CAG toolbar - very disappointing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The take-up of the CAG toolbar is very disappointing - and we really do need some help.

If you haven't downloaded it then please have a look. The most important thing for us is that you use the search function because it will generate some revenue for us if you click the sponsored ads.

It doesn't cost you anything at all. The money comes from the sponsors of the ads.

You can download the toolbar from here

We have bills to pay and it is very tight at the moment.

No one gets paid except one person who does admin for us.

Donations are very down. Book sales have become a trickle and the couple of advertising links that we have don't produce anything much at all.

At the moment, any revenue of any use is produced by our search boxes at the top and the bottom of the forum.

We think that we can increase this if you use our toolbar on your browser and get into the habit of using it for your normal searches.

The revenue problem is a problem for the CAG and it is a problem for all of the people who come to us for help because it means that our existence becomes precarious.

You would imagine that with over quarter million registered users and 700,000 unique visitors per month that donations would be flooding in and that everything would be hunky-dory.

Well it's not like that at all. Hardly anyone donates. Some people donate £10 but most people who donate are now donating £1 or £2. I appreciate that for many people even these small sums are a sacrifice but after Paypal takes its cut, there isn't much left. And of course, the vast majority of people just don't contribute anything at all.

How can you help us?

Of course, if you can donate then that would be great. But if you can't afford it, then don't worry. Don't get yourselves back into debt on our account - but what you can do, at no cost to yourself, is to download our toolbar and use it to make your web searches. If enough people did that it would make a big difference.

How else can you help? Refer to our toolbar in your forum signatures and let your friends know.

You could even include a link to our toolbar page in your emails.

Whatever you can do to help.

Hi bankfodder,

I think many people are wary of search tools especially ones that generate revenue. There are privacy implications of course and also the question of which engine is used. Also being new here my first impression of the forums are that it's overloaded with advertising and most visitors are only going to be here a short time until their problem is resolved so using a toolbar and getting donations from them is going to be difficult.

Exactly how much are the overheads, I'm not sure if you're profit making or not? These days you shouldn't be paying anymore than a few pound for hosting and maintenace and if you are then I recommend changing provider.

ive only just noticed it ...should have it inserted in the bottom of thr reply section,not on the side,i was lucky i saw it otherwise i would nt have known,brilliant idea and very easy to work well done cag :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Something is amiss BF. I have just clicked on one of the displayed adverts and it has said that "I do not have permission to access that page".

I have logged out and back in again and have rebooted by PC, so you won't be getting any commission from a sale that I can't now proceed with.

@Bankfodder have you considered things like Google AdSense? I had a highly successful return for a low traffic charity even website I did. If revenue from books and things isn't getting a lot maybe trial other ways to generate income?

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.