• Tweets

• Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
    • I emailed both. Tarry's came back "Please note that I have now left the business. Please contact Matthew Barnes ([email protected])  going forward" so will send to him.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS credit card claim won now new claim after sale by OC

hammyhound
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I have received my hearing date for my application and it is not for another couple of months!!!!

In the meantime, the court ordered that the claimant produce the original POC and my defence to the original claim. They had to send it by a certain date. They sent it 5 days after that date. What is the point of the court giving unless orders and then allowing documents to be sent so long after that date.

Do you think the judge wants to see what the original POC was and is this good news for me.

Surely the same debt is the same material facts and therefore they should have asked for permission.

HH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polite bump if I may, is it possible that a judge would look at the documents and decide before my hearing that the claim should be struck out or will they wait for the hearing and have us battle it out at court.

HH

Ok, it cannot be dealt with without a hearing really, as the problem you face is that an exparte order would almost certainly be subject to a application to set aside and costs.

The proper place is before the court for both parties to argue their arguments and then for the judge to decide who is right

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks PT

They have also made an application for my defence to be struck out which is going to be listed at the same hearing as mine.

Their excuse for the withdrawal of the previous proceedings - they could not locate the DN!!!!!!

HH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My application is coming up soon and I have to file written evidence - I presume in the form of a statement do I just word the statement as is ie claim issued, then discontinued by consent, fresh DN and TN lodged and then new proceedings commenced. Should I include their letter as an exhibit saying "the material facts are different we couldn't locate the DN and TN last time so that is why we discontinued. I also notice on the TN that they have included my current account and yet in their application they say it is not relating to the current account only the loan account. Would anything else need to go in. The DN btw is invalid only gave me 13 days as there was a bank holiday in the postage time.

HH

Just had a thought, can I use the Henderson case in my argument.

The court set down the principles to be applied in abuse of process cases, where a matter was raised again which should have been dealt with in earlier proceedings.

Sir James Wigram VC said: “In trying this question I believe I state the rule of the Court correctly when I say that, where a given matter becomes the subject of litigation in, and of adjudication by, a court of competent jurisdiction, the Court requires the parties to that litigation to bring forward their whole case, and will not (except under special circumstances) permit the same parties to open the same subject of litigation in respect of matter which might have been brought forward as part of the subject in contest, but which was not brought forward, only because they have, from negligence, inadvertence, or even accident, omitted part of their case. The plea of res judicata applies, except in special cases, not only to points upon which the Court was actually required by the parties to form an opinion and pronounce a judgment, but to every point which properly belonged to the subject of litigation, and which the parties, exercising reasonable diligence, might have brought forward at the time.”

They did not proceed with the earlier case as they would have lost due to the fact they couldn't find the DN and TN so in the court's eyes they could not have succeeded, they would have lost and are now trying to rectify by issuing a new DN and TN and commencing new proceedings. They could not have brought the case forward due to their negligence in my eyes. They don't say in their letter we did not issue a DN and TN only they could not locate it so as far as I can say they terminated the agreement and thereby cannot reissue.

Any thoughts anyone, have to start preparing my statement over the next couple of days.

HH

Have they actually issued you with a new default notice?

They can’t just recreate a new one, plus a TN, and go back to court – they have to allow you the opportunity to remedy the breach.

Yes, withdrew from court and then issued new DN and TN and said in their application "we have now issued a new DN and TN". The DN is invalid as it only gave me 13 days due to one of the days included in the postage time being a bank holiday and therefore terminated 1 day early.

HH

Did they put the application in before the DN remedy date had expired?

They still can’t enforce in court if the notice is bad! You need to look at using CPUTR here. In my view, they are becoming vexatious.

No they reissued first and once they received my application for a strike out due to abuse of process they did the same by applying to strike out my defence both listed at the same time.

They don't know the notice is bad but I thought I should concentrate on the abuse of process in my application and also when they reissued the DN and TN the DN is invalid so I can cover all points.

So are you saying there is no abuse of process here - I am confused. The first DN in the first proceedings was compliant - they just could not locate it and because they knew they could not locate it and lose at trial they withdrew their claim - so what you are saying they can keep withdrawing time and time again until they get it right.

HH

Thanks for your help guys so this seems to have turned on its head - I thought a claimant couldn't have a second bite of the cherry if previously they had issued, I filed a defence, AQs filed and then they withdrew.

HH

now ime confused

the lawe is quite clear on this ref part 38 civil procedure rules

A claimant who discontinues a claim needs the permission of the court to make another claim against the same defendant if –

(a) he discontinued the claim after the defendant filed a defence; and

(b) the other claim arises out of facts which are the same or substantially the same as those relating to the discontinued claim.

I imagine they would claim the facts are different, ie. the account actually is now terminated whereas it was not before. This scenario needs to be tested in court for abuse of process.

stay with me on this and lets have a healthy debate

1/ the oc terminated the account after defaulting

2/ oc sells account to dca

3/ as account has been terminated, there is no account to terminate or default again

Think this one has been done to death! Look up pt2537's recent case v Link and MBNA. It effectively stated that although enforcement cannot be made on the back of a bad notice, a bad notice can be rectified. Also, if the DN was not compliant, the account could not be terminated. But I'm not aware yet of a real life case where going back to court after reissuing a compliant DN has been tested, either for abuse of process or simply for permission to re-try.

ime of the opinion the whole sinario is a breach of process and vexatious

i hope the judge throws the book at them in costs

i realy dont think the dca will try and run with this

clutching at straws comes to mind

Post, the account has never been sold it is still with the OC. In their reply to defence in the original proceedings they state "the claimant served a DN on and FD on a screen print shows that the DN was sent. Now they are not saying they didn't send it or that it was invalid/valid all they are now saying in the present proceedings are "we couldnt locate a copy"

Is is worth stating in my statement that the second proceedings were served by a different firm of solicitors and once I informed them that this had been the subject of previous proceedings which were withdrawn they handed it over to the original solicitors.

I thought my argument was basically an abuse of process, I didn't really want to go down the lines of the present proceedings DN as I automatically thought "discontinued once you can't come back with the same matter" but everyone seems to have different views.

HH