadly nothing to do with Atos surprises me.

When you feel more able, we'll help you put your appeal together. In the meantime if you break something, don't let it be you.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

SDO'EM my friend, hope this all goes well. One of my life moto's is "hope for the best and be prepaired for the worst." I know nothing of these matters, maybe PM bookie as this is a well trodden path for her, and Rae also knows this system, so you're in good hands.

Just wanted to pass on my support, and also to subscribe to your thread :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for all your support and I will obviously keep everyone up to scratch as things happen. Does anyone have any idea as to how long it will be before I hear from the DWP?

:p Definitely a boy HB (last time I looked anyway):confused:.

I thought they would'nt be able to wait to let me know that ATOS have said I am fit for work (I am 99% certain that is what they are going to say anyway). Shall I just keep sending my medical certificates in then?

• Haha 1

Hi, So sorry you have had to go through this crap.

I had my medical om 22/09/09 and found out the result on 24/10/09.

I appealed and finally went to tribunal last week, 7 months later.

You do still have to send in your doctors certificates, we would all be worthy of an Oscar if we could fool our G.Ps for so long and its pretty disrespectful for the government to ignore our G.Ps, wasnt their training paid for by the British tax payers?

I had my letter through in less than 2 weeks. If you have a friendly GP i'd sugguest take your "medical" report in with you.

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Wow, sorry I've only just found your thread. :-(

You are in good hands with the ESA/ATOS pros though, so I'll pipe down on that subject.

I was going to say something about depression when you mentioned the black figure grabbing you, because I know that figure very well. A few years back, I would wake up jolting upright from a nightmare I couldn't remember, and see a black cowled menacing figure lurking in the corner by my bedroom door and thought my heart would explode from fright.

Thankfully, Prozac killed the b*stard. ;-)

Big hugs to you, you'll get there. :-)

Thanks Bookie.

Can you wing some of that Prozac to me please:p.

I am only on mild AD's at the moment as I really didn't want to go on them at all. My Blood Pressure has stayed high (regardless of the meds I have had). I just couldn't beleive that the ATOS (and I use this term loosely) doctor did not ask me one question regarding Mental Health (even though he could clearly see I was shook up and uncomfortable). He did feel my palm and he could see that it was all clammy, but that didn't seem to bother him.

I couldn't understand most of the things he said either. I understood the questions as he must have asked them a million times to other people. It was as if he was reading them from a book.

Unbeleivable:mad: