Unfair or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to avoid making this a really long boring post, i will try and get to the point by giving you an overview!

Sep 09 we bought a 1989 volkswagen Passat for 1200 pounds, when we bought it we noticed that when we turned the engine on a hazard light came on but we spoke to the garage that we bought it from and (us being a bit stupid really) accepted his explanation when he said it was 'nothing'. Anyway, the MOT was due a month ago, the last MOT certificate stated an advisory on the brake pads so i knew we would have to pay out for that, so 450 pounds later (i didn't think it would be that much!) we were then left with a problem with yes you've guessed it, the light on the dashboard, the original MOT garage gave up and said we had to take it somewhere else, we tried there, they couldn't help either, apparently it came down to the fact that none of their laptops could connect with the ABS on our car, so we were advised to take it to a volkswagen dealer garage which we did today. The garage phoned me this afternoon and told me that it would appear that the ABS control panel which controls the hazard light etc and the ABS is a model that they cannot trace, they said they assume it is second hand and has come off a scrap yard or something, but it is actually meant for a 4 wheel drive and ours is a 2 wheel drive. We're not sure what make of car it is meant for although i'm guessing probably not a volkswagen. Anyway, to sort it so it will pass the MOT is going to cost 1400. We just don't have that, we have 2 young babies, and money is tight and its not an option as it is more than the car cost. I've been on to trading standards and they say i have a case under the sale of goods act, and that my first step is to write the garage a letter. I just wanted to know if anyone else had been through this and what the outcome was. I'm going to declare the car SORN tonight as i don't want to incur fines etc but just want to know of any success stories. Its happened to us so its done but i'd hate to think that there might be other families with young kiddies driving around in a vehicle that might be potentially dangerous! I don't think he should get away with it. Anyway, if you're not asleep by now, thanks for reading!

Something doesnt ring right in this one to me. First of all if the car had an advisory for brake pads then they should have been changed well before the next MOT was due, the cost would have been no where near 450 if that had happened. Sounds like the pads were completely shot and as such you have had to replace the discs as well. The original garage should not have sold the car on with an advisory on the brake pads for all it costs to replace them.

Now I am no expert in ABS sensors, but I cannot see what difference there would be in an ABS sensor for a two wheel drive car or a four wheel drive car, as both can have 4 calipers and abs only comes into play under heavy braking when there is NO drive to the wheels.

However a quick google search shows that this was a common problem with the passat 98-04, so I would not be surprised if the sensor had either been replaced or has not been working for quite a while.

Now I learned to drive in cars without abs, and even to this day often disable my abs when driving in snow. Seems to me that your abs IS working, just your sensor that is faulty, your call, but i would be removing a bulb I think.

Kwaks, useful input but wide of the mark unfortunately in a lot of respects. For starters you cannot overide the ABS system, I would say it's the slip control you are referring to which can be turned off. This relies on ABS signals and when turned off the ABS will still be functioning.

The brakes could easily cost £450 with fitting and vat and the advisory is just that as it the wear degredation depends on driving style and use. So it's very difficult to gauge.

ABS sensors generally work in two ways and there is a huge difference in the way they work and are not compatible so it's probably safe to assume it's not the sensors here.

I think the issue is with the control unit and the workings of such are very different with 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. The hardware architecture and software are significantly different.

Easiest solution at present is to ask the dealer what part number the control unit should be according to the chassis number then source the correct unit from reputable breakers. You need to get every number that applies to the unit to make sure it's comparable, eg software level if applicable.

If dealer won't play ball then phone VAG in Milton Keynes and ask for technical support. They are not allowed now to withold this information.

Changing the unit is straight forward.

Can the OP say what the light was that came on prior to the pad and disc change and if it's the same one now? Also is it actually the ABS light. It's not too clear from the post.