Mobile phone company say they never received my notice of cancellation.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Last year in October I cancelled my mobile phone contract. I sent it via recorded delivery and took screen shot of signature that signed for it.

I realised in December that they were still taking payment from my bank account so I emailed them to ask why it wasnt cancelled but they could not proceed further due to data protection (I think).

Due to bereavement I have not been able to chase this up until March. I have to admit now that my original contract was in my maiden name and I didnt the name on my contract. So had to send them my marriage certificate. I have s copy of the letter I sent, I have the recorded delivery slip and a copy of the signature accepting delivery.

So today I receive a letter saying they have no record of me cancelling my contract, they also have seen my emails in December but are only willing to refund me 3 months payments.

So my question is do I just leave it? accept the three months as i did send cancellation in my married name rather than maiden. although with telephone number and account number. or do i send a lba which i am tempted to do. I am also worried in case i have to go back to orange in future.

anyway i hope all this makes sense and would be grateful for a prompt either way.

Azure

Okay, so you wrote to Orange requesting cancellation of your account and sent it via recorded delivery and have proof of when it was signed for as well as the signature.

In addition, I'm presuming that Orange received it at the time as how would they know that the letter didn't state your maiden name? Also, when did they initially inform you of this?

If they informed you in writing at the time but didn't receive anything you did at least follow things up via email in December. Other than telling you that they couldn't do anything else due to Data Protection did they follow things up with you in writing at all?

I think some common sense needs to prevail here and as such I suggest writing to them again clearing stating the timeline of what's happened so far and what you'd like them to do to sort it out.

Your letter - although sent by RD (well done!) would not have been acted upon for the simple reason that the account isn;t in the name of the letter writer. Normally, you would expect at least a response pointing this out, but I've heard it successfully argued that to do this would/could be seen as a potential data breach as a (limited) confirmation that the un-named person may have an account with the network, and the could not disclose this.

The fact you gave the incorrect information they required seriously disadvantages you, and as they have offered a 3 month credit, I think this is a fair compromise, as they could just of easily dug their heels in and offered nothing.